Friday 5 December 2014

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - December 4, 2014

I called at Newton Harcourt first this morning where I had a selection of common passerines that included both Nuthatch and Treecreeper.

A Buzzard was the only bird of note I saw on route to Eyebrook Reservoir but one of the Little Owls was seen briefly as I entered from the northern end.  There didn’t appear to be too much as most of the exposed mud was bird less.  As I scanned a large party of Lapwing and a few Golden Plover took to flight and I observed a Peregrine briefly as it chased a bird low over the water before disappearing.  As I continued to scan more and more Lapwing, some quite distant, became obvious, presumably as the Peregrine moved south.  As the Lapwing began to return I noticed seven Dunlin drop in but they like the Lapwing were extremely nervous and never really settled whilst I was there.  Three Shelduck and a drake Pintail were observed on the water and two Red Kites were observed over the field at the extreme northern end.  When I moved towards Stoke Dry I stopped and scanned the Greylag Geese flock and found a single Pink-footed Goose amongst them and a Little Egret flew over.

From Eyebrook Reservoir I drove across country to the Lyndon Reserve at Rutland Water seeing a couple of Red Kites as I approached Lyddington.  On arrival at the Lyndon Centre I went to view the feeding station but there were only Blue and Great Tits visiting regularly and a couple of Chaffinch.  As I watched the feeders the birds suddenly scattered and a male Sparrowhawk flew in and perched on the feeding station.  It stayed for several minutes flying low around the feeding station on a couple of occasions during its stay before it flew off towards Manton.  I had left the camera in the car as the light was pretty awful and I didn’t expect this to happen but it was an opportunity missed of probably getting some nice shots.  Obviously after the Sparrowhawk left there was very little on the feeders and so I went into Teal hide to scan south arm three.  There was a gathering of Cormorants on the exposed island and a few Goldeneye but very little else and I eventually returned to the feeders.  There were more birds visiting now, which included a Marsh Tit and a Tree Sparrow.

I eventually left for the north arm and found the drake Smew in the fishponds and a couple of Pintail and a single Little Egret in the north arm.  There was no sign of the Great White Egrets and so I drove to Dickinson’s Bay and found them both on the far shore and there were also five Pintail and two Little Egrets in the bay.  The two Black-necked Grebes were observed not too far out and the three Common Scoters were also closer then on Tuesday.


After some lunch in the Egleton car park I went into the centre and counted seventy-six Pintail and also found four Curlew.  Norman joined me but we couldn’t find the red-headed Smew he had seen earlier.  I eventually set off to Shoveler hide on lagoon three seeing a Tawny Owl in one the owl boxes on route.  It was rather quiet on the lagoon but a Water Rail performed nicely just in front of the hide for several minutes and a Little Egret flew in.  I moved on to crake hide where other than a couple more Little Egrets there was very little and so I continued on to Lapwing hide.  Most of the birds were more distant today but as I scanned the shore on Brown’s Island I found a red-headed Smew, presumably the bird seen earlier by Norman.  Looking on lagoon two I found a couple of Black-tailed Godwits, one of which was colour ringed, and they were obviously the same birds observed on lagoon three on Tuesday.  There was also a drake Pintail and a female Goosander.  I picked up six Dunlin flying low over south arm three before they gained height and headed off to the north arm.  I called at sandpiper hide on route back to the centre but other than two Shelduck there was little else.  A final call at the centre failed to produce anything new and with light and the visibility being rather poor I called it a day at 15:20.

No comments:

Post a Comment