Wednesday 3 December 2014

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - December 2, 2014

I visited Eyebrook Reservoir on route to Rutland Water seeing a couple of Red Kites near Blaston on route.  I arrived at the southern end of Eyebrook Reservoir and saw another Red Kite as I went down the hill to the reservoir.  As I drove along the southern shore and just before I reached the turning to the bridge a flock of circa thirty Fieldfare were observed but there was no sign of the Little Owls in the old oak.  I stopped on the north shore overlooking than now extensive area of mud and there were c.150 Golden Plover and four Dunlin and two Shelduck were feeding in the water.  There was clearly fewer gulls than on Saturday and also there appeared to small numbers of wildfowl, which included Mute Swan, Greylag Goose, Wigeon, Gadwall; Teal; Mallard, Tufted Duck and Goldeneye.  There was also two more Red Kites over the fields to the west of the reservoir.

I went straight to the north arm at Rutland Water were it felt very raw in the brisk northerly wind.  There were five Little Egrets in the fishponds and another two in the north arm but there was no sign of the Great White Egrets or Black-necked Grebes but I did find a single Redshank on the south shore and seven Goosanders in the fishponds.  With no sign of the Great White Egret I decided to go to Dickinson’s Bay as they had been reported there recently.  After parking the car I walked down the lane and was joined by Steve and Terry as I began to scan the bay.  Steve indicated that Terry had seen one of the Great White Egrets from the main road as they drove by.  A scan in the far corner produced both birds along with another two Little Egrets.  Further scanning produced nine Pintail, a Green Sandpiper and five Redshanks and there were four Red Kites over Burley Wood.  Steve found the Black-necked Grebes some distance off but they gradually came closer and provided better views.  He also found three female Common Scoters a long way down the north arm towards the dam.  Steve and Terry had seen a red-headed Smew from Wigeon hide earlier and also two adult White-fronted Geese and the Greenland White-fronted Geese on the fields behind lagoon five but they had flown towards Manton Bay.

When I reached the reserve I checked lagoon one first and counted fifty-seven Pintail and also saw a single Curlew.  There was a Great Spotted Woodpecker on the feeders as I started to walk out to Wigeon hide.  I stopped and had brief look from Snipe hide on the wet meadow seeing another Little Egret and then saw another Great Spotted Woodpecker on the feeders from 360°hide but there was no sign of any geese.

On reaching Wigeon hide there were plenty of Tufted Ducks and Wigeon in south arm two and fewer Gadwall, Teal, Mallard, Goldeneye and Great Crested Grebes but I couldn’t find the red-headed Smew.  There was a female-type hybrid Scaup amongst the Tufted Duck but nothing else was observed.  There was a party of geese in the field on the opposite side of Heron Bay containing both Greylag and Canada Geese and also the two adult White-fronted Geese but the juvenile White-fronted Goose wasn’t with them.  Steve then rang to enquire why I hadn’t told them about the drake Smew in the fishponds, which was probably as I hadn’t seen it.  When I got back to the car park I went back to the north arm and found the drake Smew close to the bund, although it was rather elusive initially it did eventually give good views.  There were also now thirteen Goosanders present and I can only assume they and the Smew were perhaps close to the bank when I had looked earlier.

After some lunch I went to the reserve and walked to Shoveler hide on lagoon three in the hope of finding the first-winter Red-necked Grebe.  Steve and Terry joined me in the hide but we were unable to locate the grebe and presumably it may have gone as it had been totally loyal to this lagoon during its stay.  There was a male and three female Red-crested Pochard and two Black-tailed Godwits on the lagoon and plenty of common wildfowl, including Wigeon; Gadwall; Teal; Mallard; Shoveler, Tufted Duck and Goldeneye.  We called at Buzzard hide but there was still no sign of the grebe and so we continued onto Lapwing hide to overlook south arm three.  There were two male and three female Red-crested Pochard just to the left of the hide and a drake Goosander amongst the Tufted Duck and Coot close to the Green Bank.  Another party of Tufted Ducks close to Brown’s Island contained a female Scaup and Terry located two more Green Sandpipers.

I called at Shoveler and sandpiper hides on the way back to the centre but there was still no sign of the Red-necked Grebe and other than two Shelduck and several Shoveler there was very little on lagoon four.

I had another quick look from the centre before going back to the car park.  Whilst having a coffee before setting off home Terry came back and informed me he had had a male Hen Harrier fly over him when he was at the bottom of the ramp to sandpiper hide, which is an excellent bird for the counties.  Needless to say it appeared to just pass through.



No comments:

Post a Comment