Wednesday 21 January 2015

A day at Rutland Water, Rutland - January 20, 2015

I had decided to visit Normanton at Rutland Water first today in the hope of finding some Mandarin that had been seen on Sunday’s wildfowl count.  It had been very cold overnight and the car was indicating 5°C on route and so I was taking it pretty slow during the first part of the journey.  When I arrived at Normanton it was still very cold but the sun was shining and there was very little wind.  Having parked up I walked through the car park before viewing the fishing boat harbour but there was no sign of the Mandarin there or a little further on when they are also seen.  I decided to continue to the church to view the main water there were a few Wigeon, Mallard and Tufted Duck close to the shore and several Great Crested Grebes and Cormorants further out on the water and just beyond the church there were more of the same and then I noticed a pair of Mandarin, which were just beyond a group of Mallard.  I walked onto the path around the church and set the scope up to view the main water, which was like a sheet of glass.  I then noticed the Mandarin take to flight and heading west.  As I scanned the water for a diver I saw Steve and Terry on the shore at Whitwell and with no sign of a diver I gave Steve a call.  They had seen the Red-necked Grebe along the northern shore of the peninsula but they also had not been able to locate a diver.  I made several more scans of the water before heading back and flushed a Grey Wagtail from the shore close to the church.  As I approached the end of the bay I noticed a bird just off the fishing boat harbour and on raising the bins confirmed my suspicions that it was one of the Great Northern Divers.  I watched as it dived several times and on each occasion it had moved some distance into the south arm.  I called Steve to make him aware of the diver and then continued back to the car.

I drove to the dam hoping to see a Skylark, which has been quite scarce locally this year, but several had been present near the dam last week.  Steve stopped as he and Terry were heading for Normanton to tell me several Whooper Swans had flown over with two grey geese and had headed west down the north arm just after I had spoke to him.  He had tried to call me but it went straight to voicemail and obviously they weren’t in view too long.  I had no luck with any Skylark and suspect they had moved again in the recent cold snap.  Steve then called to say that the two European White-fronted Geese were visible on the end of the Hambleton Peninsula.  I drove back to the sailing club, seeing a Sparrowhawk on route and met Dave Grey as I parked.  We walked to the bay east of the sailing club to view the peninsula.  There were a party of Greylag Geese in the first field and I soon located the two White-fronts at the right hand of the flock.  Dave and I then scanned for the diver and I eventually picked it up quite close to eastern end of the dam.

Dave and I then moved off to Dickinson’s Bay where we soon found the two Black-necked Grebes.  A Redshank was on the near shore, two Red Kites were observed one to the left of Burley House but the other passing over the access road and a Buzzard was seen as it dropped onto the ground from a tree and then returning to its perch a few minutes later.  With little else I went to Egleton for lunch.

Mike followed me into the car park and Pat arrived whilst we were having lunch after which we all went to the centre.  We could see that both lagoons one and two were almost completely frozen over and so we set off to lagoon three.  A Curlew flew over the large meadow as we walked to Shoveler hide and on arriving we found that lagoon three was also frozen.  There were eleven Curlew on one of the exposed islands and we eventually also saw five Snipe and three Redshanks.  Two Shelduck flew in and a pair of Pintail flew over on a couple of occasions but with little else we moved onto Lapwing hide.

As we approached the hide two drakes and a female Goosander flew over and on entering the hide we found that South Arm Three was completely ice free.  There were plenty of birds feeding on the water and we found a male and four red-headed Smew and another male and female Goosander.

As we walked back to the centre we bumped into Steve and Terry who informed us that they had seen several Siskin towards the far end of the summer trail.  Pat and spent quite some time looking for them but all I could see were Blue Tits, although Pat thought he might have had a Siskin at one point but we were unable to locate it.

On reaching the car park I decided to go to the north arm where I found the Great White Egret feeding in the fishponds but as I called Steve to make him aware it flew off and came down in the north arm nearer to the road, where surprisingly it couldn’t be seen.


It had been a cracking day weather wise, albeit a little cold, that had produced a good array of birds and saw another couple of Buzzards on route home.

No comments:

Post a Comment