Friday 6 January 2017

A day at Rutland Water, Rutland - January 3, 2017

With my wife planning a day shopping with my daughter I decided to make a further visit to Rutland Water and added House Sparrow to the year-list as I left home, which surprisingly I hadn’t seen yesterday.  A couple of Buzzards and a Kestrel where all of note I had seen before pulling into the Egleton car park.

As we had visited the northern lagoons yesterday I decided I would head off towards Lax Hill.  I added both Greenfinch and Bullfinch to the year-list before leaving the car park.  I went into the centre briefly and after a chat with Stephen and then set of towards Lax Hill seeing a Great Spotted Woodpecker as I went through the gate.  I hadn’t seen a great deal else before approaching Snipe Hide on the Wet Meadow but a Reed Bunting was another addition to the list as I approached the hide.  The flash was pretty much frozen over but six Curlews were feeding to the right of the hide taking the year list onto ninety.


I went into Fieldfare Hide but there were far fewer birds than recently and was about to leave when I noticed a wader walking into view from the right, which was a Green Sandpiper and another year-tick.

Like from Fieldfare Hide there were far fewer birds from Gadwall Hide and with nothing new I soon moved on towards Goldeneye Hide.  As I reached a rather large oak alongside the lower path I noticed that there were quite a few passerines feeding in it.  I stopped to get a better look and after picking up several Blue Tits I found a Treecreeper and whilst observing it a Goldcrest came into view behind it.  Two year-ticks in a matter of second taking the total to ninety-three.


Pied Wagtail

As I approached the wood on Lax Hill a Green Woodpecker flew over and on reaching Goldeneye Hide I found that like the previous two hides that there were fewer birds than of late with seven Pintail, a Redshank and a Grey Wagtail being the best.


Pintail feeding in front of Goldeneye Hide


Pintail feeding in front of Goldeneye Hide


Juvenile Grey Wagtail


Juvenile Grey Wagtail

As I made my way through the wood a Woodcock flushed, which was a nice surprise as both David and Roger had seen on route home yesterday, which I had missed.

I hadn’t seen too much else by the time I got back to the car but with Waxwings being reported in Oakham I headed there but they had disappeared and didn’t return during my stay.

I returned to the unnamed road at Rutland Water for lunch and was joined by Stephen, who had completed his volunteer stint and Pete Jessop and after I had finished my lunch we walked down the road to view the fishponds and the North Arm.  There were just a couple of Goosander of note in the fishponds and so we continued onto the end of the spit to view the North Arm.  Like South Arm Three there were fewer birds today and all we could find were the three Black-necked Grebes, a couple of Great White Egrets and a juvenile Grey Wagtail also dropped in front of us.

Stephen and Pete went to the dam to view the Surf Scoter but I returned to the Egleton Reserve and walked towards Lapwing Hide.  I met Terry coming the other way who had seen a Common Scoter from Lapwing Hide and after a brief chat I called Malcolm who was also on site and when I arrived he had located the scoter.  There were still a few Red-crested Pochards and Malcolm found a Slavonian Grebe and I then found s single red-headed Smew.

I brief visit to Crake Hide produced nothing of note but as I walked towards Shoveler Hide I heard a Water Rail call, which was my eleventh year-tick of the day.  From Shoveler Hide there were three Shelduck, eleven Pintail, six Red-crested Pochard, ten Pochard, five red-headed Smew, three Little Egret and two Great White Egrets.  Circa twenty Linnets flew over, which were my twelfth and final year-tick of the day, taking the total to ninety-seven.

No comments:

Post a Comment