Friday 23 March 2018

A morning in northwest Leicestershire - March 20, 218


I was just out for the morning today as I was attending my youngest granddaughter’s first production at school in the afternoon.  I decided to go to Watermead Country Park and arrived around 08:20 but found that the small nature reserve didn’t open until 09:00 and so walked south along the eastern shore of King Lear's Lake.  There wasn’t a great deal on the lake just a few Eurasian Wigeon, Mallard, Tufted Duck and Great Crested Grebe.  I heard a Green Woodpecker calling on several occasions and a Goldcrest but very little else.  When I reached the southern end of the lake I walked west and went over the bridge to reach the Birstall end of the park.  As I approached the bridge a single drake Gadwall flew over and on the next lake I found a single Common Pochard.  I continued along the footpaths and eventually heard my first Cetti's Warbler of the year but with just a few commoner species in evidence I made my way back along the western edge of King Lear’s Lake, seeing a single Little Egret.  When I reached the northern edge, I heard a second Cetti's Warbler call on a couple of occasions but wasn’t able to locate it.

The nature reserve was now open and so I went to Plover Hide to view the scrape, but it was fairly quiet with just two Common Shelduck and a few Eurasian Wigeon and Eurasian Teal.  I remained in the hide for a while and on hearing a Eurasian Oystercatcher, two dropped onto the scrape but I eventually went to a small hide overlooking a small pod on the edge of the reedbed but saw nothing.  I walked back to the path and then north through the nature reserve.  The Green Woodpecker was still calling occasionally, and I saw a Eurasian Sparrowhawk being mobbed by a Carrion Crow high over King Lear’s lake.  I had chat with a warden I had seen briefly in Plover Hide and whilst talking to him Andy Smith joined us, who was here to do some volunteer work.  As we stood talking five Fieldfare and a Redwing flew over and I saw a Long-tailed Tit.  I continued onto the hide where I found several Blue and Great Tits visiting the feeders, which then joined by four Long-tailed Tits and two male Common Reed Buntings.

As I walked back to the car another couple of birders thought they had seen a Common Chiffchaff feeding amongst a pile of cleared vegetation.  When I got there, there was no sign of the Common Chiffchaff, but I did pick up and Green Woodpecker in flight and then had some rather nice views of it after it landed in a tree.  A pair of Eurasian Bullfinch were observed as I approached the gate to get back to the car.

With still some time before I needed to head for my daughters to join my wife I decided to go to Swithland Reservoir as there had been a Black-necked Grebe present yesterday.

I drove down to the dam and found Norman scanning the water, but I drove to the end of the dam, seeing another Green Woodpecker, before turning and then joining Norman.  He hadn’t seen the Black-necked Grebe and said Steve had been earlier and hadn’t seen it.  I made several scans of the water during my hour long stay but could only find Tufted Ducks, Common Goldeneyes and several Coots, although the Black-necked Grebe was reported just after a reached my daughter’s.  Whilst looking for the grebe a Raven provided some nice views, a single Mistle Thrush was observed and a pair of Mandarin Duck flew over but there wasn’t a great deal else.

No comments:

Post a Comment