Wednesday 29 June 2016

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland & Lincolnshire - June 28, 2016

I called at Eyebrook Reservoir first this morning seeing the Little Owl as I approached the reservoir.  A brief stop at the bridge resulted in just hearing a singing Blackcap and other than Lapwings there were no other waders visible on the small area of mud.  There was a Buzzard feeding on the ground in a field on the Leicestershire side and two Red Kites were observed over Stoke Dry Wood.  I counted sixteen Common Terns around the reservoir and there was a Sedge Warbler seen in display flight close to the water.

As the water levels are so high at Rutland Water I decided that I would have a change today and go a little further afield to Frampton Marsh in Lincolnshire.  As I left the reservoir I had another Red Kite over the barns in Stoke Dry but had seen little else by the time I reached Frampton village.

As I approached the reserve another car had stopped in front and I assumed they were birders looking for Turtle Dove.  As I got closer they drove off and as I followed I saw nothing with a quick glance but as I moved a little further I thought I saw a dove and therefore reversed back.  Initially I couldn’t see anything until a bird moved and on looking through the bins I was able to confirm that it was a Turtle Dove and I was off to a good start.

The other birders were in the car park when I arrived but hadn’t seen the Turtle Dove but were hoping to catch up with one later.  After getting the gear out I set off to Reedbed Hide hoping that a Curlew Sandpiper present over the last few days would still be present.  As I walked down the path alongside the first lagoon I could see a group of waders roosting alongside one of the islands.  There were plenty of Knot and Bar-tailed Godwits and so I scoped them hoping to find the sandpiper.  However as the Knot were tightly packed it wasn’t easy trying to find a single winter Curlew Sandpiper.  I did find eight Dunlin but after about twenty minutes gave up and continued onto Reedbed Hide seeing three Sedge Warblers before I reached the hide.


From the hide it was possible to get a different view of the roosting birds but again the tightly packed Knot were causing some frustration.  The Dunlin did eventually start feeding but most of the Knot were either roosting or preening making it still difficult to know whether the Curlew Sandpiper was still here or not.  There were plenty of Avocets on the lagoon and a single male summer Ruff was observed feeding alongside a couple of Redshanks.  A first-summer Little Gull then dropped in and not long afterwards twelve Redshanks arrived but after preening flew off.  With still no sign of the Curlew Sandpiper I decided to go towards the reservoir to view the wet meadow area and comeback later for another view of the Knot later.

As I walked back along the path one of the Sedge Warbler was singing from a bush and I managed to get a few shots off before continuing.


Sedge Warbler

As I walked back along the path one of the Sedge Warbler was singing from a bush and I managed to get a few shots off before continuing.

I stopped and viewed the roosting Knot from the path before continuing on to the footpath leading to the reservoir.  As I approached the path to the reservoir three juvenile Reed Warblers flew over the road and landed briefly in the roadside vegetation before continuing further.  On reaching the bench overlooking the wet meadow I sat down and set the scope up to view the area.  There were a couple of adult Avocets and three immature birds and I eventually found a Greenshank but there was no sign of yesterdays Wood Sandpiper.  A Green Sandpiper then flew in and dropped down briefly before flying again and disappearing and the Greenshank was disturbed by some cows and came a lot closer.  Six Curlew then flew over and after making a few more scans I was collapsing the tripod when four more Greenshanks arrived.  I checked to see that the original Greenshank was still present and found it roosting in some shallow water confirming that there were now five present.

I made my way back and went again to check the flock of Knot, which were now packed less densely but there was still no sign of the Curlew Sandpiper.

As it was now lunchtime I went back to the car and drove to the old car park near the sea wall and after a bite to eat went onto the sea wall to view the reserve.  I found eleven more Dunlin but other than a couple of Wigeon, a few Little Egrets and more Avocets and Redshanks there was little else on the land side.  The salt marsh was also quiet although I did see a male Marsh Harrier as it quartered the marsh some distance away.

I returned to the main car park and went to the 360 Hide hoping to find a Mediterranean Gull.  As I passed the area where the Knot were gathered there were clearly more godwits and there were now seventy Icelandic summer plumaged Black-tailed Godwits amongst the Knot and Bar-tailed Godwits.  There were plenty of Black-headed Gulls from the hide and I also found two Shoveler and five more Dunlin.  I moved many position to view the area to the south where there were more gulls, where I found two adult Mediterranean Gulls.


Adult Mediterranean Gulls

Another check from the Reedbed Hide for the Curlew Sandpiper still produced the sandpiper and as the weather was beginning to take a turn for the worse I called a dat and set off home.  As I moved back west I went through some fairly heavy rain but did see a Red Kite just after passing through Tallington.

No comments:

Post a Comment