Wednesday 14 January 2015

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - January 13, 2015

I went to the southern end of Eyebrook Reservoir first this morning hoping to find a Yellowhammer, which has eluded me so far this year.  I saw Buzzards as I approached Kibworth and Blaston and found a single Yellowhammer along the Stockerston Road.

There was little of note at the southern end of Eyebrook Reservoir but I did find several more Yellowhammers as I drove along the Leicestershire bank.  I parked up close to the bridge at the northern end of the reservoir in the hope of seeing the Bittern that had been appearing on and off during the past week.  Andy Mackay was also looking for the Bittern but despite spending almost an hour looking we had no joy.  A Lesser Redpoll flew over whilst we were looking but there was nothing else of note.  I finally left Andy to it and moved off to view the inlet area where I found two Snipe and eight Dunlin amongst the Lapwings.  There was a couple of Shelduck and three Pintail feeding on the water but very little else and so I moved on to Rutland Water.

I checked the feeding station first at Egleton seeing a range of common species before a Sparrowhawk flashed through, scattering everything.  On checking the book I was surprised to see that the Great White Egret was the only entry, which had been seen in the fishponds early this morning but more recently on lagoon one but had flown off over the bund towards lagoon two.  The light was not brilliant from the centre but there was no obvious sign of the egret on lagoon two.  I decided to go to Shoveler hide on lagoon three and call at both Redshank and Osprey hides on route to get different angles of lagoon two and hopefully find the Great White Egret.  I had no luck with the egret by the time I had arrived in Shoveler hide and there was no sign of it on lagoon three either.  There was a party of c.20 Snipe flying over the reedbed and I did find four Pintail and two red-headed Smew before I received a tweet from Tim Mac informing me that the Great White Egret was back on lagoon one.  I quickly retraced my steps back to the centre seeing two egrets on lagoon one as I approached the centre one was clearly a Little Egret but the other was more distant and I continued on to the centre.  Initially I was hopeful that it was the Great White but a scope views showed it as just a Little Egret.  I spent some time in the centre searching the area where it had been seen without success but did count forty-three Pintail and seven Goosanders.  It was possible that the egrets was out of sight close to harrier hide but I decided I would have my lunch before going round there to check.

I went back to the centre before heading off to harrier hide only to be told that it had reappeared shortly after I left.  Thankfully it was still present and negated the need to walk to harrier hide.  Steve had called to say there was an Oystercatcher close to the Old Hall, which is quite an unusual bird to the counties in January and worth seeing.  Steve and Terry were in the car park having lunch as I walked back to the car and whilst talking to Steve we had twenty-three Golden Plovers flying high above the lagoon and Terry and I saw an egret flying off to the north and agreed that it was most probably the Great White, which had disappeared by the time Steve and Terry reached the centre.

I went to the Old Hall with Pat and we soon located the Oystercatcher just east of the hall.  Steve had also indicated that there was a Pink-footed Goose and two White-fronted Geese in the field behind lagoon three and as we dropped down the hill from Hambleton we could see a flock of geese in the field.  We parked in the fisherman's’ car park and walked back up the hill to view the geese and soon found the single Pink-footed Goose but we couldn’t see all of the geese and were unable to find the White-fronts.  The weather had now taken a turn for the worse and the sleet became quite heavy and so we returned to the car park at Egleton.  Pat departed and almost did the same but decided to have a coffee first and by the time I had finished the weather had improved and so I walked back to Shoveler hide on lagoon three.  Just after arriving Steve and Terry arrived and we found a Green Sandpiper and three Redshanks and a male and four red-headed Smew.  The only other bird of note was a Sparrowhawk, which was observed both perched and in flight.


We eventually moved on to Dunlin hide to check on the gulls on lagoon four.  There was a couple of Shelduck and nine Pintail and a few gulls gathering at the pre-roost.  The number of gulls gradually built up but was mainly Herring and Great Black-backed, although there were also a number of Black-headed and Common and a couple of Lesser Black-backed and Steve located a first-winter Yellow-legged Gull.  I eventually gave up as I was feeling pretty cold and the light was beginning to fade.

No comments:

Post a Comment