Wednesday 1 February 2017

A morning at Rutland Water, Rutland - January 31, 2017

I was only out for the morning today as my wife was unwell and I was on duty for collecting the grandchildren from school.  I therefore went straight to the fisherman’s car park in the North Arm at Rutland Water hoping to connect with the overwintering Whimbrel.  Despite the weather, I saw a Buzzard near Tur Langton and a Red Kite just beyond Blaston.

When I arrived, it was overcast with some light drizzle in the cool south-east wind and as is usual for me there was no sign of the Whimbrel or anything else for that matter.
With no luck with the Whimbrel I moved to the unnamed road and after a brief look at Tim’s feeders where there was a Marsh Tit I moved to the end of the road to view


the fishponds.  There were five male and five female Goosanders but nothing else of note and so I moved to the shelter.  There were two Great White Egrets along with four Little Egrets on the bund facing into the fresh south-east wind and at least nine Dunlin on the north shore and I picked up one of the Slavonian Grebes, which was some distance away.  I moved into the field to the south of the spit where there was a single Redshank on the shoreline and I eventually found two of the Black-necked Grebes.


Two Great White and four Little Egrets on the bund

It was unpleasant in the North Arm and so I left and went to the Egleton Reserve.  After a brief chat with Stephen I set off for Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three as the Green-winged Teal was on the lagoon yesterday.

As I walked along the path alongside the large meadow two other birders were clearly watching something in the trees and when I got alongside there were at least ten Siskin and a couple of Goldfinch feeding in the Alders.  I stopped and watched them for a few minutes seeing a Red Kite fly over the large meadow before I continued onto Shoveler Hide.

There were quite a few Teal close to the hide but there was no sign of the Green-winged Teal amongst them.  As I scanned the water there was clearly a good number of Red-crested Pochard and I counted seventeen males and nine females and there two drakes and a red-headed Smew at the back of the lagoon.  The Smew took to flight and landed closer, alongside the reedbed, and joined a second red-head.  A Great White Egret then appeared towards Bittern Hide but soon disappeared again and when something spooked many of the birds a larger party of Teal appeared but the Green-winged Teal wasn’t amongst them.

I eventually walked to Lapwing Hide and initially checked out Lagoon Two where I found a Little Egret quite close to the hide and few Pintail, Shoveler and Pochard on the water.  There appeared to be far fewer birds in South Arm Three today but on closer inspection they appeared to have moved closer to the Old Hall and there were still good numbers of Tufted Duck and Coot.  As I scanned through the closer birds one of the first I picked up was the female Ruddy Duck and a pair of Goosander were a little closer before they took to flight and headed off towards the lagoons.

I called at Smew Hide on my way back but other than a Little Egret there was nothing else and I went to Buzzard Hide to see if I could see more Red-crested Pochard but I couldn't exceed my previous count of twenty-six and moved onto Sandpiper Hide on Lagoon Four.


Drake Goldeneye from Buzzard Hide

With Lagoon Four on top water it has been a little disappointing recently and today was no exception, although there were plenty of Mute Swans and Wigeon on the lagoon.  There was a nice party of circa twenty Redwings feeding just to the west of the hide along with a few Starlings.

A brief visit into Grebe Hide on Lagoon Two added nothing new and I returned to the centre to view Lagoon One, where I counted 107 Pintail but other than another Great White Egret there was little else and I called it a day.

As I was about to leave Tim appeared on what was his last day as Reserve Manager, after forty years but alas there were no cakes to celebrate.  I have been fortunate to see the reserve develop over that period into the reserve it is today, which in my opinion is the best inland site in the UK and one I have spent many a happy hour birding and hopefully will have many more.  Tim is staying on to manage Birdfair and living locally and I am certain he will remain a familiar face around the reserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment