Wednesday 3 June 2015

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland and Warwickshire - June 2, 2015

It was extremely windy when I set off for Rutland Water hoping that the two Temminck’s Stints would still be present, although I had my doubts due to the poor overnight weather.  The rain had ceased when I arrived in the Egleton car park but it was still incredibly windy as I walked along the service track to lagoon four and sandpiper hide.  When I arrived in the hide I found Tim Mackrill already scanning the lagoon but he had seen just a Little Ringed Plover, a couple of Ringed Plovers and a Dunlin.  I had no better luck and when he left I had found just the two Ringed Plovers and a Dunlin.  Shortly after Tim left Steve arrived and soon became obvious that there were few waders present.  Steve did find Hobby towards Oakham and a Yellow Wagtail on island six and whilst I scanned for the wagtail I found a Little Ringed Plover and we finished up with three Oystercatchers.  Steve departed and went to lagoon three and I followed a short while afterwards going to Bittern hide on the lagoon.  Other than a few Common Terns there was very little and I went to plover hide on lagoon four but only added Common Gull to my day list.  I decided to call at Shoveler hide on lagoon three before going back to the centre and found three Teal, a drake Wigeon and four drake Pochard and I had an Osprey visible over the north arm.  As I was about to leave a text arrived indicating that a Little Tern had been seen from Wader Scrape hide in south arm two.

I was intending to visit the southern lagoons after calling at the centre but decided to give the centre a miss and head off towards the south arm.  I called at the 360° hide on route and found a single Oystercatcher and two Redshanks on the shore leading away from the hide and there was a single Common Tern on one of the islands.  There were also three Oystercatchers and a Redshank on lagoon eight and all nine Mute Swan cygnets were still present.  I continued on to Wigeon hide that overlooks south arm three and to my relief the wind was not blowing directly into the hide and I was able to scan the area without too much trouble.  There were quite a few Common Terns feeding over the water and it didn’t take too long to locate the Little Tern and although it was rather distant I did get some reasonable scope views.  The two Ospreys were both present, although it is not yet possible to see any of the three young birds.  I called Steve to inform him that the Little Tern was still present before making my way back to the centre.

I called at both Pintail and tern hides on lagoon six but other then four Shelduck and a single Oystercatcher there was little else.  From harrier hide the pair of Avocets was still present and there was also a pair of Shelduck with a brood of eight in the same area.  I continued on to Snipe hide on the Wet Meadow where there was another Oystercatcher and one of the Avocets made a brief visit to the flash.  With little else I went back to the car park for lunch where I saw Mike, who had seen what he thought was a Sanderling on lagoon three.  Ken arrived an shortly afterwards Steve appeared and after a brief chat Ken and I set off for lagoon three.  When we arrived we soon located the Sanderling on one of the exposed areas of mud and a Hobby provided some nice if brief close views.  We had discussed whilst in the car park news of a Grey Phalarope at Brandon Marsh, which had been identified as a female and Pat texted me to say it was worth seeing as it was in full summer plumage.  I had already called Roger to see if he was able to go tomorrow but after talking to Pat decided that we should go this afternoon.  I called Roger back and thought he could get away the afternoon after finishing his grandfather duties.  So after checking lagoon four unsuccessfully for a reported Little Tern but seeing an Oystercatcher chick Ken and I returned to the car park.

After some discussion Ken decided he would like to go as well and so he followed me to Roger’s and then I drove from there to Brandon Marsh.  When we arrived the centre was shut but am employee showed us the out of hours entrance and we walked towards East Marsh only to be told that it had departed at 16:30, just about the time we left Roger’s.  We continued on to the hide to find out that it been harassed by a Lesser Black-backed Gull and after making several attempts to land decided to go, flying over the hide and not being seen again.  During the short time we were in the hide we saw five adult and three juvenile Oystercatchers, four Little Ringed Plovers, two Redshanks and a couple of Common Terns.


It was very disappointing not seeing this bird and I suspect it might some time before another in this plumage appears.  It also seem quite likely that if the Lesser Black-backed Gull had not taken an interest it probably would still have been there when we arrived but that’s birding for you as sadly you can’t win them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment