Thursday 23 November 2017

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - November 21, 2017

I headed for Eyebrook Reservoir seeing a Kestrel just after passing by Wistow Pool but other than a few Red-legged Partridge hadn’t seen a great deal else before reaching the reservoir.

I parked near the gate to the fishing lodge where I found thirty-three Red-legged Partridge in the field but with little else I moved onto the island coral.  I scanned the western shore I found a pair of Pintail and quite a few Pochard amongst the other wildfowl but there was no sign of the Ferruginous Duck.

I next stopped on near the fencing on the other side of the island and where I found a drake Pintail and a few more Pochard but still no Ferruginous Duck.  I scanned the far shore and found a large concentration of Pochard but due to them diving and the swell on the water it wasn’t easy and if the Ferruginous was with them I didn’t see it and moved onto the northern coral.

There were seventeen Dunlin and 460+ Golden Plover on the mud and there was a Little Egret on the far shore.  There were plenty of Teal and Lapwing around the stream, along with three Grey Heron and there was quite a few Black-headed and Common Gulls on the water.  Looking south along the reservoir there were plenty of birds on the water between the coral and Holyoke's and on scanning through them I found plenty of Wigeon and Coot, with smaller numbers of Gadwall, Mallard and Shoveler.  As I looked across the far side I picked up two Red Kites over the fields and a Buzzard perched in a tree.

I was going to drive around to the Rutland side but a message from Steve indicated that there was a Curlew Sandpiper with a party of Dunlin in the North Arm at Rutland Water and so I decided to go there.

As I drove down the unnamed road I scanned Tim’s feeders and found a Great Spotted Woodpecker was on the feeders with a few Blue and Great Tits.  After parking at the far end, I walked out to the spit to few the north shore.  The two Barnacle Geese were on the north shore and I counted seventeen Pintail amongst the more numerous Wigeon, Teal and Mallard but there was no sign of any waders.  I walked a little further to view the southern bay where I found five Great White Egrets and counted another sixty-five Pintail.  There was a large number of birds in this section that also included Wigeon, Gadwall, Teal, Mallard, Shoveler, Pochard, Tufted Duck and Goldeneye but there was still no sign of any waders.  Two Grey Wagtail then flew over, but I lost then when they dropped below the treeline.  I called Steve to see where he had actually seen the Curlew Sandpiper and he indicated that it was on the north shore with about forty Dunlin, but they had flown onto the spit briefly before going back to the north shore.  He also said he and Terry had seen a Common Scoter and Caspian Gull from Whitwell and that the three Red-breasted Mergansers were in the southern corner of the dam.  I scanned the north shore another couple of times but with still no sign I called it a day and went to Whitwell.

As I arrived at Whitwell Steve and Terry were just leaving, indicating that the Caspian Gull had flown off and they couldn’t find the Common Scoter off the peninsular but that the mergansers were still visible.

I walked out to the western entrance to the creek and scoped the southern corner of the dam but couldn’t find the mergansers and on scanning for the scoter had no joy with that either.  It was turning out to be a bit of a disastrous day and my only consolation was three Little Egrets and a Redshank in the creek.

I toyed with the idea of going to Sykes Lane car park and viewing the dam from there but decided to go to the southern end and view the dam.  I parked off the road and scanned the dam but there was still no sign of the merganser and I found out later that they had apparently flown off to the south shore.  As I continued scanning with bins I picked a bird up mid-water that dived and I considered diver or Cormorant, expecting the latter.  I got the scope on the area and when it hadn’t resurfaced quickly I began to favour diver.  I picked it up again but it dived almost immediately but then next time I got on it long enough to identify it as one of the Great Northern Divers that are now present.

A quick call at Normanton didn’t produce anything and I moved onto the Lyndon Reserve.  I walked down to the Teal Hide, seeing a single Tree Sparrow and Coal Tit at the feeders, and joined Steve and Terry in the hide.  Steve had seen five Great White Egret, but I could only find four and he then found a couple of Black-tailed Godwits near Goldeneye Hide.  There was also fifty-six Dunlin but after seeing them in flight on several occasions both Terry and I were satisfied that none were showing a white rump and therefore the Curlew Sandpiper wasn’t with them.  There was a single Redshank feeding along the shoreline and I counted another twenty-five Pintail.  Steve then located four female Goosander and Terry then found a male close by.  There was a party of Linnet I had seen in flight several times and whilst trying to get Terry and Steve onto them I saw a Sparrowhawk flash through where I thought they had landed and I didn’t see them again.  Steve then said I think I might have the Red-necked Grebe and increasing his magnification confirmed it and both Terry and I were able to get on it, although it was quite some distance away.  I could see a group of Red-crested Pochard on the far side and thought that there was at least thirty.

With nothing new being found for a while I went back to the car for lunch and whilst doing so had two Great Spotted Woodpeckers and a few winter thrushes.  Steve and Terry headed off for the Egleton Reserve whilst I decided to walk to Wader Scrape Hide to view Manton Bay.

When I reached the hide, there didn’t appear to be some many birds as of late, but I did find three Curlew and the Whimbrel was feeding between myself and Shallow Water Hide and there was a single Redshank on the near shore.  On the far shore there was a Great White Egret, which was presumably Steve’s fifth bird but other than a few Little Egrets there wasn’t much else, and I made my way back to the centre.

As I approached the centre there was a Tree Sparrow perched in the hedge and on continuing along the path three flew off to the south.

Disappointed that I hadn’t seen the Curlew Sandpiper earlier I decided to go back to the North Arm and give it another go.  As I walked towards the spit I picked up two Redshank that then landed on the spit and began feeding.  I had scanned both the north and south shores several times without finding any more waders when suddenly I picked up a party of Dunlin in flight with some Lapwing.  They landed on the far side, but I could see them and scanned through them but the distance and the fact they were feeding amongst the Lapwing and some gulls didn’t make it easy.  They flew several times and on one occasion I thought I saw a white rump, but I wasn’t certain and after several more scans through the birds was beginning to think that the Curlew Sandpiper might not be there and even if it was I wasn’t going to see it.  When suddenly a single bird flew, and I was pretty sure it displayed a white rump and it landed away from the main flock and I was able to see it was indeed the Curlew Sandpiper.  It is funny how your luck can suddenly change, and it was worth the effort as I had only seen three Curlew Sandpiper in November previously and this was the latest by some sixteen days.

I went to the Egleton Reserve to finish of the day and walked towards the northern lagoons seeing a Marsh Tit near the badger hide and c.1000 Golden Plover in flight over Lagoon Four as I walked along the path.  I met Terry as I approached Shoveler Hide and whilst chatting a party of Linnets flew over and I then continued onto Crake Hide.  There was a single Little Egret in the water and it wasn’t long before I had seen three Water Rails and then continued to Lapwing Hide.  There wasn’t so many birds close to the hide today and apparently the American Wigeon had gone back onto Lagoon Two.  I scanned through the birds and noticed a concentration of Goldeneye and on counting them found there were 115 and presumably they were likely to roost in the area.  A scan of Lagoon Two from the hide and then from Smew Hide failed to produce the American Wigeon and I moved to Shoveler Hide.

I found Steve in the hide who hadn’t seen a great deal but indicated that a Marsh Harrier had been performing, which I did see before starting to make my way back to the car.  There was a guy mothing near the gate and after a brief chat about what he might catch, I continued back to the car.

As I approached the gates that overlook Lagoon One I felt a few spots of rain and with it now being almost dark I went straight back to the car and thankfully I did as it started to rain quite heavy before I set off for home.

Despite missing several good birds earlier today the day gradually improved with the Curlew Sandpiper being the icing on the cake, making it a good end to the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment