Wednesday 30 March 2016

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - March 29, 2016

I left home this morning heading for the Egleton Reserve at Rutland Water in bright but cool conditions in a fresh south-westerly wind.  I had a Buzzard and a Kestrel not too far from home on my journey to Rutland Water and on arrival a Kingfisher flew across the road at Manton Bridge and into my patch.  The Kingfisher took my total number of species on patch to 110 with a point’s score of 132.

After parking and getting kitted out I walked along the service road to Dunlin Hide on Lagoon Four, seeing a Jay in the last meadow before I reached the hide.  I scanned the water and islands and found the female Peregrine and a Sparrowhawk on two of the islands and there were at least six Ringed Plovers on two islands.  A single Little Egret was feeding quite close to the Sparrowhawk and five Shelduck were feeding on the lagoon.


I moved onto Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three to look for the Long-billed Dowitcher but couldn’t find it.  There was eleven Shelduck, a pair of Pintail and two Oystercatchers on the lagoon but the number of Pochard had dropped to just twelve.  It clouded over and I thought I would go to Lapwing Hide to view the south arm but by the time I got there the sun was shining brightly and it it’s not an ideal viewing point in the mornings when the sun is shining, although there was at least 150 Sand Martins feeding over the water, which is a significant increase since the weekend.


Gadwall


Shoveler alighting on the water


Pair of Shoveler


Stock Dove

I walked back to Shoveler Hide but after a brief and unsuccessful attempt for the dowitcher made my way back to the centre.  There were two Oystercatchers in the large meadow as I walked back but there was little song in the blustery and cool conditions, with just three Chiffchaffs being heard.


Song Thrush near the centre

I checked the feeders at the centre where there was the usual collection of species but perhaps more surprisingly what I think was a Harvest Mouse feeding under the close feeders.


Dunnock


Great Tit


Male Reed Bunting


Male Greenfinch


Goldfinch


Presumed Harvest Mouse


Presumed Harvest Mouse

I continued on to Snipe Hide on the Wet Meadow and found a pair of Shelduck and two pairs of Pintail on the flash.  There was a second pair of Shelduck on the flash in front of harrier hide and four Curlew were feeding in the meadow.  Scanning the area I picked up several Buzzards towards Burley House and a single Kestrel beyond Brown’s Island and I also saw a Chiffchaff as I left the hide.

I moved on to the 360° Hide but there were far fewer birds on Lagoon Five than Saturday and there was no sign of either the Red-crested Pochard or Green Sandpiper, although Steve did find the Green Sandpiper later in the day.  The raft of weed the sandpiper had been feeding on Saturday was now on the bank having been driven there by the weekend storm.  There were four Oystercatcher on the lagoon but very little else and so I moved on to view Lagoon Seven.

As there is no hide or public access to this lagoon it is rather difficult to observe and all I could see were six Shelduck and a single Pochard.

From Lagoon Seven I made way past Lagoon Eight, where there was a pair of Shelduck and an Oystercatcher, before heading towards Heron Hide but I was able to scope the Manton Bay Ospreys on the nest without going the whole way to the hide.  I then retraced my steps before going to Pintail Hide on Lagoon Six where there were another two Shelduck, two more Oystercatchers and two Redshanks.


Canada Goose on Lagoon Six bund

I continued onto Fieldfare Hide where I could see the flock of Sand Martin in better light but there now appeared to fewer birds and there were no other hirundines amongst the flock.  As I made my way back I called at Harrier Hide but saw nothing new before heading back to the car park for lunch.


Oystercatcher from Harrier Hide

Malcolm had called me earlier and told me that he had seen both the Red-necked and Slavonian Grebes along with a Great Northern Diver in the North Arm and was going to Lagoon Three to look for the dowitcher and so I gave him a call when I had finished my lunch.

He hadn’t seen the dowitcher and I waited for him to return as we agreed that we would go back to the North Arm to look for the birds he had seen earlier and then move on to Whitwell where Steve and Terry had seen both Swallow and House Martin earlier.

When we arrived at the fisherman's car park it felt like a beautiful spring day as we were sheltered from the wind and the sun felt quite warm.  Malcolm soon found the Red-necked Grebe and shortly afterwards he located the Slavonian Grebe but there was no sign of the diver.  As we drove along the Hambleton Road heading for the Stamford Road an Osprey flew low over the road towards Lagoon Four.

When we arrived at Whitwell there are lots of folk with children and there was no sign of any hirundines and presumably they had moved on in the improving conditions.

We checked out the north arm from the end of the unnamed road where we were hoping there might be some hirundines but we only saw a couple of Sand Martin although we did have several Buzzards, two Red Kites and a pair of Raven.

Once back at Egleton we went to the Bird watching Centre to check out Lagoon One but it was very quiet with just more Shelduck, Pochard and a Little Grebe.  We checked the feeders again but pretty much the same as earlier was present.


Chaffinch


Goldfinch

I said I was going back to the northern lagoons but Malcolm decided he would head back to Eyebrook Reservoir.  As I was approaching Shoveler Hide, Steve and Terry were walking back along the trail from Lapwing Hide and informed me that the Long-billed Dowitcher was visible from Buzzard Hide.

There were two other birders viewing the bird as I entered the hide and I soon located it on the nearest island where it was roosting with its bill tucked in and if I hadn’t seen it before I would have been wondering what it was, not very exciting.

As the sun would not now be a problem in viewing South Arm Three from Lapwing Hide I headed off in that direction but called Malcolm to give him an update.  He was now at Eyebrook Reservoir and said there were quite a few hirundines present, including both Swallow and House Martin.

I continued onto Lapwing Hide but didn’t see very much and made a brief call to Sandpiper Hide where I added Dunlin to the day list before going back to the car park and heading off for Eyebrook Reservoir.

When I arrived at Eyebrook Reservoir I could see several hirundines flying low over the water near the Leicestershire bank and so I drove around to the fence.  As I scanned the hirundines I was surprised to find that most were Swallows and I counted fourteen along with five Sand Martins and a single House Martin, which was my first of the year and a good end to the day.

As I set off from Eyebrook Reservoir it started to rain, which became quite heavy at times as I drove home and I saw nothing of note.

No comments:

Post a Comment