Tuesday 4 September 2012

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - September 3, 2012


I went to Eye Brook Reservoir first today although the water levels are still very high with very little exposed mud.  Consequently there were no waders present other than Lapwing.  There were two Little Egrets and I had five Buzzards soaring right over my head and eventually saw eight and also three Red Kites.
There were a few butterflies and I swa a Small Copper, a Red Admiral and two Peacocks.


One of the Buzards over the Eye Brook perimeter road

From Eye Brook Reservoir I drove the short distance to Rutland Water and the north arm where there had been four Black-necked Grebes yesterday evening but there was no sign today.  There were five Barnacle Geese, six Little Egrets, a Common Sandpiper, a Greenshank and fifteen Common Terns.

On the reserve I went to lagoon four were there was a Little Ringed Plover, two Ringed Plover, two Dunlin, a Ruff, a Snipe, two Spotted Redshank, a Greenshank and a Redshank and another twelve Common Tern.  I Peregrine flew over and a Hobby was observed over Burley Wood.  Lagoon three is now full and other than numerous Gadwall and Tufted Ducks there was little else although I did see two Reed Warblers.


Wigeon over lagoon three


Gadwall over lagoon three


Gadwall over lagoon three


Juvenile Tufted Duck on lagoon four


Migrant Hawker from shoveler hide

From shoveler hide I went to snipe hide on the wet meadow where there was another Snipe and Green Sandpiper.  A walk to wigeon hide overlooking Manton Bay failed to produce Osprey as all three had probably departed today.

No comments:

Post a Comment