Tuesday 1 December 2015

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - December 1, 2015

This morning I headed for Eyebrook Reservoir and approached the reservoir from the south.  I parked near the entrance to the fishing lodge where I found four Red-legged Partridges in the field and a Kestrel perched on the hedge before moving on to the island coral.  There was nothing of note from the coral and I so I continued to the north side of the island to look for the Slavonian Grebe, which didn’t take too long to find and a Little Egret also flew towards the island.  Satisfied with the views of the Slavonian Grebe I went to check out the old oak for the Little Owl but there was no sign this morning and so I went back to the bridge at the inlet.  Since arriving I had seen quite a few Fieldfare and smaller numbers of Redwing and also five Bullfinches between the island and the second coral.

As I parked at the bridge there were six Little Egrets feeding on the stream but they all flew towards the reservoir as I got out of the car.  I was surprised to find that the water had risen considerably since my last visit but looking towards the reservoir I found three Shelduck, seventeen Dunlin flying amongst a flock of Lapwing and a distant Red Kite.  There had been a Common Redpoll seen yesterday but all I saw today in over an hour were two Lesser Redpolls and a nice party of circa thirty Siskin.

Further along the Rutland bank I counted thirty-nine Golden Plover amongst the Lapwings and there were another nine Red-legged Partridges in a field on the Leicestershire side.

With little else I moved to the Lyndon Reserve at Rutland Water where there were more Fieldfare and Redwing in the car park area.  There was a constant flow of Blue Tits at the feeding station along with small numbers of Great Tits, a couple of Coal Tit and Chaffinches and single Greenfinch and Goldfinch but there was no sign of any Willow or Marsh Tits.  Ten Egyptian Geese flew over and from Teal Hide four more Egyptian Geese, a pair of Goosander, seven Little Egrets on the Manton Bay bund and a Curlew below Lax Hill were observed.  As I walked back to the car I had another look at the feeding station but there was nothing new and so I went to the north arm.

After parking near the cottage I walked down the gate and viewed the fishponds where there were another thirteen Egyptian Geese and a nice red-headed Smew.  I found Bob at the end of the spit and as I joined him a Redshank called and I saw it flying towards the northern shore.  The two Barnacle Geese were on the north shore and there was a Little Egret on the bund.  Bob had seen what he assumed were the two Slavonian Grebes, which were quite distance but when we found another Slavonian Grebe nearer the fisherman’s car park we looked to see if the other two grebes were still present.  They were and now being much closer and we could see that they were two Black-necked Grebes.  Bob then found a Pink-footed Goose amongst the mass of Greylag and Canada Geese and we also saw a Red Kite and Buzzard over Burley Wood.

We drove to the fisherman’s car park on the Hambleton Peninsular to try and get a better view of the Slavonian Grebe.  However after spending probably fifteen minutes viewing the area we couldn’t find it and so we decided to go over the fence and view the arm from the shore.  As I walked down towards the shore there were a couple of Little Egrets and two Redshanks on the shore but they took to flight with a party of Wigeon.  I soon found the Slavonian Grebe towards the fishponds but was surprised that it was still quite distant but I then found a second bird that was much closer, along with three Pintail.  We continued to scan the arm to the east where there were quite a number of Great Crested Grebe in the hope of finding the Red-necked Grebe,  Our first few scans failed to produce anything other than Great Crested but I then saw a bird dive that I thought might be the Red-necked.  When it surfaced it looked very white on the sides of the face and I was unsure as it dived again.  I got Bob in the right area and we waited for it to surface again but this time, although it still looked very white around the face, I could see the yellow base to the bill, which confirmed that it was the Red-necked.

I left Bob having is lunch on the peninsular and I went to the Egleton car park to have mine before going onto the reserve.  Stephen who I hadn’t seen for a few weeks joined me in the car park as he finished his volunteer stint in the centre.  We discussed what I had seen today and our experiences during November and whilst doing so several Redwings were observed in the bushes and I was able to photograph one of them.





Redwing

As I walked down to the centre I heard a Grey Wagtail call and then saw it as it flew over heading towards the lagoon.  I viewed Lagoon One from the centre but it was pretty quiet except for sixty-two Pintail and a single Little Egret.  Both Great White Egrets had flown over earlier but there was no sign of either of them on the lagoon.  David then called to say that he had seen what might be a good contender for the Common Redpoll at Eyebrook Reservoir but he and other observers weren’t certain on the views they had but suggested that it might be worth me returning.  Whilst considering what to do I scanned Lagoon Two and saw a male Stonechat on top of the reeds between the centre and the Lagoon.  As it was appearing to be fairly quiet on the reserve I eventually decided that returning to Eyebrook Reservoir might be a good option and called it a day at Rutland Water seeing a Buzzard as I headed off.

This time I approached the reservoir from the northern end but there was still no Little Owl, although David had seen it when he arrived.  I joined a small group of birders near the bridge spent almost two hours viewing the trees to the north of the reservoir.  I did see a number of Siskin and at least four redpolls that were all quite clearly lesser and other than another three Red Kites I saw very little else.

I checked the oak again as I was departing and third time lucky as the Little Owl was sitting in its normal spot.  I headed towards Blaston and on reaching Stockerston Lane a Peregrine flew over the road and there was a Kestrel on a wire as I left the village and finally there was a Buzzard alighting in a tree as I approached Cranoe.

No comments:

Post a Comment