Wednesday 11 January 2017

A morning in northwest Leicestershire - January 10, 2017

I decided to go into north-west Leicestershire today to visit several sites in the hope of finding four target birds, Mandarin Duck, Glossy Ibis, Raven and Willow Tit.

My first site was Kelham Bridge and I headed for the first hide where there is a feeding station.  It is the most reliable site in the counties to find Willow Tit and as opened the hide flap there was a Willow Tit on the feeders but it flew off almost straight away.  It wasn’t long before it came back and this time I had better views before it flew off again.  A Peregrine then flew over low and it was some time before any birds were at the feeders but the Willow Tit eventually came back.  With little else other than Blue and Great Tits and two Chaffinches visiting the feeders I moved onto the second hide.


There was very little on the flash in front of the hide just a few Moorhen and a couple of Coot.  The small flash on the other side of the hide produced a Black Swan and a Gadwall but with little else I made my way back to the car.


Black Swan


Gadwall

I saw a Buzzard on route to my next site, which was Blackbrook Reservoir where I was hoping for Mandarin Duck.  As I walked down the path to the reservoir I heard a Buzzard and a Nuthatch but didn’t see either of them.  There were six Little Grebes and a couple of Great Crested Grebe on the small section of the reservoir and on reaching the bridge I soon found a small party of Mandarin Ducks.  I eventually found nine males and three females along the southwest shoreline but as is usual at this site there was little else, just a few Mallard and a couple of Teal.

As I walked back to the car there was a party of Long-tailed Tits feeding in the bushes along with several Blue Tits and a single Great Tit and just after passing through the gate a party of c.150 Redwing flew over and landed in the trees.  Back at the car I watched a Carrion Crow mobbing a Sparrowhawk and a couple of Common Gulls flew over.

I parked on the road overlooking the southern section of Swithland Reservoir and found Andy Forryan on the bridge.  He had seen several Mandarin Ducks along the southwest shore but on scanning they had all disappeared.  There were thirty-two Shoveler on the water, which is a good number for here and I picked up a Kingfisher flying low over the water towards Rabbit’s Bridge.  Roger then arrived who was hoping to get Mandarin Duck on his year-list before he departs for Costa Rica at the weekend.  We scanned the edge of the water several times and I eventually caught site of a male perched in the bushes.

Roger then departed to Swithland Wood hoping for a Treecreeper and went to the northern section hoping for my next target Raven.  I parked at the far end of the dam and initially scanned the water finding nine Goldeneye but very little else.  I then scanned the skyline above Buddon Wood but there was nothing.  I looked at the tree where a Peregrine often perches but there was no sign but just to the right were two corvids, one in particular looking quite large.  I got the scope on the two birds and confirmed that they were Ravens and that was three out of three of the targets and quite easy so far.

Roger had informed me that he had seen the Glossy Ibis on Rectory Marsh this morning and so I was hopeful that I would get a clean sweep.  After parking I walked the short distance to the marsh and wasn’t surprised that there was nothing obvious on the flash as I went through the gate.  As I continued along the footpath a party of Teal flushed along with the Glossy Ibis, which then landed on one of the small islands.  I hadn’t seen it quite so close before and was able to get some nice shots as it preened and fed on the island.


Glossy Ibis


Glossy Ibis


Glossy Ibis


Glossy Ibis


Glossy Ibis


Glossy Ibis

After a short while it flew again and landed into the northeast corner of the marsh but eventually finished in the southwest corner, where I was able to get some more shots.


Glossy Ibis

With the ibis feeding contently I went back to the main track and walked north towards Tern Pool.  I had brief views of a Green Woodpecker but other than a few Pochards on Tern Pool saw little else other than seeing two Green Woodpeckers together and a Kestrel as I walked back to the car.

Although it was just after 13:00 I called it a day and went to my daughters as my oldest granddaughter wasn’t well and this allowed my wife to collect the younger one from school with dragging the older one with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment