Friday 16 June 2017

A day in Rutland and Lincolnshire - June 13, 2017

I was helping with the WeBS count today and therefore went straight to Rutland Water and after a chat with Steve agreed to count South Arm Three and Lagoon One.


Whilst I was getting ready after parking a couple of Swallows were coming quite close and collecting nesting material from the roadside allowing me to get one or two shots of them doing so.


Swallow


Swallow


Swallow

I initially walked towards the Old Hall to count the area out of sight from the cattle grid.  There were a few Mute Swan, two Egyptian Goose, a few Mallard and Tufted Duck and a single Little Egret.

I then walked west along the track counting the far side where there were a few Greylag Geese, more Mallard and Tufted Duck and a single Shoveler.  I had seen a single Common Tern but I then noticed several more towards the bund around lagoon two.  The Arctic Tern Roger and I had looked for on Saturday had been seen in the arm on Sunday and had been reported on Lagoon Four yesterday and I was hoping I might see it.

As I scanned the terns I noticed one was an immature and as it came closer I suspected that it might be the first-summer Arctic Tern.  It continued to come closer and I managed to get a few shots of it before it headed out to the centre of the reservoir and I continued counting.  I then noticed that it was back towards the bunds but was heading towards me again and I got some more shots of it as it passed quite close.  Any first-summer tern is quite unusual and I had seen it well enough to be certain that it was a first-summer Arctic and my first ever.


First-summer Arctic Tern


First-summer Arctic Tern


First-summer Arctic Tern


First-summer Arctic Tern


First-summer Arctic Tern


First-summer Arctic Tern


First-summer Arctic Tern


First-summer Arctic Tern


First-summer Arctic Tern

Tim had asked me to complete the Wet Meadow and I agreed to call him when I had finished as he hadn’t been able to contact Nigel, who normally counts the new lagoons.

I checked out the Spotted Flycatchers and saw both birds including one returning to the nest.  There wasn’t a great deal on Lagoon One of interest and two Shelduck were the best on the Wet Meadow from Snipe Hide, although I did have brief views of both Sedge and Reed Warbler.  I continued onto Harrier Hide and found an Oystercatcher and a Redshank on the other flash on the Wet Meadow.

I then called Tim and agreed to complete Lagoons Five and Six, leaving him to complete Lagoons Seven and Eight.  I saw a Chiffchaff and a Blackcap between Harrier and Tern Hides.  Lagoon six produced a pair of Mute Swan with four young and there were also two Oystercatchers.

As I approached the 360 Hide a Kestrel flew over and I had views of a Lesser Whitethroat as I walked down to Shelduck Hide to count Lagoon Five and a Great Spotted Woodpecker flew over as I returned and went into the 360 Hide to complete the count.

I had been surprised to see that the grass on the bunds was being cut, which is probably why there are so few birds on the lagoon, which was disappointing as it tends to be the best of the new lagoons.  All I had of interest were four Little Egret and three Oystercatchers and very little else in terms of numbers.  It seems a rather strange time to be cutting the grass as it is possible birds could still be breeding or at least their young using the long grass as cover.  Two of the commoner butterflies, Meadow Brown and Ringlet, which have not yet emerged, also tend to use the banks.

I returned to the centre to hand in my count figures and then spent fifteen minutes in the viewing area with Steve and Terry, where we had two Osprey and a Hobby, before we went for lunch.


European Hare on the path adjacent to Lagoon Five


European Hare on the path adjacent to Lagoon Five


Female Black-tailed Skimmer close to Snipe Hide

There had been reports of a Baird’s Sandpiper at Frampton yesterday and again today and after some lunch Steve and I decided we should go as there wasn’t too much at Rutland Water.

The Baird’s was being seen from the sea wall and so we drove to the parking area close to the wall seeing a Kestrel as we approached the reserve.  After parking Steve spoke to another birder who indicated where the bird was saying that it was quite elusive and that he wasn’t convinced that it was a Baird’s.

There were two birders sitting on a bench overlooking the marsh and they indicated where the bird was being seen but it wasn’t showing and they left shortly afterwards.  As Steve and I continued to scan the area three of the wardens arrived, including the finder, as recent reports had cast some doubt on its identity.  Steve then noticed a bird preening behind a tussock, which turned out to be the bird.  Over the next thirty minutes or so it showed intermittently and we also saw it in flight.  It was certainly an unusual bird with the upperparts and the neat pectoral band being a biscuit colour with an odd darker covert feather.  The rest of the underparts were white, with no noticeable streaking.  In flight, there was a pale wing-bar with the tail showing off-white sides and darker central area.  The bare parts were dark with the bill looking rather long with a distinct droop towards the tip.  The consensus was that it was an aberrant Dunlin and unfortunately not a Baird’s Sandpiper.

From the sea wall, it was nice to hear the drumming of two displaying Snipe, which I haven’t heard for some time and when they weren’t in flight we could hear their chipping calls.  We had also seen a couple of Barnacle Geese, a lone Brent Goose, four Oystercatchers, a Little Ringed Plover and good numbers of both Avocets and Redshank.

There had been a report of a Wood Sandpiper to the south of the road and so we walked back along the wall to view the area.  It wasn’t long before Steve picked the Wood Sandpiper up but unfortunately it was rather distant.  There were also good numbers of Redshank and a few Avocets and two more Little Ringed Plover.

As we walked back to the car there was a single Black-tailed Godwit to the left and then Steve found a male Ruff displaying to the right.  Another car was parked along the road as we started to leave and we then realised that he was watching something.  We stopped and four Least Weasels kept coming ono the road chasing one another and mock fighting.  I took some photos but another car came down the road and disturbed them after which they didn’t reappear and we departed.


Least Weasel


Least Weasel


Least Weasel


Least Weasel

No comments:

Post a Comment