Sunday 1 November 2015

A week’s family holiday in West Norfolk - October 16 to 23, 2015

I left home late morning on the 16th with my wife and youngest granddaughter and headed for our accommodation for the week in Brancaster.  My daughter and oldest granddaughter were to join us later in the day with Paul following on the 17th due to work commitments.

After unpacking the car and making sure everything was ok I made my first visit to Titchwell.  There had been a Great Grey Shrike seen from the Autumn Trail during the morning and so I set off towards Patsy’s Reedbed, seeing a Brambling on the feeders as I set off.  There were thirteen Red-crested Pochard, two Ruff and forty Black-tailed Godwits on the pool but there was no sign of the shrike.  Having no luck with the shrike I moved back to the West Bank and headed out towards the sea.  As always there was a good variety of waders on the Freshwater Marsh with Avocet, Golden Plover, Knot, Dunlin, Ruff and Black-tailed Godwit all being seen along with a couple of Pintail.  There were more Dunlin and Black-tailed Godwits on the Volunteer Marsh along with a couple of Ringed Plovers and a Grey Plover.  After seeing more Black-tailed Godwits on the Tidal Marsh I reached the beach and added Oystercatcher, Sanderling and Bar-tailed Godwit to my list of waders.  The sea was very disappointing with just a few Cormorants observed.  As I walked back I viewed the reedbed from close to Island Hide and saw at least five Marsh Harriers come in to roost.

The following morning I was back at Titchwell by 07:00 and did a couple of hours birding before returning to the house for breakfast.  As I walked out I heard several Cetti’s Warblers and saw six Marsh Harriers leaving the roost.  All the waders seen on the Freshwater Marsh yesterday were present today but there was also a nice party of in excess of 150 Bar-tailed Godwits and a single Grey Plover.  On reaching the Volunteer Marsh there were five waders feeding in the channel that runs parallel to the path and I quickly identified at least some of them to be Spotted Redshanks but they flew further along the channel before alighting again.  As I approached them gain they flew again and went back to where I had seen them initially.  The light was still pretty poor but I was fairly confident that one of the five was a Greenshank and so I walked back and was able to confirm my suspicions that there were four Spotted Redshanks and a Greenshank.  There were only Oystercatchers and Sanderling on the beach as the preferred feeding area had been covered by the incoming tide.  The sea again proved disappointing with just three Gannets worthy of note, although there was quite a swell and any distant birds would have been difficult to locate but there was clearly no concentrations of birds.  As I approached the wooded area at the landward end of the West Bank circa thirty Siskin were observed above the tree tops before alighting back into the trees.  I finally made a quick visit to Patsy’s Reedbed where there were fifteen Red-crested Pochard, a Snipe and five Black-tailed Godwits.

Whilst having breakfast my wife said her and my daughter were going shopping and I was given the option to go birding.  With news from Wells of several of yesterday’s good birds still being present I decided that it would be the best option.  Arriving mid-morning I did wonder if I would be able to park as I knew that some of the parking area was unavailable for maintenance and as I pulled into the car park my fears were founded, although I was lucky and managed to get what appeared to be the last space.  After paying for the day, as I suspected the birds wouldn’t be too easy, I set off down the path hoping that there would be some indication as to where the birds were.  I needn't have worried as there were congregations of birders around both the Red-flanked Bluetail and the Hume’s Warbler.  Having seen a bluetail on Thursday I continued on hoping to see the Hume’s.  It was feeding mainly in an area to the south of the path and was calling quite frequently giving some indication as to its location.  However as I suspected it wasn’t easy to get good views and I must have seen it about ten times, without being able to get a decent view as it was constantly on the move.  I did eventually mange to get good, if brief, views of it as it moved through the bushes and it was very frustrating.  A bonus whilst searching for the Hume’s was a brief view of a Firecrest.

I had heard that the Red-flanked Bluetail was showing well and I thought I would get that on my way back to the car for lunch.  However on reaching the area the bird wasn’t visible and although I saw it quite well eventually it was very mobile and often disappeared.  I eventually made it back to the car and after some lunch set off back down the track hoping for views of a Pallas’s Warbler as two were being reported further along the track towards Lady Anne’s Drive.  I stopped to view an apparent Yellow-browed Warbler, which duly obliged before another birder cried Pallas’s top of the bush.  I just got onto it as it flew across the path and although it was seen by others on a couple of occasions I and most others failed to connect.  News then percolated that there were two further along the track and on walking further we saw a group that appeared to be watching something.  When we reached them it transpired that they had been watching two Pallas’s but they had gone further into the wood.  I and others joined a group just inside the wood who were looking for them and one birder in particular picked one up but it took quite some time despite his continued efforts to get people on to the bird.  It was feeding at the top of a birch and wasn’t in view most of the time but I eventually had nice views as it appeared face on and looking down, when the crown stripe was clearly visible and it then flew out hovered briefly revealing its pale lemon rump before disappearing back into the birch.

It had been a very successful day’s birding with some quality birds seen and the number of Goldcrest was quite staggering as they appeared to be everywhere and I suspect that there must be several thousand in the woods.

I was back at Titchwell early Sunday morning and I made a second visit during the afternoon.  I visited Patsy’s Reedbed area in the afternoon and walked along the West Bank during both visits.  The sea was again disappointing although I did see a single female Eider and twelve Common Scoter as well as ten Gannets and a single Kittiwake.  The shore and the lagoons produced the usual variety of waders with Oystercatcher, Avocet, Ringed Plover, Golden Plover, Grey Plover, Lapwing, Knot, Sanderling, Dunlin, Ruff, Snipe, Black-tailed Godwit, Bar-tailed Godwit, Curlew, Spotted Redshank, Greenshank, Redshank and Turnstone all being seen.  There were fourteen Red-crested Pochard on Patsy’s Pool and ten Pintail were on the Freshwater Marsh and a Water Rail was observed from Island Hide.  During the late afternoon at least seven Marsh Harriers came into the roost and also a ring-tailed Hen Harrier.  A Marsh Tit seen briefly on the feeders was perhaps also worthy of note as it was only my second record at this site.


The weather on the Monday was a little better with plenty of sunshine and again I made an early morning and late afternoon visits to Titchwell but this time only walked the West Bank.  There were at least nine Marsh Harriers in the roost during the evening and I saw the Hen Harrier leave early morning and then return in the evening when there was also a second ring-tail.  I also heard a Fieldfare, which was my first of the autumn but didn’t manage to locate it.  Two of the Spotted Redshanks were still on the Volunteer Marsh but there was no sign of the Greenshank, a Kingfisher was seen at Thornham Pool and a Sparrowhawk briefly over the reedbed.


Brent Goose over Thornham Marsh


Little Egret on Volunteer Marsh


Wigeon on the Freshwater Marsh


Teal on the Tidal Marsh


Oystercatchers on the beach


Golden Plover on the Freshwater Marsh


Ringed PLover on the Volunteer Marsh


Black-tailed Godwit on the Tidal Marsh


Black-tailed Godwit on the Volunteer Marsh


Curlew over the beach


Curlew over the beach


Curlew on the Volunteer Marsh


Spotted Redshank and Black-tailed Godwit on the Volunteer Marsh


Spotted Redshank on the Volunteer Marsh


Spotted Redshank on the Volunteer Marsh


Spotted Redshank on the Volunteer Marsh


Redshank on the Volunteer Marsh



Turnstone on the beach


Herring Gull on the Tidal Marsh


Herring Gull over the sea

The sea was again disappointing with just the female Eider and nine Gannet being seen.

I was back at Titchwell early on Tuesday morning and then again during the afternoon.  The waders were pretty much the same as on the previous few days and the sea failed to produce anything new during the morning visit.  My oldest granddaughter came back with me in the afternoon as I had suggested that it might be a good afternoon to see a Barn Owl.  We called at the centre to ask if any Barn Owls were being seen and were told that the best place was the grazing meadows between the West Bank and Thornham.  Whilst in the centre the staff showed us a dead Short-eared Owl, which someone had brought in and a young Hedgehog that they were caring for.  It was sad to see the owl as it had probably only arrived in the UK in the last few days and had possibly succumbed after it journey across the North Sea.  Although its eyes had lost their sparkle the plumage was in excellent conditions and it was amazing to feel how soft the feathering was.

As we walked out along the West Bank I saw a Barn Owl briefly towards Thornham and Clia also managed to get a brief few.  Whilst we were standing near Island Hide hoping for further views, Chris and Erik arrived.  They had come over for the day and they were finishing off at Titchwell before heading off back to Oakham.  They helped in trying to locate the Barn Owl but eventually moved off to the sea and Clia and I followed shortly afterwards as there were still no further sign of the Barn Owl.  When we reached the sea Chris and Erik had seen several Red-throated Divers and a few Common Scoters.  The sea was much calmer today making it much easier to pick up birds on the surface and as I scanned a group of Common Scoter I found a Red-breasted Merganser amongst the flock.  Chris then re-found one of the Red-throated Divers and shortly afterwards picked up a Slavonian Grebe.  With little else visible we returned along the West Bank and stopped near Island Hide to view the reedbed and Thornham Marsh.  As we were scanning Chris spotted a Barn Owl just beyond the East Wall and over the next few minutes we picked it up several times and Clia managed to see it through the scope.  It suddenly began flying over the reedbed and eventually finished over the field to the west of the West Bank before returning to its original locations.  We were also watching the harriers coming in as Chris and Erik were hoping for the Hen Harrier but I eventually, after seeing at least ten Marsh Harriers, left them to it as Clia was beginning to feel the cold.  Clia had initially been a little reluctant to come with me but after seeing the Barn Owl so well she was well pleased with her visit.

Wednesday morning was rather wet after some heavy overnight rain that continued until about lunchtime.  As the rain ceased I decided to go to Choseley drying barns as there had been a Black Redstart yesterday.  When I arrived there were several other birders looking for the Black Redstart but it hadn't been seen and after a good look around the barns with still no sighting I assumed it had gone and decided to end the day at Titchwell after seeing four Grey Partridges in one of the fields.

There was news of quite a bit on the sea and so I made my way out to the beach without stopping too much.  When I arrived there appeared to be very little but I did find a Razorbill and there was a large flock of Common Scoter in flight at the far end of the wind farm.  As I made my way back along the bank I there were fourteen Red-crested Pochard on the Freshwater Marsh and there was also a Spoonbill, which was new for the week.  Another birder then informed me that there were three Grey Partridge on the stones on the Volunteer Marsh side of the path to Parrinder Hide.  I walked back a few yards and found the three birds on the wall and although I have seen them here a few times previously it was rather a surprise.  As I was scoping the birds I noticed a pipit, also on the wall, which was a Rock Pipit.  I only saw five Marsh Harriers come into roost this evening but the Barn Owl was seen again just beyond the east bank.

I was back at Titchwell for my regular early morning visit and walked out along the West Bank to the sea, which was again disappointing with just circa fifty Common Scoters, six Goldeneye and a single Gannet being seen.  There was the usual concentration of waders feeding along the shoreline with two Knot being the best.  There was a couple of Pintail on the Tidal Marsh as I walked back there was a Spotted Redshank and a Greenshank on Volunteer Marsh.  As I approached the Freshwater Marsh a Peregrine flew over and caused quite some disturbance but after the birds settled back down there appeared to be a large number of Ruff and I counted 105, which was significantly more than I had been seeing all week.  Two Stonechats were observed in the reedbed as I returned to the car park and the Peregrine flew over again.

It was my youngest granddaughter’s birthday today the 22nd and the plan was for Paul and I to take them both on a trip from Morston to see the seals on Blakeney Point.  We had taken Clia on the trip just three years ago and had seen hundreds of Grey Seals and an odd Common Seal on the point but today there was just a single Grey and four Common Seals.  A second Grey Seal did haul itself out onto the sand and we did see several others in the water but the main bulk of the Greys had not yet arrived.  We were also given the opportunity to land on the point, which we took and it was my first time for over twenty years.  There was a plaque on the side of one of the buildings showing the level of the water during the surge of 2013, which was over five feet, indicating that the whole point must have been under water during the event.

After getting back to the cottage and with news of the Black Redstart back at Choseley Barns I gave it another shot.  There were a few birders present when I had arrived and most had seen the bird and it wasn’t too long before I got reasonable views as it fed on the roof on the most eastern barn.

With still a good hour and half of light left I went onto Titchwell and found that a Water Pipit had been reported on Thornham Pool and so that it where I went first, after seeing a Brambling on the feeders.  I did find a Rock Pipit but there was no sign of the Water Pipit and another birder who saw the bird was casting doubt onto its identity.  Whilst looking for the pipit I had brief views of the Kingfisher as it flew away down the channel.  A Hen Harrier along with nine Marsh Harriers came into roost and the Hen Harrier flew around for several minutes before it finally dropped into the reeds.  I also had a brief view of the Barn Owl and a Sparrowhawk flew over Thornham Pool.

Friday was our final day and we needed to be out of the cottage by mid-morning but I was able to make one final visit to Titchwell.  As I started to walk along the West Bank I caught sight of what I thought was a Short-eared Owl quartering over the area but I lost it behind the trees.  I moved along to view the area further down the path but initially there was no sign but it did reappear and I had some nice views as it quartered over Thornham Marsh.  As I walked alongside the Freshwater Marsh many of the gulls were leaving and on hearing some Curlew I raised my bins to see several departing and also caught sight of a Spoonbill as it flew off to the east.  The rest of the visit, which was a little shorter than normal produced only what I had been seeing regularly all week but there was no sign of a Spotted Redshank or Greenshank this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment