Monday 13 February 2017

An early morning at Seeswood Pool, Warwickshire - February 11, 2017

David and I went to Seeswood Pool in Warwickshire this morning as there had been four Bean Geese present since January 28th and we were hoping to find them.  It was overcast with intermittent sleet when we left home and it wasn’t much different during our visit.

We arrived on Astley Lane near the pool, which is where the birds were being seen with a flock of Greylag Geese, but there were no birds close to the road.  David noticed a flock of geese in a field to the west but the conditions weren’t conducive to looking from the road.  We went back Ashley Road and parked near a farm but the field dropped away and there didn’t appear to be anything visible.  David then found three Egyptian Geese and I went for a second look.  The three Egyptian Geese were near one of the barns and there were a few Fieldfare and Redwing in the field and I then noticed a party of geese close to the hedgerow on the opposite side.  As we started to scan the geese it was obvious that there were probably more we couldn’t see, as the field dropped away.  We spent quite some time observing the birds as they gradually walked up the field towards us.  All we could see were Greylags and an odd Canada and after a party of Canada Geese dropped in and disappeared we went back to our original position.

Initially when we scanned all we could see were Canada Geese but I then noticed four geese walking up the field quite quickly, which I thought might be the Bean Geese but they disappeared behind the barn before I was certain and David hadn’t even seen them.


We went back to the farm and when I looked near the tree where I thought the four geese would be there was nothing but then David said I’ve got them and they were now quite close to the road and I was able to get a few shots in very poor conditions.  They certainly weren't visible when we here previously and presumably they were the four birds I had seen moving quickly up the field.


Bean Goose


Bean Goose


Bean Goose


Bean Goose


Bean Goose


Bean Goose


Bean Goose


Bean Goose




No comments:

Post a Comment