Tuesday 17 November 2015

A morning at Rutland Water, Rutland - November 15, 2015

I went to Rutland Water today to help with the monthly WeBS count and is is usual I was assigned South Arm Three.  Whilst we were waiting for the other counters to arrive there were fourteen Barnacle Geese visible in the north arm and thirty-five Egyptian Geese and three Redwings flew over.

As it was so windy today I decided that I would count the arm from Lapwing Hide as it would have been very difficult from the Old Hall.  A singing Chiffchaff as I approached the hide was unexpected but I was unable to locate it as it was keeping low out of the wind.  There were quite a few birds along the shore along the green Bank and as the water was quite choppy that made them quite difficult to identify and count.  However the birds on the southern shoreline were at lot easier being sheltered to some degree from the wind.  There was nothing really special, with four adult Shelduck perhaps being the most unexpected, although they do normally begin to return during November.  Other birds seen were Mute Swan, Egyptian Goose, Wigeon, Gadwall, Teal, Mallard, Shoveler, Pochard, Tufted Duck, Goldeneye, Great Crested Grebe, Moorhen and Coot and there were also five Little Egrets and three Grey Herons.

Having completed my count I joined Terry in Shoveler Hide but lagoon three at present is very disappointing with just a few Cormorants, Gadwall, Teal, Mallard and Shoveler and a single Goldeneye being present.  Lagoon Two was a little better with a good range of wildfowl but nothing unusual.

I left Terry to finish counting Lagoon Two and went to the Bird Watching Centre to hand in my count numbers and view Lagoon One.  There were twenty-two Pintail on lagoon one but like the other lagoons very little else.  As I was leaving Terry arrived saying he had seen a pair of Stonechat after I had left him and so I went to Grebe Hide in the hope of seeing them but drew a blank.  Tim had reported a Great Northern Diver from the dam but as it was my oldest granddaughter’s birthday I was going out for lunch and had to call it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment