Friday 18 August 2017

A morning at Bradgate Park & Cropston Reservoir, Leicestershire - August 13, 2017

I was out with my wife and grandchildren today and I had persuaded them to go to Bradgate Park for a picnic, which would then also give me the chance to look for the Pectoral Sandpiper.

After parking in Hallgates car park we walked along the path towards the Deer Barn Tea Room and Visitor’s Centre. I heard a Raven but didn’t see it and when I reached the first viewing hole in the wall surrounding the reservoir and went to look for the Pectoral Sandpiper but there was no sign and we continued along the path to view some deer that were resting in an area adjacent to the path and we then walked back to the team room for a coffee.


As we started to walk back to the car I saw a Black-tailed Godwit feeding at the edge of the water and I walked down to the viewing hole to take another look.  The godwit couldn’t be seen from the hole but I then noticed three female-type Mandarin that were quite possibly juveniles but they walked left and disappeared.  I scanned again and noticed a wader feeding on the mud on the far side of the inlet stream.  I got the bird in the scope and could see it was the Pectoral Sandpiper but the light made it very difficult to get too much detail.  It looked very dark on the upperparts and it was difficult picking up any detail and therefore impossible to age, although it had been reported as both a juvenile and an adult.  Pleased with finding the bird I walked back to the car and then went and found a nice spot for the picnic.

No comments:

Post a Comment