Wednesday 30 November 2016

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland and Cambridgeshire - November 29, 2016

There had been a good overnight frost with the car temperature indicating -7°C at one point as I headed for Rutland Water but it was at least bright and sunny.  I saw a Red Kite as I was approaching Cranoe, a Kestrel after passing through the village and then a Buzzard between Slawston and Blaston.

As I arrived in the North Arm at Rutland Water Steve and Terry were making their way back from the point and during a brief chat I informed them that there had been a male Red-breasted Merganser reported yesterday.  They hadn’t seen it but Steve mentioned that they had seen ten Goosanders and that one looked a bit odd, which he had assumed was a juvenile.  He then wondered if it could have been the merganser and we went into the field to view the birds.  Most of the Goosanders had moved closer to the shore and weren’t easy to see but Terry then found the possible Red-breasted Merganser on the bund.  It looked rather ragged and appeared thin billed and initially we thought it might be a merganser.  However on careful examination it was clearly just a ragged Goosander but it was easy to see how it could easily be misidentified as a Red-breasted Merganser.


Steve and Terry departed and I continued to the end of the unnamed road and viewed the fishponds.  As I scanned through the birds I found thirteen Goosanders, a Little Egret and a Grey Wagtail, which was on the north shore.

I then went through the gate to view the north arm and initially scanned the far shore, where the light was superb but it was rather cold and so I headed for an area in the sun.  As I scanned the north shore I picked up a single Redshank but couldn’t locate the Pink-footed Goose amongst the numerous Greylag Geese.  There were two Little Egrets on the bund, a third on the north shore and a forth near Dickinson’s Bay.  As the light was poor looking down the arm I walked through the field to reach the southern shore where the light would be a little better.  There were forty-six Pintail in the arm and I also counted thirty Pochard and as I continued to scan I found the Slavonian Grebe.  I then picked up a red-headed Smew, which was my first this autumn but I couldn’t find the two Black-necked Grebes Steve and Terry had seen.  I then noticed a Redshank to my left and as I looked at it I found the long-staying Whimbrel in the same area.  I called Steve to make him aware I had seen a Smew and the Whimbrel before making my way back to view the northern shore again.

As I scanned the northern shore from Dickinson’s Bay back towards the fishponds I found the two Black-necked Grebes, which were now where I have seen them so often.  I then started to go through the geese again and after a while noticed one that stretching down into a gully, which I suspected could be the Pink-foot but was unable to see the bill as it was feeding.  It eventually raised its head and I was able to confirm that it was the Pink-footed Goose.

Steve had called earlier to say that he and Terry had seen the Red-necked Grebe just east of the Old Hall and so I headed there next.  I was surprised to find so many birds in the south arm but went beyond the Old Hall to try and find the Red-necked.  The light wasn’t brilliant and so I walked a little further to the east to view the birds.  There were masses of Coots with smaller numbers of Wigeon, Gadwall and Great Crested Grebe mixed in.  I found the Red-necked Grebe on my third scan and there was a Redshank feeding along the shoreline.  I then walked on the west side of the Old Hall to get a better view of the birds in South Arm Three.  Again there were masses of Coot but there was no sign of the two Scaup seen last week and I suspected that they must be closer to Lapwing Hide.  I did scan the area several times but couldn’t locate them and moved onto the Egleton car park.

I was intending to go to Eldernell this afternoon but went into the Bird Watching Centre as David as asked me to get him a monopod from In Focus, which he was going to try on his trip to Costa Rica.  I decided to check out Lagoon One before I got the monopod and found the lagoon to partially frozen over.  There were still plenty of Pintail on the lagoon and I counted eighty-five but other than a few Goosanders, which I suspected were some of those I had seen in the fishponds, there was little else.  I went and got David’s monopod and then set off for Eldernell.


Collared Dove in the Egleton car park


Redwing in the Egleton car park

I tried calling Malcolm to see if he was out and he was in the North Arm, having seen two Smew, and he had also seen a couple of Great White Egrets, which I hadn’t seen today.  He described where they were and I decided to drop down to the bottom of Barnsdale and hopefully see them on the south shore.  The light was pretty poor but I did manage to see one, although clearly not the best views I have ever had.

I was soon on my way heading toward Stanford and then turned south on the A1 before coming off onto the A47, where there two soaring Red Kites, and heading for Peterborough.  I was soon on the far side of Peterborough heading east on the A605 towards Eldernell.  I initially went to Marsh Farmers as there had been several hundred Whooper Swans and a few Bewick’s Swans reported at the weekend.  After passing the turn to Eldernell I saw a Buzzard and two Kestrels before reaching the turn to Marsh Farmers.

After I had had my lunch I went up the bank to view the washes and was disappointed to find that at least some of the water was frozen and there were just a few Whooper Swans.  I started to scan the area and found a Redshank when another birder arrived.  He informed me that it was very good for waders at the weekend and he thought most, like the swans, would have gone due the freezing conditions.  A Marsh Harrier then disturbed the birds and there quite a few Dunlin amongst a part of Lapwing.  When they all came down I scanned the area again and counted twenty-seven Dunlin, four Snipe and twenty-five Redshank and party of twenty-five Golden Plover also flew over.

A farmer then arrived, who obviously knew the other birder and as they were discussing what had been using the wash, I overhead the other birder mention that some Bean Geese had been reported at the weekend.  I realised I had seen four geese earlier but hadn’t taken too much notice as they were rather distant and I was more interested in going through the swans and waders.  I soon located them again and when I got them in the scope it was clear that they were either Pink-footed or Bean Geese.  They were feeding in rather long grass but the bright sunlight was making it difficult to be certain about the bill colour.  However one bird in particular was standing erect on several occasions and the neck and bill looked rather long and there seemed to be little contrast between the dark head and back, all of which suggested that they were Bean Geese.  One of the birds then walked directly away and I got a good look at the leg colour, which was clearly orange.  The other birder then used my scope to confirm my identification.  I remained quite some time afterwards but other than a Buzzard and a male Stonechat I wasn’t seeing a great deal else and so I moved onto Eldernell.

As I drove down to the car park at Eldernell there was a Red Kite perched over the road at the top of a tree but it flew out as I approached and a second later a rat dropped onto the road, which presumably the kite had released.

When I reached the car park it was pretty full, mainly due to a digger being parked in one corner, pending work on the sluice gate.  I joined another birder near the bridge and he pointed out three distant Cranes, which were two adults and a juvenile.  I moved further onto the bridge to get better view back towards Marsh Farmers but it was pretty quiet.  As I continued scanning I picked up four Cranes flying towards me but they turned west and were joined by the other three in flight before two dropped out of sight but and the others were visible on the ground after they alighted and I could see that there were two adults and three juveniles.


Cranes over Eldernell

It wasn’t long afterwards that one of the juveniles took to flight again and came down where the first two had gone down.  Other than a couple of Marsh Harriers I had seen very little when another birder came down to the bridge to tell me he had just watched a male Hen Harrier and a probable female flying west.  He had seen the birds well east of the car park and then watched them disappear to the west before making anyone aware; frustrating.  Whilst he was still talking I picked up a ring-tailed Hen Harrier that wasn’t too far away, which then proceeded to give good views probably for over five minutes before it eventually dropped and wasn’t seen again.

Whilst we were scanning the area a female birder got the attention of another birder and when I looked there were sixteen Cranes altogether right of the old duck decoy.  Shortly afterwards, but rather late in the day, the first of four Short-eared Owls appeared and between them they then put on a show in fading light.  A Barn Owl then appeared reasonably close but with the light now going rather quickly and the temperature dropping rather rapidly I called it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment