Monday 9 April 2012

An afternoon’s birding at Eye Brook Reservoir, Leicestershire and Rutland - April 9, 2012


It had been raining most of the day but appeared to be clearing so I decided to go to Eye Brook Reservoir.  The rain still persisted but intermittently and was dry for a while at the reservoir but I eventually called it a day as the rain seemed to settle in more.
There was very little at the southern end of the reservoir, just two Oystercatcher, but when I arrived at the southern end another birder said that he had seen some Redshanks and thought one was a Spotted Redshank.  However some idiots had walked inside the confines of the reservoir and had flushed everything and there was now very little.
A Red Kite appeared over the fields on the Rutland Water but a single Swallow was the only other bird of note.  The walkers, a guy with his wife and three kids then appeared.  One of the birders informed them quite politely that it was an SSI site and then they should not be inside the fence.  They didn’t care, in fact the kids just laughed, and they continued walking around the reservoir.
Shortly after they had passed a number of Pied Wagtail and Meadow Pipit appeared and there were three White Wagtails amongst the party.  There was also a large flock of Linnets feeding on the ground.  A wader then flew in and it was a Spotted Redshank being joined by three Redshanks.  A Ringed Plover was then found and then a Little Ringed Plover.  The rain was now increasing and I decided to drive around the other side and as I turned right towards the Rutland back a party of C.100 Fieldfare flew over.  There was nothing new on the Rutland bank but I called Ken to inform him of the Spotted Redshank as he was at Rutland Water.
He was juts outside Uppingham and so I decided to return to the Leicestershire bank and wait for him.  When I got to the other side there was another women with two children inside the fence and there was no sign of the waders.  I got my scope out and started looking at the wagtails again as they were still present.  A Yellow Wagtail the appeared and sat preening in full view but as Ken pulled it another wagtail flushed it.  I informed Ken what had happened and we both continue to scan seeing the three White Wagtails.  I then found the Little Ringed Plover and Ringed Plover and shortly afterwards Ken re-found the Yellow Wagtail.  Whilst he was looking at the wagtail I noticed a wader fly back in and it was the Spotted Redshank.  It was now starting to rain and so we both departed.

No comments:

Post a Comment