Wednesday 10 June 2015

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - June 4, 2015

I decided to visit Great Easton first this morning as it one of the more reliable sites for hearing and possibly seeing Cuckoo.  When I set off the sun was shining brightly although it felt a little cool and when I arrived at the old railway line at Great Easton the weather was pretty much the same but it had warmed up nicely when I finally departed.  As I parked the car one of the first birds I saw was a Green Woodpecker that landed on the trunk of a close by tree where it remained partially hidden.


Green Woodpecker

Not surprisingly as soon as I got out of the car the woodpecker flew off.  There was a Whitethroat singing close by but I was unable to locate it as I walked to the barn where there is an owl box.  When I reached the barn I could see some dried grass in the box but there was no sign of any owls and unfortunately I hadn’t seen or heard any Cuckoos.  I went back towards the car before turning and heading off down the old track and walked as far as the gate across the track before turning and coming back.  There was plenty of song with several Chiffchaff, Willow Warblers and Blackcaps heard as I walked towards the gate.  On reaching the gate two Swift flew over and perhaps surprisingly there was a Grey Heron stood in a ploughed field.  As I began to walk back I heard a Lesser Whitethroat and managed brief views and there were also several Song Thrushes in evidence.  As I was getting back towards the car a Red Kite flew over and as I fired off a few shots off I heard a Cuckoo call but I couldn’t see it.  It continued to call as I went along the track and then suddenly took to flight and flew away and into a tree in a field hedgerow.  I scanned the tree but still couldn’t see it but it suddenly came out of the tree and flew back over the railway and disappeared into the distant plantation but I could still hear it calling.  Surprising a few minutes later a second bird flew along the same flight path but didn’t call and was possibly a female.  I was joined by a dog walker who asked if I had seen the Barn Owl, which of cause I hadn’t.  They advised me that it wasn’t using the barn at present but she had been seeing it regularly up to about two weeks ago.  Just after she had left I picked up a Barn Owl hunting over one of the adjacent fields and it flew around for about fifteen minutes occasionally perching in the tress before flying off to the east. Having seen both Cuckoo and Barn Owl and a good selection of commoner birds I was quite pleased with the start to the day and headed off to Eyebrook Reservoir.


Red Kite


Barn Owl

When I arrived at the southern end of the reservoir there was no sign of the usual Tree Sparrows but I did see a distant Red Kite.  I stopped at the island coral but there was no sign of any Little Ringed Plovers on the island and I continued on down the Leicestershire side of the reservoir.  I continued on to few the old oak but the Little Owl wasn’t showing and so I went back to the reservoir seeing a Blackcap from the bridge before continuing to overlook the inlet area.  As I began scanning I saw a Little Ringed Plover in flight and I counted fifteen Ringed Plovers on the Leicestershire bank and there was also a couple of Dunlin and a single Black-tailed Godwit.  With little else being seen I drove towards the Stoke Dry car park and found the two suspect Pink-footed Geese amongst a few Greylags.

On reaching the car park I decided I would go for a walk in the plantation, which is something I haven’t done for a while.  There were a few singing Chiffchaffs, a couple of Willow Warblers and I heard five Blackcaps and saw a female.  I also saw a Whitethroat in an area that had been cleared and a Lesser Whitethroat was heard but not seen.  There were quite a few Goldcrest and I saw a Coal Tit and heard a second and also had brief views of a Treecreeper.  A Little Egret flew by heading towards the dam and an Osprey was observed towards the inlet before I started to walk back.  On the way back, I was mainly seeing or hearing pretty much of I had done when I walked out, however as I approached the entrance gate I heard what I thought was a Spotted Flycatcher and found it perched on the bare branch of an old conifer.  This was quite a find as it has been over twenty years since I last saw one at this site and as I pulled away on route to Rutland Water I was again pretty pleased with the selection of birds I had seen.

At Rutland Water I initially called at the Lyndon Reserve where I had six Tree Sparrows on the feeders along with a nice Yellowhammer.  Surprisingly all of the Tree Sparrows were juveniles and presumably the adults were now on a second brood.  Having spent some time talking to Paul in the centre I set off to Wader Scrape Hide hearing a few Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps on route and seeing a single Whitethroat.  When I reached the hide both Ospreys were on the nest, although the three young are not yet visible.  I observed three Sedge Warblers from the hide and there was a Reed Warbler singing but wasn’t seen and I heard a Cuckoo calling from the far side on several occasions but like the Reed Warbler it remained elusive.  There were thirty-four Common Terns feeding mainly over Manton Bay but also over the south arm and a Little Egret was observed in flight over the bay.  I found a distant Red Kite and Kestrel and two Buzzards were observed much closer.  I called at Tufted Duck hide on my way back to the centre where I found a female Gadwall with a brood of six ducklings, which I considered to be a little early.  Another nice surprise was a female Grey Wagtail as they are not particularly common here at this time of the year.  On reaching the centre I had some nice views of a male Broad-bodied Chaser and a couple of Large Red Damselflies.

I finally headed for the north arm where I had some lunch, having brief views of an Osprey low over the north shore whilst doing so.  When I had finished my lunch I scanned the fishponds and located a single drake Goldeneye but other than a pair of Shelduck and a Little Egret on the north shore and several Common Terns over the north arms it was pretty quiet.

On reaching the centre at Egleton I headed off to Snipe hide on the Wet Meadow where the Avocets were still present, with one of the birds sitting and there was also a couple of Shelduck, a Little Egret and a Redshank.  Six Oystercatchers flew over and a Hobby was observed hawking between lagoon two and south arm three.  As I walked back to the centre I saw both Blackcap and Garden Warbler.


Rook in the Wet Meradow


Broad-bodied Chaser from Snipe hide

On reaching the centre I continued on towards the northern lagoons seeing a couple of Great Spotted Woodpeckers, a Jay and another Blackcap.  I called at sandpiper hide on lagoon four first where I found two Oystercatchers, a Little Ringed Plover and three Ringed Plovers and the six Oystercatchers, probably those seen early dropped in.  On hearing a Redshank call I looked towards island seven and I could see a wader at the water’s edge and presumed it to be the Redshank.  However when I got the scope on it I could see that it was a Greenshank, which was a pretty unusual record with most spring birds passing through during April to mid-May.  I also found the Redshank quite close to the Greenshank, which then flew to island eight.  The Greenshank then also flew to island eight before calling and flying off over lagoon three, where it appeared to land.

I moved to Shoveler hide on lagoon three but there was no sign of the Greenshank but I did locate a single Teal and a couple of Pochard.

It had been a pretty good day and I had recorded ninety-four species, which is good for June.

No comments:

Post a Comment