Friday 24 August 2012

A day at Rutland Water, Rutland - August 16, 2012


I had volunteered to support the Birdfair again this year and had been assigned to support one of the lecture theatres and had gone there today primarily to be trained.

I did however visit lagoon four before my arrange meeting with Chris Hughes for my training.

There were ten Little Egrets on the lagoon and I found ten Ringed Plovers, eight Dunlin, five Common Sandpipers and a Greenshank.  There was also two juvenile Black Terns amongst the many Common Terns roosting on the spits but as an earlier report suggested there was nothing new.  As I scanned one of the spits I noticed one of the waders looked small against a Dunlin and on checking with the scope I had found a Little Stint but suddenly there were two and then four juveniles together.  After the recent disappointments with Little Stints it was rather pleasing to have found my own.


Juvenile Little Stint on lagoon four

I returned to the car park for my lunch before joining Chris in Lecture Theatre Two for my training.  However the PC and projector were not yet available so we agreed to meet early tomorrow to finalise things.

I decided to go to lagoon three before going home where I located two Garganey and a Green Sandpiper and a Sparrowhawk was seen briefly as it caused some disturbance on lagoon four.
I called briefly at sandpiper hide on lagoon four and although there was no sign of the juvenile Little Stints there was now an adult present.


Female Wigeon over lagoon three


Male Gadwall over lagoon three


Common Tern over lagoon three


Juvenile Black Tern over lagoon three


Juvenile Reed Warbler from shoveler hide


Common Darter on footpath to redshank hide


No comments:

Post a Comment