Tuesday 22 November 2016

A day at Rutland Water, Rutland - November 22, 2016

It was still raining early morning after yesterday’s torrential rain and so I left home a little later at just before 08:00.  I headed for the Lyndon reserve at Rutland Water but saw very little on route.

It had stopped raining when I pulled up in the car park and I saw eight Fieldfares in the car park area before I went to view the feeding station.  There were just three Blue Tits and three Great Tits at the feeders when I arrived but I waited a while and eventually more birds started to come.  The first were several Goldfinches that were then joined by a couple of Tree Sparrows and Chaffinches and finally a Marsh Tit put in an appearance.


I moved to Teal Hide to view the south arm hoping that a Great Northern Diver, reported two days ago would still be there. I looked towards Manton Bay initially but other than a Little Egret and a few Goldeneye there was little else and I turned my attention to large stretch of water in front of the hide.  There were plenty of birds and I found a female Common Scoter amongst a party of Tufted Duck and a second Little Egret landed close to Goldeneye Hide on Lax Hill.  Despite a thorough search there was no sign of Sunday’s diver and eventually moved on to the North Arm.

After I had parked at the end of the unnamed road I scanned the fishponds but the water was very muddy-looking and there were very few birds.  With a little light rain I moved into the shelter to view the north shore.  There was a female Goosander just on the fishponds side of the bund, four Little Egrets were resting on the bund and there was a nice adult Yellow-legged Gull on one of the buoys.  As the drizzle had almost stopped I went out to the end of the spit to view the rest of the North Arm.  There were plenty of birds on the water to the south of the spit and I counted twenty-eight Pintail amongst the more numerous Wigeon and Teal, with small numbers of Gadwall, Mallard and Shoveler and I also found two male and female Mandarins, which was a patch-tick, resting on the shore.  Further out there were a few Pochard scattered amongst the more numerous Tufted Duck.  On the shoreline I found the long-staying Whimbrel and a Redshank and as I scanned further up the arm I found three Great White Egrets with another five Little Egrets.  I continued scanning the water and eventually found the target bird a Slavonian Grebe.  I then moved my attention back to the north shore and found a party of Dunlin, of which there were at least thirty-six, although they were difficult to count in the poor light.  With no sign of either the Pink-footed Goose or Barnacle Geese I moved on to the Old Hall to view the south arm.

After parking at the bottom of the hill I walked east and beyond the Old Hall to view the bay.  There was a Little Egret near Hambleton Wood and quite a few Great Crested Grebes were scattered around amongst a small party of Tufted Duck and Goldeneye but there appeared to be little else.  As I was about to move off but scanned a few birds first that were a little closer and immediately found the Red-necked Grebe, which was fairly close to the shore.  After walking back to the other side of the Old Hall I scanned the concentration of birds just off shore, which were mainly Tufted Duck and Coot and nothing unusual.

It was now approaching lunchtime and so I drove to the Egleton car park for lunch and afterwards went into the centre.  There hadn’t been a great deal reported and so I went to the viewing area to view Lagoon One.  There was clearly a good number f Pintail on the lagoon and I counted 110, which is an excellent number but with little else of note I set off for the northern lagoons.

There were quite a few Redwings in the hedgerows of the meadows and as I approached the big meadows I found a Lesser Redpoll feeding in a Silver Birch.  As I scanned the tree I noticed another couple of birds, which were Goldfinch and then I had what I was pretty sure was a Siskin but couldn’t get a decent view of it.  I managed to get to the far side of the tree without disturbing the birds and was able to confirm that there was a female/immature Siskin.  I hadn’t seen the Lesser Redpoll again and began to wonder if I had misidentified the Siskin but eventually a forth bird appeared and confirmed my original identification was correct.

I hadn’t seen a great deal else by the time I reached Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three but other than four Pintail there was nothing else of note on the lagoon and so I moved on towards Lapwing Hide.

I called at Crake Hide on route and found yet another Little Egret and a Shelduck flew over before I moved onto Lapwing Hide.  There were plenty of birds in South Arm Three with a good number of Great Crested Grebes but other than another Little Egret and a few Goldeneye they were mainly Tufted Duck and Coot.

I called at Smew Hide on the way back where there were just two more Little Egrets and a single Shelduck of note and so I continued onto Sandpiper Hide on Lagoon Four.  The water level on the lagoon was still continuing to rise and consequently there were few birds.  There were three Shelduck and plenty of Lapwings on the furthest exposed spit but there were few gulls where they normally gather as a pre-roost, with just a few Black-headed, Common and Herring Gulls being present.

I went back to the centre to view Lagoon One again and found a drake and four female Goosanders on the long island and eventually a pair of reported Stonechats revealed themselves.  A Great White Egret was observed in flight near Brown’s Island and presumable the same Barn Owl that I had seen last Thursday appeared a started hunting over the area near Harrier Hide and the Wet Meadow.  I probably spent a good quarter of an hour watching it but with the light beginning to fail I called it a day.

Despite the weather it had been another good day’s birding at Rutland Water with seventy-three species recorded.

No comments:

Post a Comment