Wednesday 8 October 2014

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - October 7, 2014

I called at Eyebrook Reservoir first today but other than fifteen Snipe and few Lapwings there were no other waders at the inlet.  There were a couple of Shelduck and three Pintail on the water and a Red Kite and Great Spotted Woodpecker were observed in flight.

Whilst at Eyebrook Reservoir I had a call from Steve informing me that the drake Ring-necked Duck was showing well in Dickinson’s Bay.  I headed straight off but as I walked down towards the bay two fishing boats came cruising down the north arm and were causing significant disturbance and I could see the flock of Tufted Duck gradually taking to flight as the boat approached.  As I got into the bay most of the birds had flown but fortunately the Ring-necked Duck was still present with last of the Tufted Ducks.  I had a quick look through Terry’s scope and just got it in my own on it just as it went with the last two Tufted Duck.  It flew off towards the fishponds circling a few times before eventually coming down in the fishponds.  There were fifty-four Pintail in Dickson’s Bay and three Red-crested Pochard and Terry picked up a Marsh Harrier being mobbed by a crow over Burley Wood.  I then noticed two Buzzards on the shore line with one feeding on a dead fish with the second looking on rather anxiously.
Steve and Terry moved onto Whitwell and I went to the back to the north arm.  I had a look in the fishponds for the Ring-necked Duck but couldn’t find it although it had been seen earlier.  As I started to walk down to the spit Steve called to say they had found a couple of Rock Pipits at Whitwell and so I headed off to hopefully see them.  I searched the area where they had seen them but there was no sign but I found later that they moved to nearer the toilet block.

I returned to the north arm but there was still no sign of the Ring-necked Duck and on walking to the end of the spit I couldn't find any of the Ringed Plovers and Dunlin that Steve and Terry had seen earlier.  They had also had another five Red-crested Pochard but there was no sign of these either and most of the duck were now very distant having been disturbed by several fishing boats.  I did manage to find the two Black-necked Grebes in the centre of the arm and a Greenshank flew by heading towards the fishponds.  After having my lunch whilst searching unsuccessfully for the Ring-necked Duck I moved off to the Egleton Reserve seeing a Raven on route.

On arriving at the Egleton I went into the centre to view lagoon one.  There was a Redshank and a Green Sandpiper to the right and a Curlew flew in behind the long island.  One of the two Greta White Egrets also appeared at the back of the lagoon but there was no sign of the second.  A Sparrowhawk flew over the centre and a Hobby passed over and headed off over lagoon two.

I eventually set off towards lagoon three and four but took shelter in Redshank hide on lagoon two from a downpour, which lasted quite some time.  There was very little viewable from the hide except for two Hobby that flew over before the worst of the rain and female/immature Grey Wagtail that was present almost all of the time I was in the hide.  As the rain eased I made my way to Shoveler hide on lagoon three.  On entering the hide another birder had is scope set up on a Marsh Harrier that was sitting at the base of the reeds appearing to be eating something.  It eventually took to flight and after quartering the reeds for a while dropped into them.  There were far fewer birds on the lagoon today but there were five Red-crested Pochards, which I assumed were probably those seen in the north arm by Steve and Terry earlier.  The Marsh Harrier was then observed quartering the reedbed but then flew off low towards south arm three.  One of the other birders indicated that he had seen two Knot, several Ringed Plover and Dunlin and a possible Little Stint from Dunlin hide on lagoon four and so I went to take a look.

On entering the hide I found five Ringed Plovers and two Dunlin quite quickly and then I noticed two other waders being harassed by Lapwings and I could see that they were Dunlin.  A third bird was then flushed by a Lapwing and as it turned I thought it had a white rump but it dropped behind some rocks but was soon flushed again by the Lapwing and it eventually settled in front of the rocks and I could see that it was a nice juvenile Curlew Sandpiper. I informed Steve and Tim of the find and Steve said he would join me in about thirty minutes as he was in Snipe hide on the wet meadow.  I continued to watch the Curlew Sandpiper and the two Dunlin as the fed and preened along the front edge of the island.  The Dunlin suddenly got rather jumpy and both flew towards island one with the Curlew Sandpiper in pursuit.  They all settled briefly in front of island one but again the Dunlin took to flight and the sandpiper followed.  They flew low over the lagoon when suddenly the gained height and headed off south and presumable departed.  The Curlew Sandpiper had not been reported earlier and I suspect that they came down in the heavy rain and still had the urge to head south.  As I continued to scan the lagoon Steve arrived and was disappointed to have missed the sandpiper by just a few minutes.  I then found a Ruff and Steve picked up a Raven and a Sparrowhawk over Burley and two Buzzards, one over lagoon three and the other at the back of lagoon four.

I finally decided to call it a day but Steve was going to have a coffee and then take a look on lagoon three before coming back to lagoon four to view the gathering of gulls at the pre-roost.

I was almost back to the centre when he called to say he had a Goosander on lagoon three, which was the first of the autumn.  I headed back to Shoveler hide only to be told on arrival that it had disappeared behind the island.  I decided to go and take a look from Bittern hide but hadn’t gone too far when Steve called to say it was back out and so I returned to the hide but it had now gone behind the reed island.  I felt my best option was now to go to Buzzard hide and on entering the hide found the female Goosander heading back to the island and eventually out of sight again.  There were also an additional four Red-crested Pochard on the lagoon.


It was an appropriate time to call it a day and I headed off back to the car park seeing a Curlew as I approached lagoon one.

No comments:

Post a Comment