Wednesday 30 September 2015

A day at Rutland Water, Rutland - September 29, 2015

My plan this morning was to view the North Arm at Rutland Water from Barnsdale in the hope of seeing the Red-necked and Black-necked Grebes and also hoping that yesterday’s juvenile Arctic Tern would still be present.  However when I reached the Stamford Road it was closed for resurfacing and it wasn’t possible to get to Barnsdale without following a lengthy detour.  I therefore started at the end of cottage road and found a Green Sandpiper in the fishponds.  As I was scanning the fishponds Steve arrived and we walked through the gate to view the north arm.  There were just two Barnacle Geese on the north shore and Steve picked up a perched Red Kite in Burley Wood and circa eighty House Martins over the wood.  There was a Yellow-legged Gull on the bund and eight Curlew were feeding on the south shore.  There was very little on the main water and we couldn’t locate either of the grebes or the tern.


Steve went off to do a mini version of his normal tour of the reservoir and I went over to the Lyndon Reserve.  When I arrived I checked out the feeders where there few birds, mainly Blue and Great Tits but there was also a Coal Tit and a single Tree Sparrow.  I checked South Arm Three from Teal Hide but like the north arm there were few birds and certainly nothing of note.  I then set off to Sallow Water Hide but it was particularly quiet this morning, although I did find a couple of Chiffchaffs quite close to the hide.  From the hide I found three Ruff and two Redshank and one of the Great White Egrets was on the Heron Bay bund.  I counted thirty Pintail in the bay and there was also good numbers of Wigeon, Shoveler, Pochard and Coot with small numbers of Gadwall, Teal, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Little Grebe and Great Crested Grebe.  As I walked back I scanned South Arm Two close to Tufted Duck Hide where there was a mass of wildfowl, which were mainly Tufted Duck but there was also another Yellow-legged Gull on the bund.  As I approached the centre there was some activity on the right of the path and few birds were feeding in several large bramble bushes and after a patient wait I found two more Chiffchaffs.


Wigeon grazing in Manton bay

Whilst I had been in Shallow Water Hide Stave had called to say he found a Rock Pipit and Yellow Wagtail at the dam and a few minutes later I received a text to say that there were two Rock Pipits.  Ken had also called to say he had arrived and so I went to Egleton and after a brief discussion we decided to go to the dam to hopefully find the Rock Pipits.  Having parked at the side off the road near a style we walked the short distance to the dam and began scanning the rocks.  We could see several Pied Wagtails but initially we saw very little else but I then noticed some pipits some distance along the dam.  They were out of view for most of the time and also very distant and so we decided to walk along the dam to get closer.  As we walked across the dam we saw plenty of Pied Wagtails and also a couple of pipits but mostly in flight and on the one occasion I did get a view of one perched I was sure it was a Meadow Pipit.  We had several views of the Yellow Wagtail but most were in flight and all of the birds appeared very restless.  We finally got back to the pumping station and decided to have another go scanning along the dam from there.  Pied Wagtails were fairly obvious and eventually I saw what I thought was a good candidate for a Rock Pipit but it was only showing intermittently and very briefly each time.  I got Ken onto the right area and eventually we managed to get reasonable if distant views of the bird and were satisfied that it was one of the two Rock Pipits.  Having seen a single Grey Wagtail we eventually managed four.

After returning to the Egleton car park and having a bite to eat we went to the Bird Watching Centre to view lagoon one.  Steve was also back and informed me that there was a Greenshank at the back of the lagoon but other than that and one of the Great White Egrets there was little else.  As we sat in the viewing the area a Sparrowhawk flew over but with little else Steve went off to Wigeon Hide and Ken and I set of towards the northern lagoons.

We walked around to Dunlin Hide on Lagoon Four where we found the juvenile female Peregrine devouring a prey item and there were also nine Ringed Plovers and a Dunlin.  There were plenty of gulls to the left of the hide, mainly Black-headed but there was also Common, Lesser Black-backed, Herring and Great Black-backed and a single Yellow-legged Gull.  There were few other birds on the lagoon although we did see a single juvenile Shelduck and three Pintail.


Black-headed Gull over Lagoon Four

A Bittern has been reported on Lagoon Three the last few evenings and I was planning to stay a little later in the hope of seeing it.  Ken and I therefore set off with a view of calling at Crake and Lapwing Hides and making Shoveler hide our last port of call.  As we approached the path leading to Shoveler Hide, Ken had a brief view of Jay, which we then found perched on top of a hawthorn bush and I was able to get a few photos before it flew off towards lagoon two being followed by a second bird.


Jay


Jay


Jay


Jay

Other than six Little Egrets there was very little from crake and a Yellow-legged Gull in South Arm Three was the only thing of note from Lapwing Hide.

On reaching Shoveler Hide we found two Green Sandpipers to the left of the hide and there were two juvenile Shelduck on the far island.  At one point the hide became congested but eventually, after Ken departed, I had the hide to myself.  Scanning the reedbed with the scope I had picked up two Chiffchaffs as they moved through the edge of the reeds and as I followed them the Bittern appeared from the opposite direction.  I was then able to follow it as it moved slowly right, at the edge of the reeds, when it was up to its belly in water and at times appeared to swimming.  However as it approached a Grey Heron, also at the reed edge, it moved deeper into the reeds and I didn’t see it again.  Just after it disappeared Tim arrived but all we managed to locate was a distant Reed Warbler and eventually with both called it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment