Monday 13 February 2017

A morning at Rutland Water, Rutland - February 12, 2017

It was the monthly WeBS count today and I left home in petty miserable conditions with a fresh north-east wind and periods of sleet.  I was relieved when I got to the Volunteer’s Training Centre to learn that John Wright was involved and had made an early start in South Arm Three, which is an area I often count but can be difficult in adverse conditions.  There was a distinct shortage of counters today and with Terry Mitcham being on holiday, I suggested that I covered his area, which is Lagoons Two, Three and Four and then possibly do Lagoon One.  This was agreed and meant that I would be able to do the count from hides and avoid the worst of the weather.

I drove around to Plover Hide on Lagoon four and were I was able to count most of the lagoon from.  There were over a hundred Mute Swans on the lagoon with a few Wigeon, Shoveler, Tufted Duck and Coot scattered around and there was a male and three red-headed Smew just to the left of the hide and two Oystercatcher on an island.


I checked out Lagoon Three from Bittern Hide and could see that there was very little on the far side and therefore went into Shoveler Hide to complete the count.  There were far more birds on this lagoon that included eight Shelduck, eleven Pintail, fifteen Red-crested Pochard, a Little Egret and a couple of Snipe and there were also Mute Swan, Wigeon, Gadwall, Teal, Mallard, Shoveler, Tufted Duck, Goldeneye, Moorhen, Coot and Lapwing.

Having finished counting from Shoveler Hide, I moved onto Buzzard Hide but there was very little extra there and I continued onto Smew Hide to begin counting on Lagoon Two.  There was a single Shelduck close to the hide, a female Goosander towards Lapwing Hide and a Little Egret with and numbers of Mute Swan, Gadwall, Teal, Mallard, Shoveler, Pochard, Tufted Duck and Coot.

I then made a quick visit to Sandpiper Hide to complete the count of Lagoon Four but there was little to add and so I made my way to the Bird Watching centre from where I could complete the Lagoon Two count.

Having completed Terry’s three lagoons, I called Lloyd and agreed to count Lagoon One.  There was just one Pintail on the lagoon whereas at the beginning of the moth there had been over fifty and numbers generally have reduced during the recent rise in water levels and cold spell.  There were five Goosanders on the lagoon along with a single Little Egret and my only Great White Egret of the morning.  Other birds included Mute Swan; a single Canada Goose, Wigeon; Gadwall; Mallard; Shoveler; Pochard; Tufted Duck; Moorhen; Coot and Lapwing.  As I was about to count the Lapwings many more arrived and as I scanned through them I found four Dunlin, which had presumably arrived with the Lapwings and six Shelduck and additional Wigeon were now on the long island.

After submitting my count figures and a general chat with the other counters I made my way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment