Monday 13 July 2015

A day out in Leicestershire & Rutland - July 11, 2015

After emptying the moth trap and having breakfast I set of Eyebrook Reservoir and approached the reservoir from the northern end but again there was no sign of the Little Owls.  A Blackcap and Garden Warbler were heard from the bridge and the Garden Warbler was eventually observed briefly.  There were two Little Egrets feeding at the inlet and another eight were observed resting on the Leicestershire bank.  There were two Dunlin amongst the Lapwings and a Curlew on the dried mud flew off north shortly after I had seen it.  Ten Common Terns, including both adults and juveniles were flying around the rafts but no young were visible on the raft, indicating that they had fledged.  Five Banded Demoiselles, a Green-veined White and a Ringlet were also observed at the bridge.


When I arrived at Egleton I set off for Snipe hide on the Wet Meadow but there was very little and I continued on towards harrier hide but decided to go on to Fieldfare hide where I found seven Little Egrets, an Oystercatcher, three Curlew and a couple of Green Sandpiper.  I had intended to call at harrier hide on my way back but Malcolm called to say the Great White Egret was showing really well in Heron Bay and so I set off for there.


Four-spotted Chaser

When I arrived in the hide at Heron Bay, Malcolm was still present but indicated that the egret had just flown and dropped behind some bushes and was now out of sight.  However it wasn’t too long before reappeared and I was able to get reasonable views, although it was now more distant.  An adult and three young Ospreys could be seen at the Manton Bay nest and a Buzzard and a couple of Little Egrets flew over but other than a Little Grebe there was little else and we set off back to the centre.


Great White Egret


Little Egret over Heron Bay


Little Egret over Heron Bay

We called at the 360 hide on lagoon six but other than a pair of Little Grebes attempting to build a nest and three Common Terns there was little else.  As we approached the turning to the Centre a Hobby flew over.  The weather had now become more overcast and there were fewer butterflies on the wing but I had seen Large White, Small Tortoiseshell, Speckled Wood, Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown, Ringlet and Large Skipper and also Banded Demoiselle, Red-eyed Damselfly, Southern Hawker, Brown Hawker, Four-spotted Chaser, Black-tailed Skimmer and Common Darter.

Erik arrived whilst Malcolm and I were having lunch and afterwards we went to the Centre to view lagoon one.  Erik picked up a juvenile Scaup and whilst I was trying to get on it I found a second and then noticed a single Dunlin nearby.  Malcolm then went to the northern lagoons, whilst Erik and I stayed in the centre where we found a third juvenile Scaup.  Rick came into the viewing area indicating that he had seen very little on the northern lagoons and informed us that Malcolm had now gone to the north arm.  Erik and I decided that our best options was to go to the north arm but as we were approaching the end of Church Road, Malcolm called to say don’t bother as there is nothing here.  However as we were so close we decided to carry on and after a brief chat with Malcolm we went through the gate to view the area.  We hadn’t been there a minute when Erik found not one but three Common Sandpipers on the bud and as I called Malcolm to make him aware he then found eleven Little Ringed Plovers on the north shore.  As I was trying to locate the plovers Erik then found a drake Common Scoter, which was a county year tick.  Malcolm then returned and couldn’t believe what was there but he then admitted that he hadn’t really looked but took the word of another birder.  Malcolm and I never managed to see all eleven Little Ringed Plovers but I did manage to locate seven and three Curlew.  A quick visit to the south arm produced a Goldeneye and two Yellow-legged Gulls but little else and after dropping Erik off I went back to Eyebrook Reservoir.

When I arrived Malcolm was present but he hadn't found the reported Little Gull but there were two Little Ringed Plovers on the Rutland bank.  We both continued to scan the reservoir but there was no sign of the Little Gull and so we went to the island coral to view the southern end of the reservoir but had the same result.  Malcolm left and I headed back to the southern coral but as there was still no sign of the Little Gull and I eventually called it a day and headed off home.

No comments:

Post a Comment