Sunday 12 November 2017

A day at Rutland Water, Rutland - November 7, 2017

There had been a drake Ferruginous Duck in South Arm Three at Rutland Water yesterday evening and I was hoping it would still be there today.  I left home in rather dreary conditions being overcast and rather windy with some heavy drizzle.  I saw a couple of Red Kites near Tur Langton and a Great Spotted Woodpecker as I approached Cranoe on route.  I called Erik as I approached Uppingham, who had just arrived on site and agreed to give me a call if the duck was still visible from Lapwing Hide.

The drizzle had stopped when I pulled up in the Egleton car park and before I was ready Erik called to say that the American Wigeon was present but there was no sign of the Ferruginous Duck.  He mentioned that there was a large raft of birds near Fieldfare Hide but he was going to check out Lagoon Three, whilst I said I would go to Fieldfare Hide.

I spent a few minutes checking out the feeders where I saw a couple of Marsh Tit but was surprised that Erik caught me up before I had got very far down the path to Fieldfare Hide.  He had looked on Lagoon Three but there were very few birds and no Ferruginous Duck.

As we walked around the path we had a Red Kite over the path, a few Fieldfare and Redwing and two Goldcrest and a male Sparrowhawk flew over as we reached the turn to Fieldfare Hide.  There was a Great White Egret just in front of the hide, but it flew off towards Gadwall Hide and another Sparrowhawk flew over, which was larger than the one seen a few minutes ago and we considered it to be a female.

Scanning through the flock of birds it was immediately apparent that most were Coot with a just three male and a leucitic female Red-crested Pochard and a few Pochard and Tufted Duck amongst them.  Nearer to the hide there were a few Wigeon, Gadwall, Teal and nine Pintail.  Whilst we were scanning the flock a considerable number of Tufted Duck flew in and I picked out several Pochard amongst them.  Once they had settled on the water we were able to go through the flock but there was still no sign of the Ferruginous, but Erik did find a female Scaup.  I called Steve, who was in Lapwing Hide with Terry, to inform him of the Scaup and he confirmed that there was still no sign of the Ferruginous from there but that they had found thirty-two Red-crested Pochards in front of Brown’s Island and that they were now swimming out towards the end and we should be able to see them.  We could see at least some of them amongst the Coot but the mass of birds and the choppy conditions made them difficult to count and the most I got was twenty-eight.

Erik eventually decided to go to Lyndon to view South Arm Two and I also left a few minutes later and headed towards the southern lagoons.  As I walked between Tern and Pintail Hides on Lagoon Six I could see that the water level was now quite high and I couldn’t see any birds and so continued onto the 360 Hide on Lagoon Five.  The water level on Lagoon Five was also higher than my last visit and there were quite a few birds with the highlights being three Pintail and four Little Grebes.  Ken called whilst I was in the hide and I agreed to meet him in the centre in about thirty minutes.

I went into Snipe Hide before heading back to the centre but other than a couple of Black-headed Gulls on the flash the area was devoid of birds and I was soon on my way back to the centre.

After a chat with Stephen I went up to the viewing area and Ken joined me a few minutes later.  Eight Shelduck and two Pintail were the highlights amongst the small number of wildfowl on the lagoon and there were a couple of Little Egrets on Brown’s Island and two Snipe flew over.

With still no positive news on the duck I decided I would go to Lyndon and Ken followed me round to the car park.  After checking out the feeders where there was nothing of note, although a Sparrowhawk flew over twice being harassed by a Carrion Crow, we set off for Wader Scrape Hide to view Manton Bay.  We saw a few Fieldfare and Redwing as we walked down and there were a couple of Red-legged Partridge and four Skylark over the first large field to the south.  We called in Deep Water Hide to view the rafts of ducks in South Arm Two and although there were plenty of Tufted Ducks there was still no sign of the Ferruginous Duck.  There were a couple of Goldeneye on the far shore and another seven Pintail in the arm.

We moved onto Wader Scrape Hide and found six Great White Egret and nine Little Egrets feeding in Manton Bay but there were far fewer wildfowl than on my last visit.  As we scanned the area I counted eighteen more Pintail but the only waders I saw were a few Lapwing.  There was some disturbance and as the birds were settling again I saw a Black-tailed Godwit drop to the left of the hide and alerted Ken.  Andy Howes then called to say he had seen a Hawfinch fly over the path to Teal Hide and suggested that it might be worth checking out the feeders when we returned.

As we approached the feeders there were a few birds visiting them including a couple of Tree Sparrows but there was no sign of a Hawfinch and we went back to the cars.  Ken departed and after a bite to eat I went down to Teal Hide to view the South Arm.  I found two more Pintail to the right of the hide and I picked up a party of eighteen Goldeneye in flight that landed to the left of the island but there was little else and so I went to the North Arm.

I saw yet another Sparrowhawk over the road near Gunthorpe and on stopping briefly to view Tim’s feeders I had a Coal Tit and a Nuthatch.  After parking at the end of the unnamed road I walked out onto the spit and found yet more Pintail counting seventy-three with most being in the southern bay.  There were two Little Egret on the Sothern shore and another Great White Egret beyond the fisherman’s car park and two Buzzards over Burley Wood were to be my only sightings of the day.

Having returned to the Egleton car park I walked down to the centre and met Pete Jessop returning from the northern lagoons.  He hadn’t seen a great deal and had been unable to find the American Wigeon from Lapwing Hide.  I was considering going to Eyebrook Reservoir when he mentioned there was a Peregrine perched in a tree in one of the meadows and so I went to take a look.  His directions weren’t clear but on looking in the two areas I thought he might have meant there was no sign of the Peregrine and I decided to carry on to Lapwing Hide.

There weren’t too many birds close to the hide but on scanning a small party of Wigeon I located the American Wigeon but saw nothing else of note and returned to Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three.

Like most of the lagoons on the reserve at present there was very little with the area directly in front of the hide totally devoid of bird, except for a few Moorhen.  I did find three Pintail and heard a Water Rail but there was very little else and so I moved onto Sandpiper Hide.

Like the other lagoons, Lagoon Four was barren, except for the normal gulls at the now small pre-roost and a few Wigeon and Lapwing there was very little else.  My fifth Sparrowhawk of the day flew over and just before I called it a day four Dunlin flew around the lagoon, but I didn’t see them come down.  The weather had closed in whilst I was in the hide and it was now raining quite heavily but fortunately I had taken an umbrella and got back to the car without getting too wet.

With the Ferruginous Duck not being seen and the inclement weather made it a rather disappointing day with just seventy species being recorded.

No comments:

Post a Comment