Sunday 24 June 2012

An early morning at Wigston Magna and a day out in Leicestershire and Rutland - June 20, 2012

Dave had loaned me his moth trap as he will be away for two weeks and as the weather seemed reasonable I put it out last night.  I caught thirty-one moths of nineteen species.

The following were trapped: Willow Beauty 2; Crambus perlella 1; Bee Moth 2; Light Brown Apple Moth 1; Epiblema cynosbatella 1; Common Marbled Carpet 1; Magpie 1; Brimstone Moth 3; Scalloped Hazel 1; Elephant Hawkmoth 2; Buff Ermine 1; Flame 1; Dark Arches 4; Large Nutmeg 1; Rustic-shouldered-knot 1; Marble Minor group sp. 1; Middle-barred Minor 1; Vine’s Rustic 1 and Silver Y 1.
This was a better catch than last night but we still have a long way to go to get to last year’s numbers.


Light Brown Apple Moth


Crambus perlella


Male Bee Moth


Female Bee Moth


Common Marbled Carpet


Brimstone Moth


Willow Beauty


Elephant Hawkmoth


Buff Ermine


The Flame


Large Nutmeg


Dark Arches


Clouded-bordered Brindle


Vine's Rustic

The forecast was so good for today I decided to visit Ketton Quarry in Rutland where I hoped I might see the first Marbled Whites of the year.


I arrived on site and although it was quite warm there were few butterflies in evidence.  There was a rather well worn Peacock and two Small Heaths but nothing else except a very worn Mother Shipton moth.  I move back to the footpath there were two other guys clearly watching something and as I approached they informed me they had some Six-belted Clearwings.  They put two in pots and released a third before one of them put the two in his cool bag with a view of photographing them late

The one guy said he knew of where there were some Bee Orchids on sight so I decided to tag along.  As we walked to the woodland section of the reserve I did have a Green-veined White, Brimstone and a Large Skipper.


As we entered the woodland we met another guy who I recognised from Rutland Water.  After a brief discussion he informed us that he was aware of three Yellow Bird-nest plants and offered to show us.  They were still on tine shoots but should be in full flower by early next week.  As we prepared to take photos we became aware of another two and then one of the guys said he had hit the jackpot as he had found many more just down the track.  Dave from Rutland Water did a count and by the time we exited this part of the wood he counted about seventy, which was clearly a good year.  He took us a little further down the main track and pointed out five Southern Marsh Orchids and two Bee Orchids, although one had gone over the other not yet in full flower.  We continued to the second site and found more Bee Orchids, another twenty spikes.  After taking some photograph we returned to the car park where the two Six-belted Clearwings were released on some vegetation placed on a stone wall.  They both performed well before flying off and was able to get several shots of both.
It had been quite a productive visit with two new species the Six-banded Clearwing and Yellow Bird’s nest.

Six-banded Clearwing


Bee Orchid


Common Spotted Orchid


Southern Marsh Orchid

From Ketton I went to Bloody Oaks Quarry where I found another Bee Orchid on the footpath in the reserve.  There was also a good showing of Rock Rose and Bird’s-foot Trefoil.  I also found a Grizzled Skipper, which was a surprise as I thought I had missed them whilst I was away in Norway.  I also found another Large Skipper and a Cinnabar moth.



Grizzled Skipper

My final port of call was Rutland Water but the sky had clouded over and it wasn’t very productive for insects and it was rather quiet bird wise as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment