Monday 29 October 2018

A fragmented day’s birding in Norfolk - October 15, 2018


I was at Titchwell Marsh early morning at around 07:00 and David arrived just afterwards.  I set off to the west bank and picked up a Western Marsh Harrier to the west of the path and there were five more over the reedbed to the east and a single Little Egret near Patsy’s Pool and a Eurasian Curlew flew over the reedbed.

There had been some light drizzle since leaving the car park, which suddenly became heavier and so I went into Island Hide and was joined by David.  There was a good number of birds on the Freshwater Marsh but the light and rain weren’t making viewing easy, but we did find a single Dunlin and counted eighteen Bar-tailed Godwits roosting on the Freshwater Marsh and at least twenty-five Ruff scattered around.  As the rain eased we decided to head for the beach but before we reached the path to Parrinder Hide it became heavy again and we headed for the hide.

One of the two Pink-footed Geese that have been resident this summer was just to the left of the hide and there was a single Eurasian Oystercatcher and five Pied Avocet quite close.  When the rain eased David decided to head for the beach again, but I stayed put.  I counted forty-five Common Shelduck and found a single Northern Pintail and a Black-tailed Godwit before going to view Volunteer Marsh, where there was a single Eurasian Curlew and a Common Redshank near the hide but nothing else.

When I reached the west bank there was a Little Egret on the far side of Volunteer Marsh.  I considered heading for the beach, but David was coming back having seen very little and we went back towards Island Hide.  There were two Little Egrets on Thornham Marsh, but we saw nothing else of note, although we did hear a Redwing as we got back to the car park.

After breakfast I went with my wife to Holt and we then drove back via Salthouse and Burnham Overy Staithe, although we didn’t get out of the car as the weather was still awful.  There were a few Eurasian Wigeon visible from the beach road at Salthouse and whilst viewing these I found a Common Redshank and saw a Little Egret in flight.  At Burnham Overy Staithe there was a Little Egret and Common Redshank in the channel and a Eurasian Curlew flew over and I also observed four Little Egrets in flight over the marsh before we headed back.

At long last the weather began to improve a little and I finished the afternoon at Titchwell.  I walked down the west bank hearing a Water Rail close to Thornham Pool and there was a Little Grebe on the Reedbed Pool.  When I reached the path to island hide several other birders were watching the Jack Snipe and whilst initially it was quite difficult to see it did eventually give some excellent views and a Water Rail also showed briefly.

As I walked further along the bank I had three Eurasian Curlew, a Black-tailed Godwit and a Common Redshank on Thornham Marsh.  Looking up the channel on the north side of Volunteer Marsh I found a Grey Plover, a Eurasian Curlew, four Black-tailed Godwit, five Dunlin and nine Common Redshank.  A pipit then flew in and dropped out of sight into one of the channels but a few minutes later it appeared and I was able to see it was a Eurasian Rock Pipit.

On reaching the beach there were plenty of waders that included good numbers of Eurasian Oystercatcher and a few Eurasian Curlew and there was also three Grey Plover, two Ruddy Turnstone and a single Sanderling.  The sea was quite rough but there was no sign of any birds, although they would have been difficult to locate in the wind and heavy sea.

As I walked back along the track there were forty Brent Geese feeding on Thornham Marsh and I found two female Northern Pintail on the Freshwater Marsh and counted seven Pied Avocet and twenty-seven Ruff.  As I approached the reedbed there was a Common Kestrel hunting over Thornham Marsh and at least six Western Marsh Harrier were observed over the reedbed and towards Brancaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment