Sunday 15 April 2012

A day’s birding in Leicestershire and Rutland - April 13, 2012


I decided to go to Warren Hills today to see if there were any Ring Ouzels.  As I arrived another birder was leaving indicating that he had only seen a Wheatear.  There was very little in the top fields but there were clearly more Willow Warbler present today.  I eventually reached the bottom of the hill where I saw two Wheatears and my first Cuckoo of the year.  Roger had now joined me but had failed to see the Cuckoo but had heard it calling.  A Sparrowhawk and Raven where observed soaring to the west. We walked back to the cars seeing a few Buzzards over the woods and I picked up the Cuckoo in flight, which Roger managed to get on to.
 Male Yellowhammer at Warren Hills
 Male Kestrel at Warren Hills
Male Kestrel at Warren Hills
Roger and I made a brief visit to Charnwood Lodge Nature Reserve but found very little.
Roger was now going home and I decided to go to Swithland Reservoir for my lunch.  As I was driving to Swithland Reservoir there was a tweet from Rutland Water indicating that there was a Black-winged Stilt on lagoon four.
I spoke to Tim the reserve manager as I was arriving and he advised me to drive to dunlin hide as the bird was on the first island giving good photo opportunities.  When I got to dunlin hide the stilt had moved back to island five and was now some distance away.  It did return to the close island and I managed to get several good shots of the bird.  This was only the third record for Leicestershire and Rutland, the others both being of two birds, where in 1945 at Eye Brook Reservoir and 1987 at Orton-on-the-Hill.  I did not visit any other part of the reserve but did see two Oystercatcher, four Avocet, four Little Ringed Plover, two Ringed Plover, a Dunlin, two Ruff, two Curlew and four Redshank and there was also two Common Tern bathing.








Black-winged Stil on lagoon four at Rutland Water
I made a brief stop at Eye Brook Reservoir on route home where there were two Yellow Wagtails and at least six White Wagtails.




No comments:

Post a Comment