Wednesday 10 December 2014

A day at Rutland Water, Rutland - December 9, 2014

I started off at the Lyndon Reserve with the intention of trying to find the two European and the single Greenland White-fronted Geese.  I took at look at the feeding station where there was a single Marsh Tit and Tree Sparrow but they quickly dispersed as a male Sparrowhawk appeared.  It was probably the same bird I had seen on Thursday but today it didn’t stop and perched and just make a couple of circuits of the feeders and the bush before moving off to the east.

I walked down the footpath to deep water hide where I could see a concentration of geese but all I could see were Greylags and Canada Geese with a white feral bird.  As I was scoping them some more came in and I noticed two as they landed where not Greylags and assumed they would be the two European White-fronts.  As I looked closer I could that they were not and I assumed they were Pink-footed Geese but they were too distant to be sure and so I continued on to Tufted Duck hide.  I was now much closer and was able to confirm that they were Pink-foots and I also found the juvenile Greenland White-front and a Barnacle Goose.  Wader Scrape hide is being rebuilt but I thought I would get a better view from the site but as I was about to walk down the path Steve called to say that he and Terry had found a Red-necked Grebe on the north shore of the Hambleton Peninsula.


I walked back to the car and drove around to the end of the peninsula and after parking walked down the old road to the end.  There were a party of Greylag Geese in the last field and on scanning I found the two European White-fronts with them.  I continued on to the end and walked around the shore to view the area between the peninsular and Whitwell.  There were few birds, a couple of Mute Swans, a few Mallard, a Goldeneye and several Great Crested Grebes but there was no sign of the Red-necked Grebe or the Common Scoter that Steve and Terry had seen at the same time.  I walked on the shore of the bay and then when further along the track to view the north arm.  The first thing I noticed was a fisherman and he was quite close to the area the birds had been and it was likely the grebe and the scoter had moved.  I scanned down the arm several times before finding the female-type Common Scoter but the only grebes I was seeing were Great Crested.  I had looked at a distant pair of grebes on several occasions but they were clearly Great Crested.  Feeling that I wasn’t going to catch up with the Red-necked I had one final scan and noticed that there were now three grebes together.  As I looked at them through the scope, one was clearly and Great Crested, but I was unsure about the other two as they were sitting with the head sunk into their shoulders.  I knew from previous views that one would be a Great Crested and sure enough the first to raise its head was.  The other continued to remain with its head sunk into its shoulders but after a few minutes it raised its head and I was able to confirm it was a Red-necked Grebe.  It was rather distant but I was pleased in finding again as it had gone some distance from where Steve and Terry had seen it.


White-fronted Geese


Cormorant off the peninsular

I made may way back along the peninsula and stopped to scan the north arm from the fisherman’s car park.  There were three more female-type Common Scoter towards Dickinson’s Bay and three Little Egrets in the bay but there was no sign of the Great White Egrets.  From the end of the road to Tim’s cottage the drake Smew was still in the fishponds and I found four Pintail in the north arm but again there was no sign of the Great White Egrets and I couldn’t find the Black-necked Grebes either.

After taking my lunch I went to the Egleton Reserve but there was very little on lagoon one, with fifteen Pintail being the best.  I walked to Shoveler hide on lagoon three seeing a few Redwings and a single Fieldfare on route.  There were quite a few duck on the lagoon, which were mainly Gadwall and Tufted Duck but there was also Wigeon, Teal, Mallard, Shoveler, Pochard, Goldeneye and a single drake Pintail and a Snipe flew over.

I checked crake hide on route to Lapwing hide but other than two male and a female Goosander there was very little.  There were plenty of birds visible from Lapwing hide, including four male and two female Goosanders and I also counted seventy-eight Pintail on the shore of Brown’s Island.  I caught up with Steve and Terry in Shoveler hide where a Peregrine provided some nice views as it flew around the lagoon for a few minutes before heading off to lagoon four.

We made a final check from sandpiper hide on lagoon four where Steve picked up the Peregrine on island seven.  It then took off and was seen flying around for quite some time and was often pursued by several Common Gulls.  It appeared to be enjoying the attention and it looked as if it was in a mind to do so could have taken any one of them at will but seemed content just playing with them.  Terry had already left when the Peregrine was putting on a superb display and I eventually left Steve who was planning to stay to the death, either watching the gulls or going back to lagoon three and hoping for the Bittern.

No comments:

Post a Comment