Wednesday 9 September 2015

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - September 8, 2015

I left home in rather dull and drab conditions and headed for Eyebrook Reservoir, passing through some light drizzle on route, seeing a Kestrel just to the east of Kibworth and a Green Woodpecker after passing through Blaston.

When I arrived at the reservoir it was dry and I stopped opposite the gate leading to the fishing lodge but it was very quiet today with just a couple of distant Red Kites worthy of note.  I moved on to the bay just to the left of the hide where I heard a Redshank calling but failed to see.  A few seconds later a black Labrador totally out of control came bounding through the grass and I suspect that it had flushed the Redshank as many of the duck were now taking evasive action by moving out onto the water.  I could hear someone calling the dog but they seemed to be some distance away but the dog after creating havoc did eventually disappear and had presumably returned to their irresponsible owner.  I checked the hedge leading away from the reservoir where there were still in excess of 100 Linnets and I also found a couple of Chiffchaffs.  I moved on towards the fence near the entrance to find the road covered in Red-legged Partridges just before the entrance to Holyoaks Farm and I estimated that there was well over100.  They are released, along with Pheasants for shoots on the farm and probably won’t be too long before we see injured birds flying into the confines of the reservoir.  From the fence there were eight Ringed Plovers, nine Dunlin and five Ruff.  There were also three Pintail on the water, which were the first I had seen here this autumn.

I drove along the road towards Stockerston but there was no sign of the Little Owls and it has been over two months now since my last sighting.  I turned around and went back to the reservoir stopping at the bridge but there was virtually nothing on view and so I continued on and parked overlooking the grassy area.  David had seen three Whinchat yesterday but there was sign in the now quite damp conditions.  As the drizzle stopped I saw a Kingfisher perched on a branch overhanging the stream and a few minutes later when I looked again it had been replaced by a Whinchat.  There were good numbers of both Swallow and House Martin over the reservoir and odd Sand Martins were also present amongst the more numerous Swallows and House Martins.

With little else I moved on to Dickinson’s Bay at Rutland Water to hopefully find a Red-necked Grebe.  As I was about to walk down the road to view the bay I heard a Marsh Tit call and managed brief views before it disappeared.  It was still very dismal as I walked through the gate to view the bay and there was a concentration of hirundines, many of which were settling in a tree and on the fence close to the water in the murky conditions with all three species present and probably in about equal numbers.  I scanned the bay but there were fewer birds than on my last visit but I did find five Pintail but there was no sign of the two Black-necked Grebes or the Red-necked.  I went back through the gate to view the north arm and spent quite some time scanning the water without success but suddenly the Red-necked Grebe appeared in the centre of the arm and was swimming slowly to the east.  It was a nice summer plumaged bird and possibly the bird reported earlier in August, which had been dismissed by some observers, but it was around the same time as last year’s August arrival and could well be the same bird.  With still no sign of the two Black-necked Grebes I went view to the north arm from the end of the cottage road.

After parking at the end of the lane I walked out towards the point finding five Barnacle Geese on the north shore and there were also ten Little Egrets but there was no sign of any waders.  I scanned a flock of Tufted Duck and almost immediately found the two Black-necked Grebes.  I walked into the field to view the point, which was totally devoid of birds and the only birds of interest were a couple of Pintail just off shore.  Before I left I sat in the car and observed the hedge near the cottage where I saw four Blackcaps.

I drove on to the Old Hall to view the south arm but again it was very quiet except for another party of hirundines.  As I walked west to view the green bank I flushed a couple of Yellow Wagtails and found a Common Sandpiper feeding along the green bank.

On reaching the reserve I went to the Bird watching Centre to view lagoon one before taking my lunch.  As I scanned through the mass of birds on the water I found six Red-crested Pochard and counted nineteen Little Grebes.  Other wildfowl included Wigeon, Gadwall, Teal, Mallard, Shoveler and Tufted Duck and there was also a large number of Coots.  A Hobby, almost certainly the same bird as seen on Saturday, was observed perched in the same area but with little else I went for my lunch.

After finishing my lunch I headed off to Shoveler hide on lagoon three but saw very little on route.  There were just three Green Sandpipers feeding to the left of the hide but Bob who had joined me in the hide said there had been seven earlier.  Two juvenile Reed Warblers then made their way through the reeds just in front of the hide but with little else I moved on to crake hide, hearing a Cetti’s Warbler on route.  There was very little from crake and so I moved to Lapwing hide to check out lagoon two.  From Lapwing hide it is possible to see a significant amount of shoreline not visible from elsewhere and I found a Ruff and a couple of Green Sandpipers.  Once I was satisfied that there was no other waders on view I turned and opened a flap to view south arm three.  I scanned the water and almost immediately saw a large dark bird resting on the water.  It appeared close to two Great Crested Grebes and was considerably larger and I was thinking that it might be a Great Skua.  I grabbed my scope to view the bird more closely but it was difficult, even on x60 magnification, to get any real details as still just looked all dark.  However I was even more convinced that it was a Great Skua as it still appeared to be a big and powerful bird with a noticeable thick neck and large head and even the bill was prominent at this range.  I called Bob to inform him and he said he would come and join me but before he got to me the bird took to flight revealing that white flashes in both the upper and lower wings.  As it continued to fly towards me the wing-beats were steady and powerful and it gained height rather quickly.  I suspected that Bob might arrive at any second and so ran to the other end of the hide near the door where I would hopefully still be able to get him on to it but when I looked out I couldn’t find it and it wasn’t seen again.  When Bob arrived we spent a few minutes scanning but it had obviously gone and so we diverted our attention back on to lagoon two, where we found another two Ruff and a Greenshank.

As we walked back Tim Mac and Lloyd were coming down the track and after a brief conversation about Lloyd's Wryneck and news of a Turnstone on lagoon four we went to sandpiper hide.  We found nine Ringed Plovers and a seven Dunlin and Bob found a Red Kite over Burley but there was no sign of the Turnstone.  Bob went back to his car whilst I went to plover hide to get a different view of lagoon four and whilst I could see several Ringed Plovers and Dunlin most were out of sight behind island five.  A made another visit to Shoveler hide on lagoon three where there was now a Snipe in view and seven Green Sandpipers before heading back to the car park.

As it was still quite early I decided to go to Lyndon where there were twenty-one Tree Sparrows around the feeders.  Another birder informed me that all he had seen in Manton Bay was a Ruff and a Greenshank and I considered that it wouldn’t be worth the walk and went back to Egleton.

The Great White Egret had been seen on lagoon one earlier but there was no sign of it and whilst I contemplated what to do I thought I heard a Spotted Redshank call and saw two birds appearing to drop out of sight on to lagoon two.  I therefore went to Redshank hide to view the lagoon but the view is rather restrictive and there was no sign of any waders and so I decided to go back to Lapwing hide, which I considered to be the best option.  Unfortunately all I could find from Lapwing were two Green Sandpipers, although I did see a Goldeneye in south arm three.

Another visit into Shoveler hide produced six Green Sandpipers and I heard a Water Rail call and a walk to Dunlin hide on lagoon four produced three Yellow-legged Gulls and a few Ringed Plovers and Dunlin.  As I started to walk back to the car I had some rather nice views of a Chiffchaff but had seen nothing else as I reached the car park and called it a day.

Despite the rather dreary weather it had been quite a good day with the highlight being the Great Skua.  The Great Skua was only my third for the counties and on a day with just a light north-easterly breeze was most unexpected and good addition to my County Year List.

No comments:

Post a Comment