Monday 16 April 2012

A day’s birding in Leicestershire and Rutland - April 16, 2012


Three Ring Ouzels had been present yesterday at Timberwood Hill and were reported again this morning, so I decided that is where I should start this morning.
When I arrived I walked down the bridleway and find another birder and his wife looking for the birds but they had not seen them.  He did say he thought he had two Wheatears on the fence and I looked and confirmed that what they were.  I looked further left and noticed more Wheatear, in fact there were nine, and then found the three male Ring Ouzels feeding amongst the grass close to the dry stone wall.  I was able to get good views through the scope but suddenly I could only see one but found a second in a small tree.  The third bird then flew up into the tree and the Wheatear also dispersed.  Despite waiting another forty minutes only three Wheatears were seen intermittently and there were no further signs of the Ring Ouzel.  I had been lucky, although I did find out as I was leaving two were being seen from the layby on the main road but much further away.
I moved off to Cossington Meadows and after some lunch walked north from the main road along the dirt road to Hobley Lake.  I then walked back via Moor Pool, the River Soar and Plover Meadow.  It was initially very quiet along the dirt road but there were a few birds on the pools in the northern part of the reserve including two Oystercatchers and several Redshanks and I did see a Little Egret in a ditch.  A Sparrowhawk was also observed over the lake and a Sand Martin and Swallow flew over.  I also saw a Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler and heard several Blackcaps as I walked back and there were two more Redshanks and a Little Ringed Plover on the pool in Plover Meadow.
I decided to go to Eye Brook Reservoir to finish off but on arrival it appeared very quiet although it was quite pleasant in the warm sunshine.  There were two Oystercatchers, two Ringed Plovers and three White Wagtail and single Sand Martin; seven Swallows and two House Martins were observed.  I had seen the Little Owl in the old oak as I arrived and as I was leaving a Short-eared Owl flew over the road and did see it over a field before it disappeared.

Little Owl at Slawston

No comments:

Post a Comment