Wednesday 2 September 2015

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - September 1, 2015

I left home in very heavy rain and headed for the Lyndon Reserve at Rutland Water after collecting some books from David for Erik.  When I arrived at the Lyndon car park the rain was still very heavy and I took shelter in the side door of the centre and waited for the rain to ease.  The centre was closed but I could see the feeders through the windows where there was quite a bit of activity with Blue and Great Tits, Greenfinch and Tree Sparrows making regular visits.  There was also a flock of circa thirty Goldfinches feeding on thistles closer to the water’s edge and I could see into the south arm where there were plenty of Tufted Ducks.  What I didn’t know was that there was a Spoonbill near Goldeneye hide at the base of Lax Hill, which I couldn't see without getting wet.  As the rain eased I headed for shallow water hide in Manton Bay but before doing so checked the shore in front of Goldeneye but didn’t see the Spoonbill, which presumably had already departed.  Part of the path on route to shallow water hide was flooded, which I managed to navigate without getting my feet wet and by the time I reached the turn to the hide I had seen three Chiffchaffs but very little else.  I bird flew from my left and in to the bushes at the start of the path down to the hide and shortly afterwards revealed itself for long enough for me to identify it as a juvenile Whitethroat.

Fortunately all the flaps were shut in the hide, which had kept the inside reasonably dry despite the heavy rain and northerly wind.  As I opened the first flaps I could see that there were two Ospreys still present, which were then joined by a third but I am sure that they want be remain too much longer.  I scanned around the shore and found seven Ringed Plovers, a Dunlin, nine Ruff, three Common Sandpipers, two Green Sandpipers, a Greenshank and two Wood Sandpipers but there was no sign of a Spotted Redshank, which I had seen on Saturday, although it was seen later.  There were plenty of birds on the water that included Mute Swan; Greylag Geese, Egyptian Geese, Wigeon; Gadwall, Teal, Mallard, Shoveler, Tufted Duck, Little Grebe, Great Crested Grebe, Coot and three Pintail and there were also three Little Egrets in the bay.

I eventually made my way back towards the centre calling at Tufted Duck hide but unlike Saturday there were no warblers present and so I continued to the centre.  On reaching the centre I went to Teal hide where I found another Common Sandpiper to the left of the hide and became aware of the earlier Spoonbill when I called Steve.  He informed me that he and Terry had seen a second-year Little Gull near Brown’s Island but despite spending some time scanning the water I was unable to find it, although I did see the Great White Egret, and I eventually moved on to the Dickinson’s Bay.

On reaching Dickinson’s Bay it didn’t take too long to locate the moulting Black-necked Grebe but there was little else in evidence and so I went to the Old Hall.  I walked west from the Old Hall in search of the Little Gull but again drew a blank but I did see two Common Sandpipers, fifteen Common Terns, a Wheatear and a Yellow Wagtail.


After parking along the road to the cottage I found another Common Sandpiper and a Green Sandpiper along the shoreline in the fishponds but then continued through the gate to view the north arm.  Yesterday there had been an unprecedented number of Ringed Plovers with c.180 on lagoon four and another circa sixty in the north arm.  Today I couldn’t find a single one and the only waders I saw were a single Ruff and three Curlews.  It was also quiet over Burley Wood with just a single Buzzard showing.  There was a very obliging Spotted Flycatcher feeding from a dead tree in the hedge and I was able to get a few photo of it before I departed.


Spotted Flycatcher


Spotted Flycatcher

When I reached the Egleton car park I had my lunch before entering the Bird Watching Centre to view lagoon one.  There were plenty of birds on the water and I found three Red-crested Pochard amongst the more numerous Gadwall and Coot and there were also good numbers of Mallard and Shoveler with smaller numbers of Wigeon and Teal.  Despite scanning the lagoon on a number of occasions I was unable to locate any waders other than a few Lapwings.  I then toyed with the idea of going to Snipe hide to look for two Whinchat reported earlier but decided to go to Shoveler hide on lagoon three.

There was clearly some passerine activity in one of the meadow hedgerows and I stopped for a while seeing several Blue Tits, three Chiffchaffs, a Willow Warbler, two Greenfinch and several Bullfinches.  As I was approaching the turning to Shoveler hide I met Bob and as we stood and talked I caught sight of a Clouded Yellow butterfly, which was my first of the year.  I walked back to sandpiper hide on lagoon four with Bob and after seeing a Common Sandpiper on the nearest spit Bob found a group of Ringed Plovers.  There were on island one and were not easy to see but there were at least five and also had a brief view of a Dunlin but just afterwards they took to flight and there were circa fifteen birds.  They gained height and flew north before appearing to come down in the north arm and it wasn’t long afterwards that I picked up another party of circa fifteen birds that did exactly the same.  It was possible that the first flock had doubled back but as Tim had reported over twenty Ringed Plovers and fourteen Dunlin earlier it was perhaps more likely there were two flocks.  There was an Osprey on the ‘T’ perch on the lagoon and I picked up a Hobby as it flew quite close to the hide before flying off to the south and disappearing from view.  Bob then found another falcon some distance off, that he though could be a second Hobby, but it suddenly stopped heading west and started hovering, confirming that it was in fact a Kestrel.  As we scanned Burley Wood we located two Red Kites and six Buzzards but I eventually left Bob and moved on to Shoveler hide on lagoon three.

There was a Redshank directly in front of the hide and five Green Sandpipers were also visible.  Two Ospreys then flew over and I assumed that one would have been the bird that was on the ‘T’ perch on lagoon four and there were masses of Tufted Ducks on the lagoon and a careful scan revealed several Pochard but nothing else and I moved on to crake hide.

As I had seen a couple of Reed Warblers from the hide on Saturday I was hoping for a repeat performance but there was no sign but I did have two very nice juvenile Sedge Warblers.  I continued on to Lapwing hide and found a single Goldeneye amongst a raft of Tufted Ducks but there was still no sign of the Little Gull.  I looked on to lagoon two from the hide and found a couple of Green Sandpipers and saw a Greenshank from Smew hide as I walked back.

As I approached the path to Buzzard hide there was quite a bit of activity and I had two Chiffchaffs, another juvenile Sedge Warbler and a Reed Warbler.  I went back into Shoveler hide and found that the five Green Sandpipers and Redshank had been joined by a Greenshank that I assumed was the bird of lagoon two.

As I started to head back to the centre David appeared and I went back into Sandpiper hide with him but other then four Pintail, four Ruff and a Curlew there was little else and I went back to Mallard hide to try and see the Whinchats near Snipe hide and three Black-tailed Godwits David had seen on lagoon one.

I soon found the three Black-tailed Godwits, which had been joined by two Greenshanks, but I couldn’t see the Whinchats.  I called Steve to see if he and Terry had seen anything else and they had seen the Whinchats from both Snipe hide and the centre and indicated that they were in fact on the long island.  They had also seen a Garganey to the right of the centre and also the Little Gull on two more occasions near Goldeneye hide.  I hadn’t got time to give the Little Gull another go and there was no sign of the Whinchats on the long island but I did find the Garganey in the water behind the long island.

I had arranged to meet Erik in the car park with his books and after a short chat set off for Eyebrook Reservoir where David had seen a single Curlew Sandpiper.  David then called to say that he and Terry had seen a Marsh Harrier drop on to lagoon one but I decided to carry on to Eyebrook Reservoir, which was the right decisions as they didn’t see it again.

When I reached Eyebrook Reservoir I drove around to the fence and on scanning the area I found eighteen Ringed Plovers, seven Dunlin and sixteen Ruff but there was no sign of the Curlew Sandpiper.  I checked with another birder to see if they had seen the sandpiper who informed me that about ninety minutes ago it was flushed by a Peregrine and hadn’t returned.

I had been a funny day as I had managed to miss Spoonbill, Marsh Harrier, Curlew Sandpiper, Spotted Redshank, Little Gull and Whinchat but despite these disappointments I had still recorded eight-seven species, which is an excellent for a day’s birding locally.

No comments:

Post a Comment