Sunday 23 September 2012

A morning in Leicestershire - September 18, 2012


I went to Dean’s Lane in Charnwood first to see if there was any sign of visible migration as a Woodlark had been seen yesterday.  I had not been there long when three Sand Martins went over closely followed by a few Swallows and three Meadow Pipits.  There was a wait of forty minutes passed before there were any further when again a few Swallows passed over.  I finally decided to call it a day after ninety minutes as at best it could be described as slow.

From Dean’s Lane I travelled to Swithland Reservoir and stopped on the road bridge on the southern basin.  There were c.100 House Martin over the water and a Grey Wagtail flew over calling on a couple of occasions but there was little else of note.  Four Buzzards then flew over and a Sparrowhawk was observed harassing a Kestrel juts before I left for the northern half of the reservoir.

There were fewer wildfowl on this side but I did see a further two Buzzard, two Hobby and a Raven.


Juvenile Great Crested Grebe at Swithland Reservoir


Juvenile Hobby at Swithland Reservoir

No comments:

Post a Comment