Wednesday 4 November 2015

A day at Rutland Water, Rutland - November 3, 2015

It was quite misty when I left home this morning and remained so all day, which impacted on the visibility throughout the day.  I initially headed for the Lyndon Reserve at Rutland Water, seeing a Little Egret on the River Sence at Wistow on route.  When I arrived I checked the feeders out but there was very little just a procession of Blue and Great Tits and so I set off down the track to Shallow Water Hide.  I had just started to walk alongside the first field when I noticed a Green Woodpecker on the second power cable pole, which then flew off over the field before I flushed a second off the field as I continued along the path.  As I approached Deep Water Hide, which is currently under reconstruction, I saw a few Fieldfares and as approached closer they continued to come out of the hedge and fly up the field and there was at least seventy.  As I was observing the Fieldfare I saw my only Tree Sparrow of the day when it flew into the top of one of the trees and two Song Thrushes were my first for several weeks.  Other than a few Bullfinches I saw nothing else of note before reaching the hide.

As I opened the flaps on the hide I was surprised to find that the water level had risen considerably and presumably the sluice gate had been raised as the reservoir level was still lower.  There were seven Snipe and a Black-tailed Godwit to the left of the hide and two Redshanks to the right but the area is now much less suitable for waders.  There were also fewer birds on the water, particularly Pintail of which I only saw four.

As I set off back towards the centre I saw a couple of Redwing and then had another eight fly over near Wader Scrape Hide.  When I reached the centre I rechecked the feeders but again it was mainly attracting Blue and Great Tits, although I did see a Coal Tit and a single Chaffinch.  A small party of Tufted Ducks just in front of the centre contained a rather drab looking male Red-crested Pochard.

As I headed up the track towards the road Steve and Terry were driving down and they had already done the North Arm, Barnsdale, the Dam and Normanton and based on their sighting I decided to head to Barnsdale.

They had seen Marsh Tit, Chiffchaff, Blackcap and Lesser Redpoll near the bottom of the road and the Black-necked Grebes in the North Arm.  After parking I stopped to overlook the area of scrub and found the male Blackcap and a Lesser Redpoll but there was no sign of either the Marsh Tit or Chiffchaff.  I counted seven Pintail in Dickinson’s Bay but there was nothing else of note.  I moved to view the North Arm hoping to find the Black-necked Grebes but the mist made quite difficult and there was no sign of them or of the Red-necked and Slavonian Grebes present on Saturday.

I eventually went to the end of the cottage lane to view the North Arm.  As I walked down the spit I flushed a couple of Shelduck off the near shore and counted thirty-nine Pintail just to the right of the spit.  I scanned the area for a while seeing only the seventeen Barnacle Geese and the escaped Fulvous Whistling Duck on the north shore and as I was beginning to feel quite cold and decided to return to the car for some lunch.  Whilst I was having my lunch Steve and Terry arrived and after we had finished lunch we walked back down the spit, this time armed with a pair of gloves.  After viewing the Fulvous Whistling Duck Steve then found a Yellow-legged Gull and Pink-footed Goose on the north shore and after walking to the end he then found the two Black-necked Grebes.  The grebes were not too distant and it wasn’t surprising I hadn’t seen them from Barnsdale but perhaps should have seen them on my first visit to the spit.  After seeing a Nuthatch and a fly over Lesser Redpoll near the cottage we went to the Egleton Reserve.

With little else Terry and Steve went to Shoveler Hide and I continued on to Lapwing Hide to see if I could see either of the Great White Egrets that had been reported from Fieldfare Hide earlier today.  However there was no sign but there were ten Little Egrets in the corner of South Arm Three and another four along the southern shore line.  There were three more Pintail on Lagoon Two as well as another three Little Egrets bringing the total for the day to twenty-three.  I then joined Steve and Terry in Shoveler Hide but other than three Pintail, a flyover Sparrowhawk and a Redshank there was little else.  Terry finally called it a day and a short while afterwards with the Starlings not wanting to perform tonight I also called it a day, seeing a Treecreeper on route back to the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment