Thursday 13 September 2012

A morning out in South Leicestershire - September 7, 2012


The first task was to empty Dave’s moth trap but as there was only eighteen moths of eight species it didn’t take too long.  There was a single micro, a Honeysuckle Moth that was new for his garden.

The following were trapped: Honeysuckle Moth [1]; Brimstone Moth [2]; Large Yellow Underwing [5]; Lesser Yellow Underwing [6]; Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing [1]; Setaceous Hebrew Character [2]; Square-spot Rustic [1] an Flounced Rustic [1].

From Dave’s I went to Saddington Reservoir, which was fairly quiet but I did find four Chiffchaffs and three Willow Warblers and a Treecreeper was another good find.

There was also circa thirty Lapwings flying around for about twenty minutes presumably trying to find a place to land but eventually they just disappeared.

From Saddington I moved the short distance to Gumley where I immediately had a Nuthatch calling and saw another Treecreeper.

I walked through the wooded footpath to the church where there we three Goldfinch feeding in an old Yew and I did eventually see a Nuthatch as it came in a began feeding in an old pine.  A buddleia bush closer to the church had attracted a Peacock and five Red Admiral butterflies.  I saw nothing else of note and completed my morning out by walked a short stretch of the Grand Union Canal close by.  The best was a single Whitethroat, which provided excellent views albeit briefly.

During the morning I also saw five Red Admiral, a Peacock and seven Speckled Wood butterflies and a Migrant Hawker and two Common Darter.


Honeysuckle Moth


Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing


Flounced Rustic

No comments:

Post a Comment