Wednesday 9 December 2015

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - December 8, 2015

The overnight rain had ceased as I left home and headed for Eyebrook Reservoir, which I approached from the north.  There was no sign of the Little Owl as I approached the reservoir and I stopped and parked first near the inlet bridge.  There were a couple of Little Egrets in the stream and a Kingfisher was perched near the willow on the edge of the stream.  The plantation to the north of the bridge was fairly quite with just a few Fieldfares being the highlight but there was a couple of Red Kites over the field to the east of the bridge, a single Buzzard over the road just to the west and two more Buzzards between the bridge and the Stoke Dry car park.

I drove further around on the Rutland bank to view the inlet where a further rise in the water level had resulted in it covering all the exposed mud.  Consequently the only waders were several hundred Lapwings.  There was a fair sized concentration of gulls on the water, mainly Common but also good numbers Black-headed and few Herring and a single Lesser Black-backed.  The light looking out onto the reservoir was poor as the sun was trying to break through and it was reflecting off the water but I did manage to find a single Shelduck amongst the gulls and a single Goldeneye amongst the more common wildfowl.

With the light making viewing difficult I headed off to the Lyndon Reserve at Rutland Water and after parking walked through the gate to view the feeding station.  As usual there were plenty of Blue Tits visiting along with two Coal Tits and there were also several Chaffinches, three Greenfinches and a single Goldfinch.  I decided to head to Waders Scrape Hide to check out Manton Bay seeing a Little Egret in the bay as I set off.  There were small numbers of Fieldfare and Redwing today as I walked along the path but there were plenty of Blackbirds and I also saw several Goldcrest and three Bullfinches before reaching the path to the hide.

The water in the bay was still much higher than the reservoir and still unsuitable for waders but there were at least four Little Egrets in the bay and I could see a fifth on the bund across Heron Bay.  There was also four Egyptian Geese, good numbers of Wigeon and Teal in the bay with smaller numbers of Shoveler, Tufted Duck and Goldeneye.

As I walked back towards the centre a party of circa ten Siskin were observed in flight and on reaching the centre there was now a Marsh Tit and four Tree Sparrows on the feeders.  Looking out towards Gadwall Hide I found one of the Great White Egrets and a Little Egret.

There was news of a probable Black-throated Diver with the Great Northern Diver off Whitwell yesterday and I therefore made this my next port of call.  The car park near the restaurant was closed and so I had to park in the main car park and walk through the closed car park to view the main water.  I noticed another birder on the shoreline as I walked across the car park and when I reached the area found Ben, Brian, Roger and Terry all viewing the area.  They had found three Great Northern Divers, two of which were actually in Whitwell Creek with the third out on the Main Water and a little closer to the dam.  They got me on to all three of the divers but they were all actively feeding and were only showing briefly between divers.  There was no sign of yesterday’s probable Black-throated Diver, which we assumed might have been one of the Great Northern but a Red Kite and Sparrowhawk flew over and there were ten Little Grebes in the creek.

Terry had left just after I arrived and eventually we all headed off to the north arm to look for the wintering grebes.  After parking we walked down towards the end of the spit and Ben and I scanned the northern section whilst Brian and Roger continued on to view the area towards the tower.  There was no sign of anything out of the ordinary and so I went to join the Brian and Roger only to be called back by Ben who had found a Black-tailed Godwit on the northern shore amongst the gulls.  When we joined Briand and Roger they had located the two Black-necked Grebes and shortly afterwards I found the Slavonian Grebes off the fisherman’s car park and there were three Redshanks in the bay to our right.  I called Terry to see if he had located the birds and he had seen them form the Fisherman’s car park and had also probably had the Red-necked Grebe but it was even further down the arm.  Brian picked up a Peregrine over the fishponds and we viewed the fishponds as we walked back where there were three male and a single female Goosander.

Brian and Roger headed off to Egleton and Ben set off for home whilst I stayed to have my lunch in the shelter of the trees.  When I got to the car park at Egleton Briand and Roger was just finishing their lunch and we all went to the Bird Watching Centre to view Lagoon One.  The recent rains had raised the level of water on the lagoon but there were still ten Dunlin on the long island and I counted fifty-nine Pintail with another seven visible on Lagoon Two.  Roger then had a purple patch finding a Curlew in the meadow, two Jays on the Wet Meadow and a male and female Stonechat towards Mallard Hide and there was also what was probably the second Great White Egret, a Little Egret on the lagoon and five more Curlew flew over.

Brian and Roger decide to head off to Eyebrook Reservoir whilst I went to view the northern lagoons.  I met Terry coming back who had seen very little except for thirty to forty Golden Plover and two Dunlin on Lagoon Four.  After a brief chat I continued on seeing very little before reaching Sandpiper Hide on Lagoon Four.  When I opened the flap most of the birds were in flight but when they eventually came down I counted thirty-seven Golden Plovers but other than five Shelduck there was little else and I moved to Shoveler Hide on Lagoon Three.

I saw very little from the hide and fared no better from Redshank Hide and so continued back to the car park.  Gerry was now back with me and we stopped until it was almost dark looking out over the meadow with the owl box in, hoping for a Barn Owl but other than a few Redwing flying over we saw nothing else and we eventually called it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment