Sunday 13 January 2013

A day’s birding in Leicestershire & Rutland - January 12, 2013


I went straight to Rutland Water this morning in the hope of finding the Hawfinch that has been seen a few times this year to the north of the car park and there were two reported yesterday.

I walk along the western track, which is not public access and saw very little until I was approaching the last field before the cattle grid.  There were a few thrushes in the hedge row and I decided to scope them.  There were three Redwing and a Fieldfare near the top of the hedge and as I lowered the scope there was another Redwing and a Hawfinch.  I started to increase the magnification on the scope but the Hawfinch flew off to the east.  I saw where it went but couldn’t find it but a few minutes later it flew back over the hedge and headed for Church Road to the west and appeared to drop down in a hedge, which I couldn’t see clearly.  After a short time without a further sighting I moved on to shoveler hide on lagoon three.

I soon found five Smew on lagoon three and eventually finished with seven but they were all red-heads.  I spoke to Tim Appleton to inform him about the Smew and he suggested that he showed me the work that had been completed on the new bittern hide.  There area had been cleared and there was now access to embankment that the hide will go on.  From the embankment a small pool had been created within the reedbed and the hide will have an excellent vantage point over the reeds and also part of lagoon three.
I paid a brief visit to plover hide on lagoon four but other than eight Shelduck there was little else visible.  I then walked to lapwing hide but there was little in south arm three and what there was, was very distant.


Mute Swan on lagoon four


Greylag Geese over lagoon four


Drake Gadwall on lagoon two

I spoke to Roger who was looking for the Hawfinch in the meadows so I joined him, Frank Pickering and Stuart Gill to see if I could see the bird again.  Roger had already been there some time and had not seen it.  There were quite a few birds in the far corner of the field and we eventually had Fieldfare, Redwing, Robin; Dunnock; four Tree Sparrow, Pied Wagtail, Meadow Pipit, Chaffinch; Greenfinch and Linnet but there was no sign of the Hawfinch.  A Buzzard and Peregrine were also observed and four Dunlin flew over.
After lunch I spent some time in the Bird Watching Centre overlooking lagoon one where I had a female Goosander, five Little Egrets, two Buzzards and five Curlew.

I eventually called it a day at Rutland Water and headed off for Eye Brook Reservoir.

I approached Eye Brook Reservoir from the north and had a single Little Owl in the old oak.  I parked by the fence on the western edge where I counted forty-two Dunlin but could not find the Ruff reported earlier in the day.  I drove to the southern watch point where Mick Kettley informed me that there were two Bewick’s Swans present but he thought they must have swam behind the island.  He then picked out what he thought was a possible Caspian Gull and we went over the style and walked to the island to get closer.  Most of the gulls were facing into the easterly wind and were therefore back on and we had to give up as we just couldn't get enough on them to identify them.  There was no sign of the Bewick’s either and a check at the inlet also failed to produce them and it would appear that they had gone.  A nice surprise as I was leaving the reservoir was a Barn Owl set on a fence close to the turn to the bridge.  It eventually flew off the post and around for a few seconds before it disappeared into the trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment