Wednesday 27 May 2015

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - May 26, 2015

I called at Eyebrook Reservoir briefly on route to Rutland Water seeing a Red Kite as I approached the reservoir and saw a male and female Blackcap near the bridge.  I then found sixteen Ringed Plovers, a Dunlin and perhaps more surprisingly a Common Sandpiper at the inlet.


Red-legged Partridge

On arrival at Rutland Water I walked to Snipe hide on the Wet Meadow but there was very little with five Little Egrets, four of them flying over being the best.  I then went to Shelduck hide on lagoon five seeing a couple of Redshank on lagoon eight on route.  I viewed lagoon seven before entering the hide and there were at least thirteen Common Terns that appeared to be sitting on nests on two of the islands but there was very little else except for a pair of Egyptian Goose with a well grown brood of seven and six Shelduck.  On lagoon five there had been two Oystercatchers sitting on nests for some time now but I couldn’t find any of them or young on the any of the islands from Shelduck hide.  I did however see another pair of Egyptian Goose with a brood of ten well grown young.  I called at the 360° hide to get a different view of the lagoon and found two Oystercatcher, one of which was feeding a single young bird.  There was also a couple of Redshank on the lagoon that were quite vocal and flighty.


Redshank

With two more pairs of Oystercatcher had been sitting on lagoon six so I called at Pintail hide and immediately found a pair feeding three young but there was no sign of the other pair either from Pintail or tern hides.  Again there were two Redshanks on the lagoon and a couple of European Hares.


European Hare

It was disappointing that out of six pairs of Oystercatcher that I could only find two with young and one with only one. I called at harrier hide next and found that the Avocets David had seen yesterday were still present and it looked as if one was possibly sitting on a nest, which was surprising as they apparently only arrived yesterday.  I called at Snipe hide again on the way back to the centre and had some nice, if brief views, of a Stoat on a couple of occasions and distant views of both Osprey and Hobby.  There is an area quite close to Snipe hide that can be good for insects, which was sheltered from the wind and pleasantly warm.  There was an Orange-tip, an Azure Damselfly and a Four-spotted Chaser.  A visit to Mallard hide on lagoon one produced nothing of note and after calling at the centre I went for my lunch.


Orange-tip


Male Pheasant from Snipe hide


Jackdaw from Mallard hide

Erik had joined me as I walked back to the centre and just as I finished my lunch Steve returned from the northern lagoons indicating he had seen very little.  However Erik and I decided we would go and take a look.  There was very little visible from Shoveler hide on lagoon three, although five male and two female Pochard was perhaps a little unusual, although they have bred very occasionally in the past.  We then called at Bittern hide where we saw a Buzzard and another Osprey and brief views of a Sedge Warbler.  A Wren had also built a nest in the hide and we were able to determine that there were several young but we didn’t see an adult whilst we were in the hide.


Mute Swan with five cygnets on lagoon three

A visit to plover hide on lagoon four produced a Little Ringed Plover and a couple of Ringed Plovers and there was a pair of Oystercatcher feeding along the bund just in front of the hide and we eventually managed to see a young bird with them.  As we were thinking of moving Erik found a Sanderling that was now with one of the Ringed Plovers and we suspected that it had just dropped in.  A visit to sandpiper hide, also on lagoon four, enabled us to establish that there were at least four Little Ringed Plovers, five Ringed Plovers, a Curlew and a Redshank on the lagoon, although we were unable to find the Sanderling again.  We also found another pair of Oystercatchers on the western bund but we couldn’t see any young with them, although it wouldn’t be too difficult for any to hidden within the vegetation.  Erik departed and I stayed a little longer but other than a third Osprey sighting and another Hobby over Burley Wood I found nothing else.  A made fairly quick visit to Osprey hide on lagoon two where I heard a Cetti’s Warbler on several occasions and once very sounding extremely close but failed to see it.

During the day I had seen or heard Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Blackcap, Garden Warbler, Whitethroat, Sedge Warbler and Reed Warbler and recorded seventy-four species at Rutland Water with eight-two in total during the day.  Not bad for what appeared a pretty quiet day.

No comments:

Post a Comment