Sunday 1 November 2015

An afternoon at Eyebrook Reservoir, Leicestershire & Rutland - October 23, 2015

A moulting adult American Golden Plover was found yesterday at Eyebrook Reservoir and was reported again this morning.  I had called on my way home from Norfolk but it had unfortunately flow off and I continued on home.  I hadn’t been at home too long when there was news that it had been located in a field at the Stockerston cross roads.  However as I was thinking of going over again I received another message that it had returned to Eyebrook Reservoir and so I decided to give it another go.


It was still present when I arrived with circa ninety Golden Plover but surprisingly it wasn’t always easy to pick out amongst the Golden Plover and Lapwing.  It was showing quite a bit of its summer plumage, whilst the other Golden Plover were all in winter plumage, which should have made it easy but it seemed to get easily lost in the flock.  It was seen in flight on several occasions and was quite easy to pick out in the flock, appearing darker and showing a dusky under-wing.  Six Goldeneye, and two Dunlin were the only other birds of note.

No comments:

Post a Comment