Wednesday 19 November 2014

A day in Leicestershire & Rutland - November 18, 2014

I went to Eyebrook Reservoir on route to Rutland Water seeing a couple of Red Kites as I drove along Stockerston Lane and a Buzzard just after coming out of Blaston.

I approached the reservoir from the southern end and found five Fieldfare and two Tree Sparrows near the old feeding station.  Surprisingly there were still plenty of Red-legged Partridges around considering the regular shoots and I counted sixty from the southern perimeter road.  When I arrived at inlet most birds were in the air but they soon settled and there were twenty Golden Plovers, four Dunlin and twelve Snipe, although the water had risen and there was no visible mud.  I had counted forty-eight Pochard near the island, which is a good number for here but other than a Shelduck at the inlet there was little else.


When I arrived at the Rutland Water Bird Watching Centre I decided to walk to Lax Hill and check out the feeding station.  I had single Coal and Marsh Tits on the centre feeders and Tim asked me to fill the feeders on Lax Hill if necessary.  I called at Snipe hide initially and as I approached the hide a Great Spotted Woodpecker flew over.  There was a pair of Shelduck on the flash and a Great White Egret was visible on the long island on lagoon one and a Buzzard on the old Kestrel box and I also counted thirty-three Pintail on the lagoon.  With little else I moved on to harrier hide but saw very little and so moved onto Fieldfare hide.  As I walked along the path a Red Kite was observed to the east and eleven Redwings were observed in the wood to the right but there was very little from Fieldfare and so I continued.  On reaching Gadwall I was surprised to find very little as there had been plenty of ducks just over week ago and the Long-tailed Duck was seen from here yesterday.  Despite a good search I was unable to find the Long-tailed Duck and so I continued onto Robin on hide on Lax Hill.  The feeders were completely empty as was the dustbin that contains the food and so I was unable to fill the feeders.  I went to Goldeneye hide but other than hearing a Redshank saw noting of note.  I decided to recover my steps and called at Mallard hide on lagoon one where I found nine Curlews bathing in the shallows and there was a single Little Egret but the Great White Egret had disappeared.


Nine Curlew on lagoon one


Eight Curlew flying off after being disturbed by an aircraft

After some lunch I set off towards Shoveler hide on lagoon three and bumped into Bob as he was returning to the car park.  I Great Spotted Woodpecker flew over as we stood talking, although Bob hadn’t seen too much but said the Red-necked Grebe was still on lagoon three.  When I reached the hide I soon found the juvenile Red-necked Grebe but there was very little else.  I called at crake hide on route to Lapwing hide but other then another Little Egret there was little else.  On reaching Lapwing hide there was a mass of birds between the hide and the green bank but on scanning I found that most were Coot, although there were good numbers of Wigeon and Tufted Duck as well with a few Goldeneye but I didn’t see anything else.  On scanning another flock alongside Brown’s Island I found a single female Scaup amongst the Tufted Ducks.  I had a look on lagoon two from the hide and found a Great White Egret on the far shore, which was then joined by the second after a few minutes.  I continued onto Smew hide but couldn’t see either of the Great White Egrets but counted fourteen Pintail.  After a few minutes one of the Great White Egret appeared and then they both flew towards Lapwing hide but I could then only find one on the lagoon.







Great White Egret

I called at Buzzard hide on lagoon three and found the Red-necked Grebe close enough to get a record short but unfortunately it gradually moved away towards the centre of the lagoon.



Juvenile Red-necked Grebe

As I was walking towards sandpiper hide on lagoon four a Cetti’s Warbler burst into song but as usual there was no sign of it.  There were thirty Shoveler on lagoon four as well as two Shelduck, four Little Egrets and two Yellow-legged Gulls.  I eventually made my way back to the car park and drove to the north arm.

The light was beginning to fade and I couldn’t find the Greenland White-fronted Goose, the Slavonian Grebe and either of the two Black-necked Grebe, although they had all been seen earlier.  One of the two Great White Egrets was on the bund along with nineteen Little Egrets with another three Little Egret in the fishponds.  There were three Barnacle Geese amongst a flock of Greylag Geese on the north shore with a drake Goosander on the water and two females on the shore.  Again I heard a Redshank calling but was unable to locate it although I did find another Yellow-legged Gull amongst the pre-roost gathering.

With the light fading fast I eventually called it a day and headed off home seeing a Buzzard and Green Woodpecker near Tugby.

No comments:

Post a Comment