Wednesday 20 May 2015

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - May 19, 2015

I was helping with a wildfowl count at Rutland Water this morning but made a brief visit to Eyebrook Reservoir first.  One of the Little Owls was at in the old oak as I approached the reservoir and after parking I could see that there were quite a few waders at the inlet.  As Scanned through them with the scope and there was a Little Ringed Plover, twenty Ringed Plovers, four Sanderling, six Dunlin and a Turnstone.  As I started to go through them again they took to flight and as they hadn’t returned within a few minutes I headed for Rutland Water.

On arrival at the fishponds I called Steve to see if he knew which areas we were counting.  He had already made a start and was on lagoon four and we agreed that I would do South Arm Three and lagoon one and he would do lagoon two, three and four.  Tim then called and was ok with what we had decided but was waiting for Nigel to make contact as he was hoping he would be doing the new lagoons.

When I arrived in the south arm there was a Whitethroat singing as I parked but there was very little in the south arm, just a few Mute Swan, Canada Geese, Egyptian Geese, a single Pochard, Tufted Duck, Great Crested Grebe and Coot.  On lagoon one there was a pair of Shelduck, a few Shoveler and a Wigeon but otherwise just more of what was in the south arm.  I walked to Snipe hide on the Wet Meadow to view the backsides of the islands but I added very little.  The pair of Pintail was still on the Wet Meadow flash and I saw my only Teal of the day on the flash as well as a couple of Redshank.  Nigel joined me in the hide and he had already counted the new lagoons and the Wet Meadow was his last area to count.  He had seen nothing of note on the lagoons just several 
Oystercatchers and a couple of Redshank.  As we were talking I saw nine Black-tailed Godwits drop onto lagoon one, two of which were still pretty much in winter plumage.  I called Steve to make him aware and it turned out he was rather conveniently placed to see them as he was in the centre.

I walked back to the car for some lunch before walking to sandpiper hide on lagoon four with Steve hoping that the now increasing showers would drop something in.  We soon found several Ringed Plovers and Dunlin and a Turnstone, which was pretty much what Steve had seen earlier.  However the number of both Ringed Plover and Dunlin appeared to increase during the afternoon and we eventually counted seventeen Ringed Plover and twenty-four Dunlin.  There was also two Oystercatcher, two Little Ringed Plover and a Redshank and amongst the small number of Common Terns we found three Arctic Terns.

Birds of prey were a little disappointing today with just two Red Kites, a single Buzzard and two Kestrels observed.


As the number of waders appeared to have increased I thought it would be a good idea to call in at Eyebrook Reservoir again on my way home.  I drove around to the northern coral where there was a Little Ringed Plover, ten Ringed Plovers, three Sanderling and two Dunlin and from the island coral there were two Little Ringed Plovers, a Ringed Plover, a Sanderling and three Dunlin.  As at Rutland Water there were plenty of Swifts and hirundines with all three species present but other then four Common Terns there was little else and I made my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment