Sunday 20 March 2016

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - February 23, 2016

I went to Wanlip Meadows this morning for my third attempt to find a Long-billed Dowitcher that had been found during my trip to Costa Rica.  I arrived just before 07:30 and found two other birders searching and there was a Shelduck and two Oystercatchers on the scrape, along with a few Teal, Lapwings and Black-headed Gulls but there was no sign of the dowitcher.  Richard Bayldon and Malcolm arrived shortly afterwards but just after 08:00 there was just Malcolm and I remaining, when a Sparrowhawk flew over.  We eventually decided to go to the wind turbine to the other area the bird had occasionally visited.

We drove the short distance towards Cossington Meadows and then walked back towards Wanlip to view and area visible to the east of the turbine.  However although there were still quite a few areas of suitable feeding the area was almost bird less and so we returned to the first site.  There were several other birders leaving as we arrived but there was still no sign of the dowitcher and after a brief stay I decided to head off for Rutland Water.

There had been reports of Corn Buntings at Great Casterton, which had been a regular site in the past but there were no records last year.  I decided I would go and take a look but unfortunately the area had been ploughed and other than a few Skylarks I couldn’t locate any other birds.  I drove a little further down the road and did locate several Yellowhammers and a Reed Bunting and also c.200 Golden Plover but there was no sign of any Corn Buntings.

I made my way back to the North Arm at Rutland Water where I met Bob who had seen all of the wintering grebes and after a brief chat I continued on to the end to look for them.  I soon located the Slavonian Grebe and the three Black-necked Grebes but whilst looking for the Red-necked Grebe Steve called to say there was a Marsh Harrier and two Buzzards circling over the lagoons.  I scanned the area but couldn’t see any birds and eventually returned to searching for the Red-necked Grebe, which I soon located.  The two Barnacle Geese were observed towards Dickinson’s Bay and there were three Oystercatchers and a Redshank in the fishponds area.  I joined Bob and we scanned Burley Wood seeing a Red Kite, three Sparrowhawks and several Buzzards and just as I was leaving Bob found a drake Goosander.

I had my lunch in the Egleton car park where it was a little warmer out of the cool northerly wind.  I was talking to Mike when Steve and Terry arrived and after some discussion about my trip to Costa Rica I went with Steve and Terry to the Bird Watching Centre to view Lagoon One.  The water was still very high on the lagoon but there were five Dunlin on the long island, eight Curlew on the meadows and a Buzzard circling over the lagoon.

Feeling we had seen what was on the lagoon we moved off to Sandpiper Hide on Lagoon Four.  Stuart was in the hide and had been watching a Peregrine devour its prey but it had flown off just before we arrived.  A scan of the lagoon produced six Shelduck and seven Pintail and we eventually found one of the two Ringed Plovers that had been reported earlier, which was a year tick.


Steve and Terry moved off to Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three and shortly afterwards I went to Plover Hide hoping that there would be some Smew close enough to few.  When I arrived I soon found the male and eventually had five red-heads, one of which did come close enough to photograph.  I called Steve to make him aware of the Smew and he, Terry and Stuart joined me as they had seen very little from Shoveler Hide.  The male Smew eventually came a lot closer and was eventually closer enough to get some nice shots in good light.  Terry moved off to Bittern Hide and Stuart called it a day, leaving Steve and I in the hide but I left shortly afterwards and headed for Bittern Hide.


Red-headed Smew


Red-headed Smew


Red-headed Smew


Drake Smew


Drake Smew


Drake Smew


Little Egret on Lagoon Four

When I arrived in Bittern Hide Terry was still there and I was surprised to see that there was now quite a large expanse of water in front of the hide after the recent rise in the water levels.  We heard at least two Water Rails calling and a Cetti’s Warbler also called twice, which were both patch ticks.  Terry moved on to Shoveler whilst I remained for a while.


When I arrived in Shoveler Hide Steve and Terry were both present and Steve informed me that Terry had seen an unusual bird but that he wasn’t sure what it was and it had gone out of sight but was almost certainly still present.  He had described it to Steve, greyish bird with a long bill and greenish legs and Steve suspected that it might be a dowitcher.  Terry went to Buzzard hide to see if he could see it from there and shortly afterwards Steve said it’s on the top of the island and that it was definitely a dowitcher.  Erik, who had arrived a few minutes earlier, and I soon got on the bird as it began feeding on the front edge of the island but was partially obscured by vegetation.  As we were trying get to grips with the bird the Lapwings took off and the dowitcher went with them.  They circled several times before heading off towards Lagoon Four.


Long-billed Dowitcher


Long-billed Dowitcher

We all moved off towards Lagoon Four and Erik, who was on his bike, came out of Sandpiper Hide saying it was on the end of Island Seven and so we continued on to Dunlin Hide.  However on opening the flaps there was no sign of it and so Terry and I went back to Sandpiper Hide with Tim, who had also arrived with several of the site team.  We now had a better view of the island and it wasn’t there and had obviously flown off again.  I called Steve to make him aware and he said that Tim Mac and Lloyd were heading for the North Arm to see if was there and Terry had already gone back to Shoveler Hide to see if it had gone back there.  As Tim and I were leaving the hide Steve called to say it was back on Lagoon Three.

As I reached the hide Terry indicated he had seen it drop in on the closer island but had gone down on the far side and was out of sight and that he was going to Buzzard to see if it was visible from there.  As more observers gathered in Shoveler Hide I also went to Buzzard Hide but the views were pretty restricted and I returned to Shoveler Hide.  I scanned the island several times through the scope with no joy and sat down and began scanning with the bins.  After a short time I noticed a bird appearing at the left hand of the island and as I stood up to use the scope as Steve announced that it was at the left hand end of the island.  It then walked along the front edge feeding for a while, giving reasonable views in the fading light and sufficient to confirm that it was a Long-billed Dowitcher.  The Lapwings then took to flight again and the dowitcher went with them.  Lloyd noticed two Sparrowhawks and a Peregrine nearby, which was obviously reason for the panic.  The dowitcher eventually became separated from the Lapwings and then joined a group of Snipe that climbed higher and disappeared behind the hide.


Long-billed Dowitcher

Tim gave me a lift back to the centre and I went to view Lagoon One hoping for a Barn Owl and was rewarded with two quartering near Harrier Hide.

The day had started off without too much reward but had ended on a real high, with the dowitcher the icing on the cake and probably the bird from Wanlip.  I had moved my patch list total on to ninety-eight and a score of 116, with the dowitcher being a four pointer.

No comments:

Post a Comment