Wednesday 9 November 2016

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - November 8, 2016

It took several minutes to get the ice of the car before I set off in bright sunlight for a day’s birding in east Leicestershire & Rutland.  My intention was to visit Great Easton first hoping of seeing a Barn Owl.  I had a Red Kite as I approached Tur Langton and another along Stockerston Lane but little else before reaching Great Easton.

It was still bright and sunny when I arrived at the end of the unnamed road just to the east of the village but was feeling quite cold.  When I viewed the roost tree two Barn Owls were visible but they both dropped out of sight shortly afterwards.  A Little Egret was observed in flight and three Fieldfares flew over.  There is now a locked gate across the old railway line and it only possible to walk a couple of hundred yards and so I moved on to Eyebrook Reservoir.  A lady walking her dog indicated that gate had proved very unpopular with the village residents but she thought that there had been an agreement with the land owner to leave the gate unlocked but as yet this was still to happen.

There were a couple of Fieldfares as I dropped down the hill to the reservoir and another five at least around the old feeding station.  I didn’t see a great deal as I drove along the road to the northern end with three Bullfinches being the best.  On reaching the turn to the bridge over the inlet stream I continued straight on and after turning around on the Harborough Hill Road headed back to view the old oak and found one of the Little Owls sitting in a favoured spot.  My last sighting here was in July and so it was a welcome sight to see at least one back.


A brief stop at the bridge produced nothing of note but I had another eight Fieldfares as I moved around to view the inlet.  There were plenty of Teal and Black-headed Gulls at the inlet with a few Common Gulls but very few Lapwings and no other waders but a surprise was a female Goosander.  The bright sunlight was making it difficult to view the reservoir to the south and so I moved further along the road to get better light.  There was a good selection of wildfowl including fifteen Pintail and twenty Shoveler and I also saw a single Goldeneye.

Steve had called to say that he and Terry had found quite a bit in the North Arm at Rutland Water, including a Pink-footed Goose and so I left Eyebrook Reservoir and headed for the North Arm.

After parking at the end of the unnamed road I viewed the fishponds and found the female Ruddy Duck, which I hadn't seen for almost a month.  As I continued scanning a Water Rail on the north shore was a surprise and there was also a Green Sandpiper close to the bund between the fishponds and the North Arm.

After walking down through the gate to view the North Arm there were plenty of Greylag Geese and as most were on the water I was fairly optimistic that I would find the Pink-footed Goose but there was no sign.  As I looked further down the north shore there were more geese feeding on the edges of the reservoir but all I found were more Greylags and smaller numbers of Canada Geese with still no sign of the Pink-footed Goose amongst them or with a smaller number of Greylag Geese on the south shore.

A female Common Scoter was then located as it flew into an area to the south of the spit but a few minutes later it was to the north of the spit.  Another birder then joined me and as we were scanning for the Black-necked Grebes I found the Common Scoter again but this time it was swimming rather purposely east towards the draw tower.  I then found a Great White Egret on the edge of Dickinson’s Bay and the other birder found a second on the south shore.  I eventually found one of the Black-necked Grebes after a fishing boat had caused some disturbance near Dickinson’s Bay.  Other than six Pintail to the south of the spit, two Pochard near the north shore and three Little Egrets around the arm there was little else of note.  After standing in the North Arm for over an hour the cold was beginning to get through and so I went to the Bird Watching Centre on the Egleton Reserve to view Lagoon One.

I counted just eighteen Pintail on the lagoon, which is a reduction than of late and there was a pair of Stonechat in front of the centre but with little else and with it too early to take lunch I decided to go to Lyndon to search for the Red-necked Grebe.

On reaching the Lyndon Reserve I headed for Teal Hide to view the south arm but found the feeding station devoid of birds as I walked to the hide.  I spent quite some time in the hide but couldn’t find the Red-necked Grebe and other than a couple of Little Egrets there was little else.  Steve then called to inform of a report of a possible Great Grey Shrike to the north of Oakham and indicated that he and Terry were going to look for it.  He also said that they were in Wader Scrape Hide and that there were a lot of waders in the Manton Bay.

As I walked back to the centre there were now a few birds around the feeder but as I stopped to take a look several flew off and a few seconds later a Sparrowhawk roared in, circled the small bush a couple of times and then flew off to the east.  After it had gone just two Great Tits flew out of the bush and again the feeders fell silent.

Whilst having lunch I decided I would walk to Shallow Water Hide to view the waders in Manton Bay.  I met Steve and Terry near Deep Water Hide and after a brief chat they departed intending to look for the Great Grey Shrike and a commitment to let me know if they saw it.

I saw a few Fieldfare and Redwing as I approached the turn to Wader Scrape Hide but other than three Bullfinches I had seen little else as I entered Shallow water Hide.  I was a little disappointed a warden was cutting in the grass on the south side of the bay and there were few birds on the water.  There were a few Snipe and three Dunlin just to the right of the hide and I could see other waders on the far side.  I set the scope up to view the far shore and counted twenty-three Dunlin, fourteen Snipe, four Green Sandpiper and a Redshank in the bay.  Wildfowl wise there were eleven Pintail and small numbers of Wigeon, Gadwall, Teal, Mallard, Shoveler and Tufted Duck.  I called in Wader Scrape Hide on the way back but found nothing new and continued along the path back to the centre.  I then notice a tweet indicating that the shrike had been seen but was elusive.  I hadn’t heard from Steve so I gave him a call and apparently Terry Mitcham had seen and photographed this morning but he and Terry hadn’t been able to find it.

When I reached the centre there were a few more birds visiting the feeders and I hoped a Marsh Tit might come in but after a few seconds of viewing presumably the same Sparrowhawk flashed through and so I continued along the path beyond the centre but saw very little.  When I got back birds were beginning to return to the feeders but again within a few seconds a Sparrowhawk flashed through, which was probably a different bird.

With no joy with the Marsh Tit I returned to Egleton and walked to Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three.  On opening the flaps there were very few birds close and I suspected something had caused some disturbance and the only bird of note was a single Little Egret right at the back of the lagoon.

As I walked towards Sandpiper Hide I met Steve who informed me that he and Terry had seen very little on Lagoon Four, although a Peregrine was resting on one of the islands.  After a chat I continued on to the hide and soon found the Peregrine but there was very little else.  The water level is now rising and consequently there are small number of gulls assembling but there were still good numbers of Black-headed and Common Gulls, with smaller numbers of Herring and Great Black-backed Gull but just one Lesser Black-backed Gull and nothing unusual.

As I left the hide there was a Barn Owl hunting in corner near the gate back to the centre, which then perched in a tree.  I informed Steve but before he could decide what to do the owl took off and disappeared towards Lagoon Two.  I went into Osprey Hide but there was no sign but I did find another eleven Pintail.  As I got back towards the centre there was a Great White Egret at the back of Lagoon One but with nothing else I went back to the car park and after a coffee headed off home.

No comments:

Post a Comment