Monday 13 February 2017

A brief visit to Glenfield, Leicestershire - February 11, 2017

There was a report of 100+ Waxwing on Park Drive in Glenfield, which is only about thirty minutes from home and so I decided I would go and take a look.


When I arrived, it was still miserable but the sleet was now falling as drizzle.  As I pulled up I saw a party of birds in a tree, which turned out to be Starlings but when I got out of the car I found a party of Waxwing in a tree in the opposite direction.  They were now on Dominion Road and so I walked back and got some shelter in a bus shelter, where I could see the birds.  They were dropping out of the tall tree into a smaller one and then onto the ground where they were finding berries.  When they all went back to the taller tree I tried to estimate the number and there was certainly more than 100.


A small number of the Waxwing present


Waxwing


Waxwing


Waxwing


Waxwing


Waxwings in the apple tree

No comments:

Post a Comment