Wednesday 7 March 2018

Local areas, Leicestershire - March 5, 2018


Having not got out this month so far, I decided to visit a few sites close to home and headed for Great Glen first.  After parking I walked the short distance to the small lake on the southern edge of the village.  It was almost totally frozen over except for a few areas mainly close to the edges where bushes and trees hung over the water.  There were six Canada Geese, a Mute Swan and six Eurasian Teal on the water and a Grey Heron stood on a branch overhanging the water.

With little else I walked to the sewage farm but when I reached the farm there was nothing obvious on the filter beds and I was rather surprised as David had seen quite a bit yesterday.  I did spend quite some time looking around and eventually found two Pied Wagtails and a Common Blackbird on the beds and a Grey Wagtail flew onto a wall briefly before dropping on the other side, but I didn’t see it again.  As I walked around the edge of the farm I saw a few Common Chaffinches, a Yellowhammer and a Common Reed Bunting in nearby bushes and heard a Meadow Pipit but with nothing else I made my way back.  When I reached the lake, a Common Buzzard flew over and I heard a Eurasian Nuthatch calling but was unable to locate it and a Coal Tit was also heard but not seen.

From Great Glen I drove the short distance to Wistow Park, where the lake again was almost frozen over but there were a pair of Mute Swan and several Mallard, Coot and Black-headed Gulls.  A walk into the church yard produced just three Common Blackbird and I heard a distant Great Spotted Woodpecker drumming.

Finally, I went to Newton Harcourt church, where I parked and walked along the lane seeing two Goldcrests and Eurasian Nuthatch.  There was another Great Spotted Woodpecker drumming just inside the wood, but I was unable to locate it and a Green Woodpecker was heard on a couple of occasions but not seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment