Wednesday 1 October 2014

A day at Rutland Water, Rutland - September 30, 2014

I was out a little earlier today as there had been two Great White Egrets on lagoon three at Rutland Water yesterday afternoon.  On reaching the car park I set off down the service road towards lagoon three and met Richard Bayldon, who had already been in all three hides on lagoon three without success but was having to leave to go to work.  I decided to go to Smew hide on lagoon two to see if they were there but on a quick scan there was no sign.  There were a few Pintail on the lagoon and I started to count them when I came across one of the egrets and then found the second behind some reeds.  I called Steve to let him know they were still here, although he had seen them yesterday Terry had not.  I went to Lapwing hide where I could see both birds clearly, although they were rather distant.  They appeared to be close to Osprey hide and so I felt it would be worthwhile going there.


Great White Egrets from Lapwing hide

As I walked back towards Osprey hide I met Steve and Terry who were on their way to Lapwing hide and after a quick discussion we continued on our way.  A few minutes later Steve called to say that he had seen them from over the fence and that they should be visible from grebe hide and so I continued on beyond Osprey in the hope of seeing them from grebe.  I spent a few minutes scanning without any joy and met Steve and Terry as I was leaving the hide.  Steve felt sure they should be visible and so I went back into the hide with him and Terry carried on to Redshank hide.  Again I scanned the area and couldn’t see either of the birds when Steve said one was in full view.  Another scan and still no joy and after a brief discussion it became apparent that it was hidden by a willow blocking my view.  Terry had come back and one eventually appeared, although the sun was now breaking through making viewing less than desirable.  A Kingfisher then flew in front of the hide and landed just to the left giving reasonable views.  Steve and Terry decided that they would continue with their routine, which was to visit several sites around the reservoir and come back later to see the egrets hopefully in better light.  I moved off to Osprey hide but on arrival there was no sign but one appeared in front of the hide a few minutes later and a I managed to get a few photos.  When it disappeared from view again I went to Shoveler hide on lagoon three were I found at least eight Snipe, two Green Sandpiper and a two Greenshank.  I advised three other birders as to where the egrets were and remained in Shoveler before moving off back to the centre and on to Snipe hide on the wet meadow.


Great White Egret from Osprey hide


Great White Egret from Osprey hide


Greenshank from Shoveler hide


Greenshank from Shoveler hide


Snipefrom Shoveler hide

There was very little on the wet meadow although I did have some nice views of a couple of Chiffchaffs and found a single Snipe on the edge of the flash.  Whilst I observed a Kestrel over the wet meadow I picked up a distant Hobby over the centre, which then proceeded to hawk over the wood before disappearing.  I continued on to Fieldfare hide and then to Gadwall hide, where there had been numerous duck last week but there was very little today except for a single Little Egret, a few Little Grebes and masses of Canada Geese.


Red-legged Partridge from Snipe hide


Grey Heron alighting on the wet meadow flash


Chiffchaff from Snipe hide


Chiffchaff from Snipe hide


Bkue Tit from Snipe hide


Mallard from Fieldfare hide

As I made my way back to the centre a couple informed me that they egrets had flown off just after they had opened the flaps in Smew hide and had not been seen since.


Cormorant over the Egleton Reserve

I called back at Snipe hide and saw a couple of Hobbies but nothing else of note and went back to the car park for lunch.

Whilst having lunch a Hobby flew over the car park and a Buzzard was observed just to the north.  I had been talking to Norman who was disappointed that the egrets had gone but he had seen one as it headed off over lagoon one.  A few minutes later his pager indicated that they had returned and were now back on lagoon two.  We walked down towards Smew hide where we met Brian who had seen them on lagoon two and as we talked Norman saw one fly over and appeared to go down on lagoon four.  We walked back to the short distance and climbed the ramp to sandpiper hide and Brian picked it up as it did its best to hide behind one of the islands.  It eventually came out and shortly afterwards flew to the western edge of the lagoon.  Ken then arrived and after observing it at some distance decided to go to Dunlin hide for a closer view.  A Red Kite also provided some nice views as it drifted over the lagoon.


Red Kite over lagoon four


Red Kite over lagoon four


Red Kite over lagoon four


Red Kite over lagoon four

I moved onto Shoveler hide on lagoon three where there were now three Greenshanks but no sign of any Green Sandpiper.  A juvenile Marsh Harrier then flew over the reedbed and after appearing to go over to lagoon four returned and came very close to the hide, giving excellent views.


Juvenile Marsh Harrier


Juvenile Marsh Harrier


Juvenile Marsh Harrier

A few minutes later someone indicated that there was a Little Egret flying over and as I looked it turned out to be one of the Great White Egrets and after circling it flew off towards the north arm.  I called Steve who was in the north arm and immediately picked it up passing directly over him and Terry.  Ken then joined me in the hide and it wasn’t too long afterwards when I picked up the Great White Egret returning from the north arm but it landed out of sight behind the reed island.  It was less than a minute later when it reappeared being pursued by a Grey Heron.  It then flew off towards lagoon two and appeared to come down on the lagoon.


Greenshank on lagoon thee


Greenshank on lagoon thee


Little Egret on lagoon three


Gadwall over lagoon three


Great White Egret over lagoon three


Great White Egret over lagoon three

Ken and I went to Smew hide to hopefully get further views of the egret.  When we entered the hide it wasn’t too far way and a few seconds later we found the second bird close by.  It had been some time since I last saw a Great White Egret so well and it was surprising how elegant they are and how thin their neck is.  Colin then called to ask if they were still about and shortly afterwards Dave called and he was a bit down as he had gone to the north arm looking for one, only to find they weren’t there.  He was surprised and relieved when I told him that Ken and I were having good views from Smew hide and he said he was on his way.

We had been watching both birds strut around the lagoon and were surprised that neither of them appeared to have attempted to catch anything.  When Dave arrived we explained what we had seen and he almost immediately said that one has just caught a Perch and as we watched it caught a rather nice second one, which it took longer to swallow.  The second bird was then seen to catch to smaller Perch in quick succession and we hoped they might stay a while if the feeding was good.  Colin had now also joined us as we continued to photograph and enjoy the birds.


Great White Egret from Smew hide


Great White Egrets from Smew hide


Great White Egret from Smew hide


Great White Egret from Smew hide


Great White Egret from Smew hide


Great White Egret from Smew hide

The birds eventually moved further away with one making a short sortie to lagoon one and so we moved off to Dunlin hide on lagoon four with Colin going to Shoveler on lagoon three.

There was nothing other than seven Yellow-legged Gulls amongst the resting gulls but we did find three Ruff and another Greenshank and an immature Shelduck flew in and a Sparrowhawk over.  Dave and Ken departed earlier than myself but I had very little else, the best being another view of a Hobby and a Marsh Tit near the centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment